Author Topic: darn (attaching string to sticks)  (Read 4643 times)

CHRISPY

darn (attaching string to sticks)
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:00:54 AM »
ok i was practicing, and the string came undone on one of the sticks. Is there a certain why to tie it back on and make it stay?

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 12:15:36 AM »
more knots maybe? :?

seán_

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:53:33 AM »
What kind of sticks? a bit more info and a better subject line wouldnt go amiss

Carbon fiber: enough of a knot that it wont pull though into the shaft, or a bead between the end and the knot or tie the knot with a loop seem to be the three most common ways

Henrys metal: square knots, some use two as this means the knot wont pull through on snarl ups, I prefer to use the smallest knot I can to allow it to swivel in the stick end so the string doesnt twist up on itself. trim or melt the excess

Babache extreme and energy: 2 square knots per end, trim or melt of the excess

Wooden: bowline like my avatar, this helps to prevent the string wrapping up on the stick during suns etc. Some people just tie wooden sticks any old way. Tempei uses Henrys sticks with the tapered holes, I think he just ties a simple knot that jams in the taper.

Have a look in the Stickies on the forum where a lot of equipment and trick questions have been covered.

Spooned

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:00:30 PM »
Quote from: seán_
Babache extreme and energy: ... trim or melt of the excess

Sorry if this is OT but whats the point in this, i've never done it and mine work fine  :?
Diabolo or Diablo

Twilite

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »
Quote from: Spooned
Babache extreme and energy: ... trim or melt of the excess

Sorry if this is OT but whats the point in this, i've never done it and mine work fine  :?

Just keeps it tidy; stops excess string waving around I guess? Melting will cause the loose end to warp a little and may stop it pulling back through the knot too?
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
I'd guess because these sticks have string tied onto the inside of the end caps, if you have too much left over it'd stop you being able to screw the caps on tightly enough.  Correct me if I'm wrong seán_  :)

seán_

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 05:54:19 PM »
I find if I have excess string with my babaches that I either cant get the ends to screw on snuggly or the string doesnt swivel in the ends,
This becomes even more important if by some miracle babaches quality control have missed sticks where the ends are either loose or have not been inserted far enough in.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 09:45:40 AM »
This becomes even more important if by some miracle babaches quality control have missed sticks where the ends are either loose or have not been inserted far enough in.
From my experience, companies that manufacture things, don't check them.  They kinda assume they're correct.  If they buy in parts, they'll check those.  At the most, they'll probably check a "sample" size.  But with MB, can't be surprised if something "falls through the net".  

And a nice tidy knot just looks nicer, it's all about taking pride in presentation.  And if it looks good, it usually works good (unlike certain classic cars)

Chiok
(who's gonna have a sit down chat with Mr. Babache if I see him...)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal