Author Topic: Lefty's!!!  (Read 10869 times)

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Lefty's!!!
« on: December 07, 2004, 09:59:31 PM »
I just read Arjan's post on the 180 fan, the only lefty I knew of before that was Fred, who else happens to be a closet lefty out there?

Don't you reckon it just makes learning tricks from vids so much easier, just havin to mirror everything and all, no need to reverse it all  :D

Arjan

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 10:04:05 PM »
LOL! I know Fred is a lefty, also Vux, and me.. hmm.. maybe I forget some  :?

Tom_G

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 10:12:26 PM »
Quote from: JGherkin
Don't you reckon it just makes learning tricks from vids so much easier, just havin to mirror everything and all, no need to reverse it all :D

I bet it does.... lucky buggers  :P

At one point I found myself facing backwards to my comp screen looking over my shoulder while trying to do a 2 diabolo stall - Do NOT try this at home - I missed the string with the second diabolo, it bounced off my desk and wall, and the light bulb in my room has not yet recovered.
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Tom Derrick

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 10:21:11 PM »
I'm starting to do lefty diabolo. I can do a couple of basic tricks, and I'm getting looped orbits down at the moment. It's a nice challenge.

barnesy

• Administrator
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 10:25:39 PM »
Sean_ is a lefty, and Dave Kelly here in Liverpool is as well.  

I've still not got round to attempting passing with a lefty, but it should be fun.  Standing face to face, one person would have one diabolo, and the other would have two, and they should be able to  get some sort of cascade pattern going.  

People who were at this year's Liverpool convention will remember seeing Dave Kelly do exactly that trick, only solo, using handsticks with a string at each end.  :shock:    I'm working on getting a video of it out of him!

Arjan

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 10:43:53 PM »
Indeed, I heard passing with 1 lefty and 1 right handed person should be a lot of fun. I found that to. There are lot`s of things to do.

barnesy

• Administrator
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 10:46:16 PM »
We'll have to try it at Nijmegen (he says, planning his holidays six months in advance!)

Arjan

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 11:28:54 PM »
I to plan my holidays a half year before ;)
You come to Nijmegen? That`s great! I think there are gonna be a lot more diaboloist then this year.

seán_

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 01:41:53 AM »
Quote from: barnesy

That sir is a vicious libel, I shall be informing my lawyer first thing in the morning. I merely do right handed diabolo as if I was left handed ;)

I've still not got round to attempting passing with a lefty, but it should be fun.  Standing face to face, one person would have one diabolo, and the other would have two, and they should be able to  get some sort of cascade pattern going.
  This would be nice to try. I believe JiBe has some clips of face to face passing (so to speak)

People who were at this year's Liverpool convention will remember seeing Dave Kelly do exactly that trick, only solo, using handsticks with a string at each end.  :shock:    I'm working on getting a video of it out of him!

I really want to see Dave Kelly diabolo, so I  hope you you manage to get some on film. Does Dave ever make it to conventions?

I just read Arjan's post on the 180 fan, the only lefty I knew of before that was Fred, who else happens to be a closet lefty out there?

Don't you reckon it just makes learning tricks from vids so much easier, just havin to mirror everything and all, no need to reverse it all  :D

But when lefties watch a clip by Fred, Ajan Vux  or other sinister (look it up) diaboloist then they have the same poblems as us righties.

Anyway my large monitor and tacky 80's mirrored wardrobe allow me to deal with the whole situation anyway ;)

barnesy

• Administrator
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 09:43:45 AM »
Quote from: seán_

That sir is a vicious libel, I shall be informing my lawyer first thing in the morning. I merely do right handed diabolo as if I was left handed ;)

Really?  Oh, well that's me confused then.  Not sure where I got that memory from!

-Fred-

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 12:07:39 PM »
Quote from: seán_
But when lefties watch a clip by Fred, Ajan Vux  or other sinister (look it up) diaboloist then they have the same poblems as us righties.

Yes, i'm agree with that. It's not more difficulte to learn with a left hander but that change our habits. Righties (as Lefties) could be perturb when they learn a trick for the first time with a left hander.

The advantage to be a left hander is that you can do many tricks (however known) in your own way as by a mirror for a right hander...

--- Fred ---

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 06:03:23 PM »
JiBe's video of him and I think Axel? performing in a tent to the Jigolo song has some face to face passing in it, not sure if it was Axel tho, I haven't got the video anymore so I can't confirm but it's on JiBe's site. I don't think either are left handed tho, I guess one just perfected a left handed orbit/throw.

And yes, I did get thrown when first watching Freds video's I thought "wow this is some top stuff! Let's get learning!....whuh?!...o dear" takes way more effort to learn like that, so I think I just gave up and practised other stuff, no commitment  :oops:

Sean

• Administrator
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 06:18:10 PM »
JiBe's video of him and I think Axel?I don't think either are left handed tho, I guess one just perfected a left handed orbit/throw.

Axel did indeed diabolo left handed (and not just for that show - that would be crazy!) I'm pretty sure Axel no longer diabolos though.

I remember seeing some crazy 3 diabolo face to face patterns between Priam and Vux once... maybe some of that will be on Diabology?

I've played around with handing off patterns with left handed diabolists. You can do lots of interesting things easier face to face, like handing sprinklers to each other or placing your string underneath the other person's 2 (or 3) diabolo pattern and stealing it from them.

Sean

Arjan

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 06:24:56 PM »
The bottom line, it doesn`t matter a thing wheter your left or righthanded, as long as you find a buddy who is opposite to you, than passing is a great deal.

Scooby

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 02:18:35 AM »
im a lefty.  but i do most things right handed...

jugglers hate my "lefthandedness" in passing because i have a habit (which i am trying to get out of)  of starting with my left..  

i found it hard to learn 2D with my left handedness  (sounds like a diesese)  because my first attempt there would be no loop effect.  just  straight across and avoiding the other diabolo..

you say vux is a lefty eh?

thats pretty cool..       the things you learn in forums :D
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 02:37:30 AM »
ah you weird lefty's XD  haha... I have a friend who's also lefty but somehow he compensates for that flaw and does diabolo somewhat compentatly  :P   Mainly it's the "passing excalibur" that bugs me that we can't do (a.k.a. throwing a spinning diabolo at the other person while they have the back to you :D)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 10:52:32 AM »
Quote from: Scooby
jugglers hate my "lefthandedness" in passing because i have a habit (which i am trying to get out of)  of starting with my left..  

Start with 2 clubs in your left, but start with a self throw, then the other person starts a beat later and voila.

Maybe.

Chiok

• Donator
Lefty's!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 11:55:54 PM »
A quick three count then into regular 4 count would work too.  Though Nor's idea is simpler if you can get the timing right.

Chiok
(Southpaws... deary me...)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Scooby

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 07:00:31 AM »
Cheers.   i must try that.            me and my partner mostly start with self pass anyway..

i dont really find my lefthandedness a problem.     meybe it is..  meybe it isnt..     my brain probably things im right handed because i do most things right handed, so meh..
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!

BlueNovember

Lefty's!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 03:27:01 PM »
Quote from: Scooby
Cheers.   i must try that.            me and my partner mostly start with self pass anyway..

i dont really find my lefthandedness a problem...

You sir, are lucky.  :evil:
Doors
Keyrings
Writing in notebooks, 3 ring binders, paper pads (with the sticky edges)
Right-handed "chair and desk" combos
People in the medical profession taking blood samples from your LEFT hand meaning you can't write for days.

(Yeah, I'm left-handed)

As for diabolo, it does not pose much of a problem. I still can't work out how to get a genocide to finish in a *left-handed* infinite sui though; if I release left, it ends up right. If I release right, it still ends up right. Buh?
--

3 person passing is actually enhanced if one (or two) people are left handed. You can stand in the centre of a crowd and still face all the audience. Looks much nicer imho.

With club passing I just start in my right hand. It's really not that difficult :\ If you're passing 6 you should be at the stage where you can do many types of start from either hand.

8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal