Author Topic: Getting Started?  (Read 10626 times)

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:08:54 PM »
Hello everyone, allow me to first introduce myself.   I'm Reggie Abdin.  I stumbled across your forum when browsing my favorite pastime, Footbag's forum (modified.in).

Being that I'm injured and cannot play footbag.  This seems as though it bay be a fun alternative.

Now, forgive me if this as been asked before.  But what must I do to get into this?  what is the best way to start?  is it very costly?  Is it hard to learn at the beginning?  Are there competitions and get togethers?

It seems fun and interesting and I'd like to get into it, but need more background as to what I need.
Reggie

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Getting Started?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:19:22 PM »
Hey Reggie welcome to the forum, I don't remember this being discussed before.

To begin with you just need to go at your own pace and enjoy learning the basics- www.diabolotricks.com is a good place to learn some of the basic tricks. Then practice linking these together in combos and then move on to some of the more advanced tricks. Read the forum a lot and practice twice as much and you will improve rapidly. As for cost you can buy a cheap diabolo for $10 something like that? that way you can see if you like diaboloing. If you like it then you may aswell invest some more money into it and buy a good quality diabolo.

Hope this helps,

Leo
Behind your back is your front.

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:20:48 PM »
Where do I get a diabolo and sticks and that type of stuff?  If I may ask.
Reggie

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Getting Started?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:25:06 PM »
http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/ this might be able to find some shops that sell diabolos in your area. If not www.firetoys.co.uk ship to the US.

However you can find some cheap diabolos in toy/hobbie shops.
Behind your back is your front.

fredo

Getting Started?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:31:43 PM »
I just wanted to say the usual stuff about the etiquette but realised, that there's no thread for real beginners... :lol:

OK, my suggestion would be to buy a book and a cheap diabolo first. It shouldn't be too small, like a Harlekin Medium and, that's the most important thing, not too light...

john_s

Getting Started?
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:35:38 PM »
also, see if there is a local juggling club to you - http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/ is a good place to start if you're not sure - that's a good way to not only meet some diabolists to help you, but also a chance to maybe try out a few different kinds of diabolo too, from people with different styles.

a lot of juggling clubs have a lot of skilled people into a range of different activities too, i know at the one in sheffield there's a group of people who play hacky sack a lot, so maybe you'll even meet fellow footbaggers there too?

/john

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 08:58:36 PM »
It really confuses me, I dunno what sticks I need or string or what the best diabolo is, I think I'm in over my head already :shock:  :P
Reggie

fredo

Getting Started?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 09:31:06 PM »
A lot about that question can be found in the Equipment sticky ...so have a look at it...

If you've got enough money and want to play seriously, buy a Finesse or Circus and Henrys alu or Carbon handsticks. Henrys yellow string is commonly used (I use MB Performance). But I would suggest buying a cheap beginners diab with wooden handsticks first. The only thing would be string... On firetoys, for example, you could compare the cheap diabs with the finesses. The weight should be about equal... The diameter isn't so important at the beginning... I would suggest a MB Harlekin Medium for about 10€ and buying yellow Henry's string...

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 10:22:08 PM »
I think I'm going to do it, but one more question.  I have limited use of my right hand/arm.  It was from pre-birth complications.  basically, I lack fine motor movement in that hand.  meaning I can't do the very small minute quick movements.  such as typing (I taught my self to type one handed). Would this seriously put me at a disadvantage should I decided to try this out, and right now I'm really very close, a mouse click away, really.
Reggie

frank0072

Getting Started?
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 11:02:02 PM »
There are no movements that require that your hands move like typing, all moves are far les precise. Btw, it depends if your dominant hand is malfunctioning. If that is the case it might be harder, but then again, the chalange is even bigger and the satisfaction greater if you pull of a trick nicely.
I would recommend to do it (obviously) :)
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 11:23:56 PM »
No, No, my dominant hand is my left.  Whether that was sposed to be or that just happened because of the problem at birth, who knows, but that hand is just fine.  It's my right that is not.
Reggie

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 03:11:11 AM »
Well, made the plunge.  Ordered a medium Harlequin, standard sticks and yellow string.  My question now is how long will it take to get from the UK to me here in WI?
Reggie

frank0072

Getting Started?
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 06:54:17 AM »
So, your dominant hand is left. That means that you make the most movements with your left, and your right hand is just 'supportive', especially in the beginning.
Please keep in mind that since you are a 'leftie' your diabolo will spin in the other direction, so keep that in mind when learning tricks from the internet. Most of the time they are explained for righties.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 12:15:35 PM »
Thats what I gather.  Infact some of thhe trick explainations I've read even say, "change everytime you see right to left if you are left handed."  I can't wait for my things to get here.  Granted I imagine they'll take their time coming from the UK to here.
Reggie

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 07:47:36 PM »
Well, found out my things will be here in approximately 5 days.  I cannot wait.  What should I know when I first start out?  I'm really very excited to take this up.
Reggie

frank0072

Getting Started?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 08:43:27 PM »
Well, the most common tricks are trapezes and suns. These come right after you have learned to give the diabolo a little speed, and maybe even some throws. After you have learned those you can continue with orbits around the leg, the arm and eventually the body. Except for around the body these things will take you maximum 2 days to learn. If you can do that you have the basic things, and then you can move on to improve your skills, learn how to gain more speed, learn magic knots, advanced tricks etc. etc. Much to be learned, but the basis is rather easy.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Nogbad

Getting Started?
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 09:25:51 PM »
should I keep the string that comes in my sticks or should that right away be changed to a length of the yellow string I ordered?  Also, how long does a string generally last before it needs changing?
Reggie

Mithew

Getting Started?
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 02:16:38 AM »
Quote from: fredo

OK, my suggestion would be to buy a book and a cheap diabolo first. It shouldn't be too small, like a Harlekin Medium and, that's the most important thing, not too light...

why a book?  Most of the beginner tricks can be learned very well online (diabolotricks.com).  The books i've seen haven't been very useful, we're expensive, and didn't have many tricks i hadn't seen elsewhere online.

Also, Nogbad, this forum is pretty big, with lots of information on it.  Try searching through old posts a bit, they are very useful (for questions about diabolo gear, check the Equipment sticky.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

frank0072

Getting Started?
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 04:26:04 AM »
Quote from: Mithew
Quote from: fredo

why a book?  Most of the beginner tricks can be learned very well online (diabolotricks.com).  The books i've seen haven't been very useful, we're expensive, and didn't have many tricks i hadn't seen elsewhere online.

Also, Nogbad, this forum is pretty big, with lots of information on it.  Try searching through old posts a bit, they are very useful (for questions about diabolo gear, check the Equipment sticky.

I agree with you on the usefullness of internet, but I have learned everything from a book the first month, you can't take your pc to your garden you see... Now I find internet more usefull, but when I started a book was perfect.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Chiok

• Donator
Getting Started?
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »
I dislike books in general, but I'll agree that having one of the diabolo books (any of Donald Grant's or Diabolo A-Z) is very useful for when you're not at a computer.  Some people aren't able to read what they need to online, remember it, then go and play.

Easiest thing, find others that can diabolo.  They love to show off and help you learn a thing or two ;-)  Oh and I'd suggest keeping the string you get with the sticks when you start out.  It's a "grippier" string if you can imagine that and will make starting it spinning alot easier.

And it's good that you're left-handed.  Alot of diabolo tricks are dominated by your stronger side, so you shouldn't have too many issues.

Best of luck,
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal