Author Topic: "SEARCH" guide?  (Read 2684 times)

Diabolo88

• Donator
"SEARCH" guide?
« on: March 13, 2006, 12:37:06 AM »
I don´t know if this has been requested before, but if I could use the "SEARCH" properly I wouldn´t need it (and I would know if it had already been requested).

Anyway, maybe it would be good if someone put a guide up on how to get the most out of the search function on the forum (or maybe a link to a good guide). I openly admit that I suck at both computers and english so everytime I try to search for something specific I get hits for every thread on the forum so it doesn´t help anyway. Also, I don´t know what some on the stuff that are mentioned on the searchpage mean (like "wildcard") so that also makes it difficult.

It might seem unnessesary but I think it could actually help some people (including myself) to explain the "SEARCH" and its functons in greater detail. Also, that might help people to find the right threads to ask questions in.

I am sorry if this has been suggested before (or if there´s too much hassle with a guide).

Matt_

• Donator
"SEARCH" guide?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:10:27 AM »
well, phpBB probably has THE WORST search function of any forum software ever created. well, at least out of the popular ones.

the best you can do is check "display results as posts" and cross your fingers.

Mattias

"SEARCH" guide?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 09:40:51 AM »
that is a good idea. Every time searching you end up with 50 resulting topics as tricks are mentioned everywere.

I can not fathom why this forum type does not have "Search only topic titles" as it is the most useful function a forum search can have.

But I think it is worth checking through 50+ topic titles to prevent a repost. If only everyone can name their threads properly and not "I need help", but the etiquette thread might help prevent that.

Cudos to me for the most unhelpful post ever.
Cheers!
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal