Author Topic: Strangest place you've lost a diabolo...  (Read 27267 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Strangest place you've lost a diabolo...
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:39:50 PM »
What is the strangest place that you've lost a diabolo?

Right now, my precious orange circus diabolo (the ones that sadly aren't made anymore) is stuck in a net about 15 feet off the ground in a gym. :oops:

I had this beautiful clean run of 3 diabolos going yesterday but I had inched my way over to my left until I was standing next to this netting above a volleyball court. Now, I couldn't just drop the pattern because nice runs of 3 diabolos high are hard to come by, right? Well that's when one diabolo caught itself in a perfect grind in a square of netting and proceeded to tie itself in a knot in the string. I'll get it back someday... apparently. :roll:  

Speaking for a friend of mine, Kris (who was featured in the Man's Chew video): he lost his green finesse diabolo in the rapids while trying a crotch whip standing on a rock. :oops:  It's all on tape in the opening scenes of that video so that he can relive the agony whenever he feels like it. Too bad those things don't float.

Sean

Arjan

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 07:35:03 PM »
Well, I didn`t lost this diabolo but it`s a good story though.
Friends of me were going fishing, and asked me if I would like to hang out with them there. So I went, we were going fishing on a place where was a little road in between 2 channels. 1 was 5 meter long, and the other was about 1 meter small. So I was playing there in between the channels, knowing I could lose my diabolo. So yeah, I dropped into the 1 meter wide channel. What did I do?? Put up my pants, kick my shoes of, and socks, and went to rescue this diabolo at the bottem of the very dirty little channel. It was all stuck in mud, but I found it, and gave it  little coastguard threath.

I`m so happy he is still with me today  :lol:

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 10:25:01 AM »
Somehow, I've made it this far without losing a diabolo.  I did once get one stuck on top of the nets in a sports centre, but the staff there were good enough to keep hold of it for me once they'd got it down about a week later.  Lets hope you get the same sort of service!

martijn

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:11:51 PM »
never lost a diabolo.... :)

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 10:39:15 PM »
Stuck in a tree when i was practicing two high, i wasn't very good then....actually my two high still isn't any good now! Its ok though i'm a good climber.

MattF

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 09:41:16 PM »
I'm glad to say that i haven't lost one permentantly yet. I got one stuck in a bush in next door's back garden.....took me 10 minutes to get the thing out. damn you nettles!! :)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 11:03:15 AM »
The back of a funeral palour, but its the comedy of its thats even more funny...

I was doing 2 high, launched them up for a double pirouette and one landed on a telephone wire, rode that for a bit and then fell off in their carpark, that was quite cool. and the gates were locked to i had to climb over wall to get it back (oooh naughty)

staticjuggler

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 09:29:31 PM »
I haven't lost any diabolos permanently (yet).

Once, though, I got my diabolo stuck grinding on a tree branch, way up high, when i was first learning and playing with my high tosses. I ended up throwing clubs up the tree to get it down.

Another time, I almost had my diabolo run over by a car, it rolled down the driveway during rush hour....

I also was trying triple duicides one day, and my handsticks ended up getting stuck in a tree, so I decided to throw clubs up (worked last time didn't it?) :D , and I ended up getting one of my clubs stuck up there! So I tried to brush it out with a rake, but I couldn't reach it, so I decided to chuck the rake up hoping it would knock the club or handsticks out of place, but instead the rake got itself hooked onto the branches. I ended up getting a ladder, and handpicking everything out of the tree, all while my diaboloist friend was watching and cracking up, he was literally going insane he was laughing so hard...

Static
www.staticjuggler.com

How mad would a wood chuck get if a big neon pink Koala bear named Ishtar ran into the woods and chucked all the wood before the woodchuck could chuck the wood?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 09:48:45 PM »
Quote from: staticjuggler
Another time, I almost had my diabolo run over by a car, it rolled down the driveway during rush hour....

Funny that just reminded me of a horror story of mine. I was in Karlsruhe, Germany this summer and visited the Henrys diabolo factory/outlet shop. I had just bought 3 white Henrys circuses (same time I got that picture in my profile taken - but I think I've said that before ;) ahh... good memories). Beautiful, clean, white henrys.

So, I was playing around with 2 of them by the train station and my friend asks me where the third is. We look around for a while and can't find it. Then we spot it. It's about 100 meters away and rolling towards the tram lines... and there's a tram coming! Yeap, it got run over by the tram wheel head on and popped out and up in the air. I ran desperately over to my poor new diabolo. Thankfully, it was only covered in grease and dirt from the wheel. Still spins perfectly to this day!  :D

MattF

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 06:17:45 PM »
Quote from: Sean
It's about 100 meters away and rolling towards the tram lines

lol i bet you bricked it at the time :D

Arjan

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 08:14:49 PM »
haahaha you didn`t take it to the emergency room?  :P

murifri

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 05:35:11 PM »
I was practicing some two high (is it just me or is this the easiest way to lose a diabolo) and they managed to collide in mid-air firing one of them into the neighbors back garden.

Luckily they had taken the dog out for a walk otherwise my diabolo could have been mauled by an unappriciative canine.  :shock:

Arjan

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 06:15:15 PM »
Yeah that`s the way to lose a diabolo!!

el_grimley

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 07:32:11 PM »
off this crag and into those trees. When it was about a foot of snow

:shock:

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 07:56:45 PM »
other than being cool, what were you honestly doing diaboling up there AND in the snow?

el_grimley

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 12:34:52 AM »
I was out climbing for the day. When its cold its easier to climb especially on that type of rock. You often see diabolos out with climbers and sometimes the kyakers.

I've juggled Coshes (Wooden sticks used for hitting people) at a ju-Jitsu event once too. That was quite cool. But messing up a club pickup with a metal baseball bat wasn't......

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

kragen

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 01:20:58 AM »
lol - what a place to loose a diabolo! :D
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

busk

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 05:22:49 PM »
i met a 15y old  finnish guy this summer in canada(toronto) he was awesoome! and in the months passed in toronto i lost my super ultra perso sticks...and the finnish guy lost one of his arlequins....

the finnish guy is behind me in the foto of my post in this topic...look the style! finnish guy

jordak

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 07:32:43 PM »
2 days ago my chinese yoyo got stuck in the 2nd lowest branch on a high oak tree...It wasn't moving at all...it's axle was caught right between two small branches...my Dad judged it to be about 35-40 feet high.

How I got it back...I tied a small filled squirt bottle on the end of a roll of twine to serve as a weight...I stood on a folding chair and threw the squirt bottle so that it got stuck in the branch...I used all 122 lbs. to shake violently...after a while it came out of the tree.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

darren2dream

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 07:50:17 PM »
Ahhhh,

I lost a small MB down a sewer grate along the Great Ocean Road in Australia…
I was killing some time, waiting for my travel friends, having fun playing in a parking lot when it just jupmed off & rolled down into the only little hole it could possibly have fit in to never be seen by me again.  The Diabolo ended up in the Great Ocean I guess, and I continued down the Road with a lighter pack then before :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal