Author Topic: Catching the stick (was: need some advise!)  (Read 8856 times)

jake jones

Catching the stick (was: need some advise!)
« on: April 30, 2006, 11:35:29 AM »
hello ppl. i am having a problem with doin some suicides (not all of them).i seem to be throwing the sticks to hard or something because when i catch the stick. the sticks hit really hard into my hand and hurts my hand. i have loadz of bru's on my hand. lol. any got any advise to provent this from happening. :( jake jonesssss. is it the diabolo that is wrong... maybe its to heavy??

john_s

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 12:19:06 PM »
actually, it's probably more to do with the weight of your sticks. light carbons and similar sticks tend to speed around quickly, whilst big clunky wooden sticks or alus tend to swing a little bit slower. try a nice and easy suicide from a trapeze with wooden or other heavy sticks and notice how slow it is. also make sure you have a nice clean release and catch position so where you let go of the stick is pretty much where you'll catch it. that should reduce the risk of you taking some of your fingers off.

but yes, it does hurt. you wait until you start trying sprinkler suicides...

/john

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 01:04:56 PM »
its just technique, for most suicides you have to move the stick you still hold so that flying stick flies slower

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »
My first advice is to spell advice like I just did. Secondly when first learning suicide tricks let go of the stick as late as possible. That helps you get a feel for a trick and it becomes second nature.
Behind your back is your front.

Crazy_Clown

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
Quote from: guppygould
My first advice is to spell advice like I just did.

Does it matter how advice is spelled? you knew what he meant, i knew what he meant and everyone else did, is a comment like that any useful? remember not everyone here speaks native english...

I have the same problem with suicides, but it's something that gets better with practice, or maybe i'm used to it now... you could try catching the stick at different times of the suicide (or different heights) so you can get it when it's slowing down and not accelerating.
|)><(|

David_

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 02:33:01 PM »
man my hand start to hurt already when i only think of a triple sprinkler suicide out :( ,
my advice is to try to catch the stick at the end, cause when you try the tip of the stick sometimes you catch the string and then the tip of the stick slides very hard against your fingers

ok, i don't think anyone now nows what i mean :P
the more potatoes, the more fun!

jake jones

kk thanx crazy clown.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 03:00:27 PM »
iv have tryed it at different heights and it seems to be doing the trick.

wooftang

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 05:53:11 PM »
my advice is to catch it by the string as it is at least 5 times more easy !
it may not look as good but at leat it does the trik 8)

frank0072

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »
you can make it look cool if you do the 'charlie chaplin' or whatever that trick is called. I do it all the time lately, just because I am to lazy to focus on catching the stick instead of the string :)
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

fredo

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 08:44:16 PM »
Please make it more precise frank... :wink: Can't really imagine what you mean... :D

fadge

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
if you are lazy when it comes to catching properly your style must be quite sloppy and inaccurate.

I'd advise to practice catching the stick clean as this is what your aiming to achieve if you practice other methods it may become harder to unlearn them.

Uusing chinese suicides is a good start for the suicide catch and them move on to regular suicide.

Also dont throw the stick let gracity work its magic and let it get taken from your grip.

hope this helps

fadge.

Graham

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 09:57:20 PM »
Quote from: fredo
Please make it more precise frank... :wink: Can't really imagine what you mean... :D
I think it's where you catch the string and swing the stick round and then either slide your hand down the string or swing it back under the diabolo into a looper.

Scooby

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 02:48:25 PM »
i have a problem when i do mini-genocides when i throw it and i get the trick the stick sometimes hits me in the back of the hand (right hand)  and it hurts like hell..      

any suggestions?

thanks
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!

QUOTH

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 03:04:13 PM »
Quote from: Scooby
i have a problem when i do mini-genocides when i throw it and i get the trick the stick sometimes hits me in the back of the hand (right hand)  and it hurts like hell..      

any suggestions?

some advice? dont do mini-genocides? :p :)

i wish this was the problem i was having with mini G's, i cant even get the release right.

i remember having loads of trouble when it came to catching full genocides, just had to learn to lengthen the string to the stick before catching so it would slow down. [so tempted to start waffling physics to explain why it works :D]
If you see me please feel free to come over and give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

I use red and black circus's, wear to much black and will be at the BJC.

Scooby

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »
some advice? dont do mini-genocides?

that goes against everything French Diaboloists go by

" YOU MUST MAKE IT SEXY!!!"

mini-genocides ARE sexy!   :D

i think if your doing a combo you must always be able to throw in a minigenocide!  

or always minigen out!  :lol:  

i still have a little trouble catching sticks,  but a few hours intensive should clear that up. :D

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 03:32:14 PM »
@Scooby: That used to happen to me too, but I quess the pain got me aware of what I should be doing  :P Just try to catch the diabolo close to the stick on the string and it should not hit you.

Scooby

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:31 PM »
So im leaving to much string to catch the diabolo?

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 04:42:29 PM »
Let's put it this way: The lenght of the string from the point that you are pinchin it to the point where it hits the diab should be longer than the length of the part of the string (+ the stick) that goes around the diab. That way the stick should go nicely under your hand.
Also try releasing the string from your hand sooner so the stick can't hit you.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 08:07:18 PM »
i have a problem when i do mini-genocides when i throw it and i get the trick the stick sometimes hits me in the back of the hand (right hand)  and it hurts like hell.
When you release the stick and it swings round, when it connects with the axle again, pull your hand towards yourself just a bit (not so much that it causes string rubbing, but enough to get your hand out of the way).  That way you'll also end up in a definite LHBW so you can exit without thinking.

But I can see how you hurt yourself.  Just move your hand out of the way.

As for the initial question of suicides, if you're not able to catch the stick because it moves too fast (and it will on occasion), catch the string and then quickly let it slide down so the stick comes back to your hand.  It won't appear too bad if you make it smooth.  Of course, catching the stick in the first place is normally the best way.

Chiok
(man, go away for a little while and look at all this stuff I come back to.)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

QUOTH

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
that goes against everything French Diaboloists go by

" YOU MUST MAKE IT SEXY!!!"

mini-genocides ARE sexy!   :D

i am sooo tempted to steal that and use it as a quote  :D

hmmm, guess my mini-G's arnt going to learn themselves. id better get some practice in
If you see me please feel free to come over and give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

I use red and black circus's, wear to much black and will be at the BJC.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal