Author Topic: Genocide, Suicide, Homicide  (Read 25282 times)

diabolo store

Re: Genocide, Suicide, Homicide
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2007, 02:56:10 AM »
diaboloing is already so unpopular. u start giving offending names and people'll think diaboling is some dark art or criminal/ terrorist sport
i think we sould have a diabolo.ca poll to rename all the offending tricks!!! no joke
http://www.diabolo.ca/not-linked-to
Supplier of chinese yoyos and diabolos-single bell and double bell

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2007, 05:51:04 AM »
I don't. You cant just simply rename a trick. People will still go by that name no matter what.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Niclas

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »
i think we sould have a diabolo.ca poll to rename all the offending tricks!!! no joke
Bad idea.
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2007, 09:45:38 AM »
i like the names because of the reaction new people get when they hear them. Will's right, even if we change the name here, there are still hundreds/thousands of diaboloists (not on diabolo.ca) who will use the original name. too confusing

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2007, 11:18:07 AM »
diaboloing is already so unpopular. u start giving offending names and people'll think diaboling is some dark art or criminal/ terrorist sport
how ridiculous is that  :P

mod edit - added "ridiculous"

Arjan

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2007, 10:14:43 PM »
Okay I'm questioning the use of this discussion. People just don't agree. And I think it's very important people have different opinions.

A lot of people gave their opinion in this topic, pro or con.

The names of tricks are clear for us, we know by the names what we are actually talking about, and I'm sure most people here understand if I use the word suicide in a diabolo context that I'm actually not talking about the real deal.

And for people who don't know squat about diabolo, why would they be interested in knowing the names of tricks we are pulling of in front of them? They are pretty amazed when you pull a genocide, but no one ever asked me about the names of tricks which I'm performing in front of them. Why should they?

And let's look at other pop hobby's or extreme sports like skateboarding, extreme motor cross or anything that's in that region, I think the tricks in those activities also have pretty offending names. Tell me if I'm wrong about that please.

Giving something a kewl name is part of the specifications of a subculture. A subculture needs it's own language and slang, there is nothing wrong with that. Only the subcultures should understand that this language is only of value within it's members.

People don't understand why we play diabolo in the first place, so why would they even give a **** about sh*t like this?

I actually question if we ourselves really know why we are playing diabolo? But that's a different tough more interesting discussion.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »
I'm glad someone took the time to post that: Thanks Arjan!

I'm sure most people here understand if I use the word suicide in a diabolo context that I'm actually not talking about the real deal.
I love the the way you phrased that, hehe. Also where you put 'squad' I think you meant to put 'squat' either way it was a good post. :D

As for the 'why we are playing diabolo?' I guess it's because it first looked interesting and then we realised it was bloody good fun!
Behind your back is your front.

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2007, 10:52:52 PM »
bloody good fun... yes indeed!
seems like the names fit well, haha!

i 90% agree with you Arjan but i cant think of a offending trickname in skateboarding...

i also can imagine that conservative parents may be shocked if their kid tells them, it wants to learn how to do a genocide, lol! kids of younger age probably dont know about the real meaning of this... and the words are too hard to be misunderstood, so why give a f*** ;)

i think in times like this, only hypersensitive people can be offended of that :)
if someone with a brown jacket and a small moustache pulls of a genocide, then...

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

seán_

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Olobaid, re skateboarding from Earlier in this topic

I'm not saying it is inheritently good because it has been around for ten years. I'm saying that the etymology of the cide named tricks is a sound one full of puns and references.
Taken in isolation or if an issue is made of it you could garner a more emotional response than I have came across.

Does it hurt our sport/art/thing? Not necessarily.
Could it hurt our sport/art/thing? It could if the issue is forced.

On the Skateboarding/bmx front, I've been out of the scene for a while but I do recall these examples

Skateboarding-
Sex change: A kickflip with a body varial.
Bastard Plant: A backside boneless to fakie. -we just didnt mention these to our parents
Christ Air: Bs air, nose grab both feet of and extended in the shape of a crucifix, some trouble with the religious types at one point, neatly finessed by the alternative explanation that its Inventor was Christ-ian Hosoi
Gay Twist: fakie 360 with a mute grab, gay because it wasnt the full 540 twist, not my favourite name but I lived with it ( I seem to recall at least thelast two and maybe the first being used by comentators on the Xgames (espn/expn)

Sean Penn: the backside (much more difficult) version of a Maddonna (frontside air, nose grap, foot off, slapping the tail on re-entry) the name derives from Penns spousal abuse of Madonna (beats a maddona) again I was not comfortable with this name for especially as unlike the genocide, this name was chosen with malice.

Skateboarders
Natas Kaupas
I recall a drive to boycott Trasher magazine in the late eighties/early nineties(?) because it continued to champion a skateboarder who blatently used an anagram of satan as his nickname (religious types again). They backed down upon learning that Natas had been named by his eastern european parents who had been expecing a girl that they had planned to name Natasha, used to the name by the birth they shortened it to Natas.

BMX
a series of faltalnd tricks from the US with 'spastic' in the name. No fuss in the magazines (us based) I had this explained to me that it was a more acceptable word in the US (I dont know the truth of this). I know that in the UK it is not considered a word to be used in polite society. No backlash
A disaster (intentional bike hangup on vert) variation where the front peg was on the coping. It was called the Lockerbie after the Pan Am Lockerbie bombing. Again a name chosen with malice and one that did not stick for long.

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2007, 12:09:49 AM »
ha, shame on me! i knew only the standard names :) but it seems to me like surnames within the scene... there is no alternative for genocide! well, i call them genos or minigens bot not to be less offending, just lazyness 8)

fun to read that listing of unpleasant names and theis stories behind :)

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2007, 03:50:14 AM »
Whenever I just mess around, in front of strangers or whatever, I try to explain what I'm going to do so that they can understand it better, and thus, appreciate it more, because I'm not performing, I'm just doing it. So I tell them well I'm going to do a suicide, then I explain which kind and what classifies it etc. and nobody so far has even given the slightest offense when I use any tricks with "questionable" names. I figure they don't care as long as it's used as a noun and not a verb, they just don't realize it.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

onewheeldave

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »
Whenever I just mess around, in front of strangers or whatever, I try to explain what I'm going to do so that they can understand it better, and thus, appreciate it more, because I'm not performing, I'm just doing it. So I tell them well I'm going to do a suicide, then I explain which kind and what classifies it etc. and nobody so far has even given the slightest offense when I use any tricks with "questionable" names. I figure they don't care as long as it's used as a noun and not a verb, they just don't realize it.

I don't think that 'causing offence' to watching adults was ever an issue?

It was more about how appropriate terms like 'suicide' or 'genocide' are in the context of a workshop for, say, primary school kids.

Even there, it wasn't that they may be offended, as much as it being that it could cause upset/confusion to a child who'd known either suidice or genocide in their lives.

To those who are saying the trick names shouldn't be changed- again, that's not what's been suggested- it's more about having alternative names for those situations (eg childrens workshops) where the tutor may feel that suicide/genocides are not appropriate.

Luckily 'stick release' and 'Off string stick release' are perfectly good alternatives- any negative aspects (confusion from dual terms) are easily offset by the positive ones of being more descriptive than suicide/genocide as well as the fact that they won't cause upset to any children who've been exposed to suicide or genocide.

martijn

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2007, 01:19:53 PM »
Can we let this topic rest please? I think the point has been made - several times.

Re: Genocide
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »
Well, im pretty good at most tricks, after about 6 years, i still cant do suicides too well, The only one i can do is the basic Chinese Suicide. Still, i don't see a problem with the name. I mean, if you have a stick whipping around in your face, what should we call it? Bruises? Bruiside? I don't see thats its very harmful just to have an inanimate object named something.

Relativity

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »
i think we should go the whole hog and offend everyone, because if we in the community are happy with the names, then why change to suit everyone else? It realms into the area of wearing religious insignia in the work place and the whole debate about that we had in Britain. But yeah why not get real, we like the names, they should stay, we should even rename mini genocides 'Infanticides', because they're smaller...
Fire Walk With Me...

karl e dangerous

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »
maybe death adds aura and sparks intrest i however have never linked death and diabolo strangly enough it never accured to me but hey its just a name and the next trick i manage to "invent" or belive to have invented will be called bill or wife beater? :-X
sorry for my bad grammer

cobby93

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
ok then say we did have to change the name of suicides/genicides.

It could be good fun thinking up new names for it any sugestions people?

Hodges

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2007, 09:37:38 PM »
i have to say im pretty irritated by the whole thing with political correctness in our world. i dont get upset by people swearing or saying nigger etc, im not a racist, but for christs sakes, theyre just words, its like saying flibbledeblop is rude! thats also the same reason i dont swear, because to me it doesnt mean anything. therefore if people are being upset by words, dont be, because nothing is meant by it. however things like suicide do affect people, my would-be future brother-in-law's brother commited suicide, but im not torn up about using the word as a name. but some people are, so if people want to change the name, it'll be confusing as hell, but if you want you shall its all about free-speech eh?
Where's the bloody Summer?!?!?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal