Author Topic: Site Organization  (Read 5470 times)

Mithew

Site Organization
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:07:06 AM »
I was looking on Jongle.net, and they had a sticky for ideas for site improvements, i thought it might be nice for diabolo.ca to have one too.  
The thing that I find most troublesome is that there's all those old topic threads, and since the search is ineficient, no one goes and reads them (and so they often start new topics when they can't find the old ones, cluttering up the site).  I remember someone mentioning the possibility of having seperate links for the different types of topics (Eg. videos, gear, etc), that would make it a lot easier to search for stuff.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Matt_

• Donator
Site Organization
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:26:48 AM »
the crappy search is a function of phpBB, not anything else. maybe there should be a fundraiser so Sean can buy VBulletin, or someone can help to switch to another type of forum software.

theoretically, switching to VBulletin, you wouldnt have to worry about "keep it to one thread" or those huge sticky lists that you have to read through. the search function is efficient enough where people can make threads about anything, and one person can easily search and say "this exact thread is where your answer is", rather than saying "just search".

personally, i hate that term, "just search it". well if it's so damn easy, go search yourself and bring back the answer!

Mithew

Site Organization
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 10:42:35 PM »
yeah.  Maybe this should be a thread also for if anyone doesn't know where to find something (or wants to know if a thread on it has been made already), they can ask instead of starting a new topic.  Someone who knows the site well and who has spare time could then direct them to it.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

martijn

Site Organization
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:39:51 AM »
Quote from: Mithew
Someone who knows the site well and who has spare time could then direct them to it.

That would be me :P I've been here since the beginning (just like Sean, sean_, Arjan, Barnesy...) and I know pretty much what has been discussed here before, so I know where to search for.

You know it's a bit annoying sometimes when people are starting new threads about things that have already been discussed over and over again. *Sigh* the life of a moderator :)

Spooned

Site Organization
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:40:16 AM »
You can always speed up seraching in phpBB:
1) Always use the serach first (worth a try)
2) If the search return 10+ etc pages you can always use CTRL-F (dont know about mac) to search for a topic that you remember the name of
3) Use keywords in your search, 'and' is the most useful
Diabolo or Diablo

thewu

Site Organization
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 06:53:48 AM »
maybe we can have seperate forums for each category? like one for video.. one for trick.. one for gear.. etc. so we won't have so many topics to go through in one forum.

Matt_

• Donator
Site Organization
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 07:13:11 AM »
i dont think enough people go here for that. even after going away for 4 days i came back to see like what, 10 or 15 topics posted in? big deal. i came back to Emuforums (where i am an administrator) and there were 295 new topics posted in.

if diabolo.ca got that big, i think it's a possibility.

by the way, how much does something like Vbulletin cost? evne an older version is ok. i dont have much money to spare (i dont really know how im gonna pay my bills this month, actually) but i'm willing to get some money out there to Sean to get this forum running on better software.

Sean

• Administrator
Site Organization
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 02:12:25 PM »
Quote from: Matt_
by the way, how much does something like Vbulletin cost?

Quote from: vBulletin
vBulletin (Owned License) - $160.00 [USD]
The owned vBulletin Forum license allows you to run the software on your site indefinitely. Along with this license, you will receive one year of free updates. Beyond the first year, you will have to pay a nominal fee, currently $30, to obtain updates for an additional year.

vBulletin (Leased License) - $85.00 [USD]
The leased vBulletin Forum license allows you to use the software on your site for 1 year and gives you access to products updates for that year. After 1 year, you must renew your license or remove the software from your site.

I've read a bit about it, I'd be willing to switch if we can come up with the money as a group prior to purchasing. First, I think people would have to be convinced that there would be a significant advantage to switching. I'm open to comments. :)

nezzybaby

Site Organization
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
Ive found various sites with poor search functions, this is not by any means the worst. (that would be the imperial college website).

The secret to searching sites which don't have decent search facilities is the wonderful world of google.

type in your search, and follow it with the line site:diabolo.ca

this will perform a google search within diabolo.ca, finding all topics containing the required information, may not be overly useful, but ive found its helped me a lot in the past.

Nogbad

Site Organization
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 07:50:28 PM »
Honestly, I know I'm new.  And I've not posted a great deal for fear of being yelled at more or less.  

But I would be very willing to perhaps in the near future front the bill or at least a good bit of it for this.  That is after some of my personal expenses have been taken care of.
Reggie

Matt_

• Donator
Site Organization
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 02:17:52 AM »
Sean, off the top of my head i'd say:

1. better searching. good lord, MUCH better searching.
2. better user categories (regarding moderation groups [mod, super mod, admin, or other categories with various privileges], user titles, user categories [different star rankings that go by post count], stuff like that)
3. in my opinion, a better looking forum. it just looks and operates much much smoother. which brings me to my next point...
4. quick reply! man that's something we need here. well i think you can have it with phpBB but....meh.
5. better smilies
6. ability to upload files to the board itself (pictures and other small files...i dont know if you'd want to spare the bandwidth for that, however). again, phpBB might have this option too.
7. more user options, like the ability to change the posts per page, for example. also in the same vein, a much more detailed user CP and much better profiles.

there are probably more. that's just off the top of my head.

and hey, we could set up a "get VB" fund. 16 people donating 10 dollars each? a lot of people go to this site; even chipping in a measly couple of pounds, dollars, or whatever the currency is in your country would help out. i donated already, and i'll donate again.

thewu

Site Organization
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 02:38:24 AM »
well i guess to run it on the cheap side phpbb is fine. a newer version (3.0 i think?) of phpbb is coming out that has similar features as VB, like permission masks, subcategories, easier templating, better search criteria, etc.

just my side of the opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal