Author Topic: Fan 180 or more> How to?  (Read 20532 times)

Arjan

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« on: December 07, 2004, 09:35:52 PM »
Hello,

I need some advise on my fan 180. It just doesn`t work really.
So I`m talking about a normal fan, done at the normal side (for me right, I`m a lefty)
Can someone help me?

Sean

• Administrator
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 11:10:31 PM »
Tahia seems to be one of the better (non-Japanese) fan 360 experts out there. Care to film a tutorial for us Tahia?

Here's a bit of footage I have of Chris Heckman, who probably has the most solid fan 360 in North America, with Matt Hall a close second (I'm not even on the list ;) ). I see that Chris has signed up to the forum. You out there Chris? We'd love to hear from you.

It's the fan 360, shot from 3 different viewpoints. I thought it would help in figuring out what's going on during the trick. If you've seen the IJA 2004 video I did, you've already seen the footage. I just put it together this time with some slow motion added. After all, what better things do I have to do with exams coming up? :roll:

http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/fan360_3views.mpg (6.8 MB)

Sean

Arjan

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 11:25:33 PM »
Thnx Sean! I would love this to be able to do this.

Notice the guy in the back with the diabolo`s under his arm walk frusrated away in the second scene  :)

Punkerpanda

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 11:43:11 PM »
sean, do you know what song that is? i really like it

Arjan

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 11:46:23 PM »
Indeed nice music! He would be sure able to tell, I`m sure.

Sean

• Administrator
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 11:59:24 PM »
It's by the Blue Man Group. That song is called 'Exhibit 13'. I also used music by them in my fan tutorial video and in the s-fan entry/exit trick version that is on my site. All their music is made with homemade instruments such as tubes, whips, and swinging poles. Some of their music has lots of whipping sounds in it that could work well with diabolo videos.

Edit - You can listen to the entire song and see the music video at:
http://www.exhibit13.com/

Sean

Tahia

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 07:11:21 AM »
well in two week i'll try to do a tutorial for 180 Fan 360 Fan 540 fan 720 fan 900 fan and 1080 Fan of course :D  8) !!
thank for saying "one of the better (non-Japanese) fan 360 experts out there" it's too for me  :oops:  !!!
 i've somme idea to do the tutorial ;)!!

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 09:01:48 AM »
I´m pretty confused about s- and c-fans.
What is the difference?
 My s-fan sucks and I haven´t tried c.
 I can try to do few videos later this week, about my fans and 3d start, and hopefully somebody could analyse them, but first I gotta do them.

seán_

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 04:07:49 PM »
Basically a C-fan is the regular fan, the pattern the string makes passing over both axles is 'C' shaped. in this fan one diabolo gains some speed but the other looses speed so it can't be kept in a fan for very long.
The S fan you get one of the diabolos on the darkside of the string so that the string forms an 'S' shape, this fan can be kept going for longer because both diabolos gain speed but it is harder to exit from.

Check here for a list of posts about different tricks including C fans and S fans
Trick & video archive
Sean has an excellant couple of videos on Fans and S fan exits, you can find them in there too.

Seán_

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 08:08:33 PM »
Sorry I mixed c and s...

Arjan

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 09:59:06 PM »
Quote from: seán_
Basically a C-fan is the regular fan, the pattern the string makes passing over both axles is 'C' shaped. in this fan one diabolo gains some speed but the other looses speed so it can't be kept in a fan for very long.
The S fan you get one of the diabolos on the darkside of the string so that the string forms an 'S' shape, this fan can be kept going for longer because both diabolos gain speed but it is harder to exit from.

Check here for a list of posts about different tricks including C fans and S fans
Trick & video archive
Sean has an excellant couple of videos on Fans and S fan exits, you can find them in there too.

Seán_

To my understanding, a C-fan is not a regular fan. Because there is not wrap involved. It`s like a sun, but then different.
To my knowledge, there a 3 fan theories:
regular fan
C-fan
S-fan

then, with the theories, they could all be reversed, anti clockwise, clockwise and so on.

anyway, check out this: [trick]Fan done by Priam

Tahia

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 11:36:18 AM »
well i do the regular fan now but to do the 180 fan  the C fan is better... S fan is hard to do in 180 and regular too :D!! sometime i do 360 with the 3 fan but it's not easy :D

seán_

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 01:43:39 PM »
Quote from: Arjan

To my understanding, a C-fan is not a regular fan. Because there is not wrap involved. It`s like a sun, but then different.
To my knowledge, there a 3 fan theories:
regular fan
C-fan
S-fan

then, with the theories, they could all be reversed, anti clockwise, clockwise and so on.

anyway, check out this: [trick]Fan done by Priam

Well that tells me then :) so if I try the three entrys into fans from Seans tutorial http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20
of
Quote from: Sean

Three methods of starting the fan are featured:
1. Backwrapping one diabolo (or using a stopover) with the left stick for right handed diaboloists.
2. Using an armstall. This method is easy to get the motion started with but difficult to line up at first.
3. Vortexing into the fan. This method is probably the easiest once you have learned the vortex, although the vortex may be challenging to learn in itself.

then 1 and 3 involve wraps, 2 doesent yet is not a C fan? I'm still confused.

And I still haven't a clue about how to do a 180. I suppose it will all become clear with Tahias tutorial.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 02:34:44 PM »
Sorry to be holding back the rest of the class, but what exactly is a "regular" fan. :?  :oops:

Tahia

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 03:51:23 PM »
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=48

here you can see whatr is a regular fan :p!!

for the tutorial be patient the next  week i promise ;)

Sean

• Administrator
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 04:03:46 PM »
OK, to clear up some things:

C-Fan (to the best of my knowledge) stands for Clockwise-Fan. This is opposed to AC-Fan which stands for AntiClockwise-Fan. The S in S-Fan represents the shape of the string around the diabolos.

I don't know what a proper definition of a 'regular' fan would be. The traditional fan for a right handed person is the anticlockwise fan (AC-Fan) on the left side. The traditional fan for a left handed person is a clockwise fan (C-Fan) on the right side.

I think you could classify all fans in which there is a half twist in the string on one diabolo as 'regular' fans. It doesn't matter which of the 3 methods from my video you use to get into the fan... the resulting fan is identical. The only "wrap" is the half twist of string on one diabolo. For the traditional right handed diabolist anticlockwise fan, the wrap is on the left diabolo and it is this diabolo that will slow down.

Now I think the C and AC fans usually correspond to the 'regular' fans, although I suppose theoretically we could classify anticlockwise S-Fans as S,AC-Fans and so on. This gets reduntant though, since only anticlockwise  S-Fans will speed up both diabolos and are therefore useful. The clockwise S-Fan will slow down both diabolos.

Sean

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »
The more I learn the less I know!

Arjan

Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 04:54:40 PM »
Sean, about what fan was Priam talking in that topic I started. I believe a C--Fan without wrap. This is still a mysterie for me.

Sean

• Administrator
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 04:59:43 PM »
Quote from: Arjan
Sean, about what fan was Priam talking in that topic I started. I believe a C--Fan without wrap.

No, it's just a plain C-Fan (Clockwise Fan) on the left. You can start or transition into any fan from a sun. Some are just easier than others. Priam's start is a 'trick start'. As long as both diabolos are on the same side of the string there will always be at least one half twist around one of the diabolos in  the fan. When you transition into a sun from a fan you will lose the half twist of string.

Of the 'regular' fans there are 4 main combinations. C-Fan on the right, C-Fan on the left, AC-Fan on the right, AC-Fan on the left. That's it. Maybe a good topic for a video tutorial some day. (I need to get better at some of them first if I'm going to do it though :P  )

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Fan 180 or more> How to?
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 05:04:15 PM »
Quote from: Sean
The clockwise S-Fan will slow down both diabolos.

Sean

I may be loosing my marbles here but, I think you should be able to drive the diabolos so long as its still the left one on the darkside. Don't ask me how you could get in and out of this. There would be more twist in the string so "s" may not cut it any more. Good luck trying!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal