Author Topic: Black string  (Read 9541 times)

WillieWonka

Black string
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »
Does anyone know if there are som black diabolo string that you can buy ?
I realy need it...
Sorry for my bad english !
Stupid is stupideus, Forrest Gump.

apache

Black string
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:55:09 AM »
I think that they don't exist :(
But why do you need it so hard?

Nick

• Donator
Black string
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:15:03 PM »
I've never seen any black string for sale. Perhaps an alternative idea would be to make your own. Just take some white string and dye it the colour you want. I think diabolo string is made from nylon, so I'm not too sure if normal fabric dye would work. There is a FAQ about dying nylon here:
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/nylon.shtml

Please note I have never tried this, so I don't know how well it would turn out. I suggest trying it on a single length of string before throwing your 100m roll of Henry's into a pot. Also, protective clothing, adult supervision, blah, blah, blah.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out if you try it.
Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

James B

Black string
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
i've considered this many times... consider a night time show with henry's Carbons, a black string and LED kits in your finesses... would look like magic :D I may try it
My Diabolos are apple flavoured.

fredo

Black string
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:49:28 PM »
just try to spray on it - a simple tin of black spray could do te job...

Chiok

• Donator
Black string
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »
Quote from: fredo
just try to spray on it - a simple tin of black spray could do te job...
That's gonna cause all sorts of trouble with wrapping up and dirtying up your axle and such.  Nick's idea of dying it is quite good I think if you want it different colours, but it may affect the play like different coloured string already does.  I think diabolo string is nylon, not too sure on Henrys string though.

Black handsticks, black string, in a dark room, and only a lit diabolo?  Are you trying to make your life hard?  You wouldn't see a thing till it hit the floor.

Would look cool in general though.  Next people will be tie-dying string.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

schlanger

Black string
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »
Ive seen black string. i dont know where you get it. i cant be that important to have it though. make do with what you've got
schlanger is upon us

donald grant

• Donator
Black string
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 11:04:30 PM »
Dying string should work, but we found a quicker and easier version when we were shooting the new DVD last summer.

The studio background was totally white, so there was a fear that even fluo yellow string wouldn't show up too well on film.

The problem was solved by the simple formula of white string + permanent marker pen + Alan Blim.  Half an hour of frantic colouring in by Alan and we had enough suitably dark string for everyone.  The string feels a little stiff at first but you soon get used to it and it also gets softer with a bit of use.

Donald

PS Just got the first copies of the DVD last week, and yes -phew- the string is visible!

seán_

Black string
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 12:05:35 AM »
I believe passe passe used to supply black string with their own brand ally sticks.

I feel dirty for some reason :?

FeL

Black string
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 06:19:42 PM »
A friend bought new sticks at Passepasse's and there was a black string on it.

I understand english but I don't speak it very well .

Susannah

• VotW Contributor
Black string
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 07:10:38 PM »
Quote from: James B
i've considered this many times... consider a night time show with henry's Carbons, a black string and LED kits in your finesses... would look like magic :D I may try it

Thats weird i was thinking the complete opposite. I am having trouble seeing my string when im using my LED kit at night. I think im gonna try breaking open a glow stick and soaking my string in it.

nicoli

Black string
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 02:13:59 PM »
Quote from: RattaY
I think im gonna try breaking open a glow stick and soaking my string in it.

Thats only gunna last a few hours if it works at all and i would assume that stuff is fairly toxic

frank0072

Black string
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 02:28:06 PM »
Quote from: nicoli
Quote from: RattaY
I think im gonna try breaking open a glow stick and soaking my string in it.

Thats only gunna last a few hours if it works at all and i would assume that stuff is fairly toxic

supposing he doensn't eat his own string that will turn out allright I think..
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Susannah

• VotW Contributor
Black string
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 03:19:36 PM »
Ive seen someone get covered in the stuff before and not get harmed in any way, so i think frank is right, ill try not to nibble on my string and there shouldnt be a problem. Ill tell you how it goes.

Susannah

Chiok

• Donator
Black string
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
Whenever I've cracked open glowsticks, the stuff inside tends to stop glowing.  I don't think the chemicals can react as well in the atmosphere as in the tube.  Who knows, stranger things have happened at sea.

And most are non-toxic, still doesn't mean suitable for ingestion though.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Matt_

• Donator
Black string
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »
yeah, i'm fairly certain that once the glow material touches oxygen or something, it loses its glow properties.

Black string
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Thats only gunna last a few hours if it works at all and i would assume that stuff is fairly toxic[/quote]

nope, its fine, you can let it make your hands glow if you like too,
i know sombody who got white shirt and white trousers and poured glow stuff on them for a festival, it looks great, its not toxic but might not do you any good if you drink it  :?
I love work, i could watch people do it all day

diplodicai

Black string
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 04:04:15 AM »
The stuff in glowsticks is called cyalume. It's light caused by two chemicals reacting which is why you have to crack the glass vial in the stick to get it to glow. The reason it's not very bright when you rip it open is mainly due to the fact the chemical decays and when you pour it on things there isn't the density. Better option is to take a handheld UV light and prop it on the floor. Most string is UV reactive and the lights are about £6 from security shops or Homeofpoi.com
Dude, not on the rug.

Andy

Black string
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 10:42:05 AM »
back to the black string thing, there was a guy at Play festival this year selling black string. He was selling loads of stuff from his vw van with the words 'just poi' on the side. aprantly he uses the same string to make poi with...

Morphine

Black string
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 12:24:15 PM »
Soaking some string in indian ink would surley do the trick  :twisted:
UK Circus Skills Forum :  - http://alljuggledup.co.uk/forum2/
YouJuggle.com Juggling Videos - http://www.youjuggle.com

jammy

Black string
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 10:46:08 AM »
im using black string atm! wel it is the briders of a old powerkite! i no its not diabolo string but its stronger feels abit poppy at first till you get use to it! but i think most of the people how have used it liked it! spink,sean and ginger tom!
Ìf¤¡ñºÐøû߆°G°¡†¤Õù†°

LaNgErZ

• Donator
Black string
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 07:48:30 PM »
yeah i've got some of that black kite stuff. it's alright for 2 but it's an absolute pile for string tricks, slack tricks and dont even consider loop coz it'll cheesewire your hands right off! chedder style

jammy

Black string
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 09:18:21 AM »
Quote from: LaNgErZ
yeah i've got some of that black kite stuff. it's alright for 2 but it's an absolute pile for string tricks, slack tricks and dont even consider loop coz it'll cheesewire your hands right off! chedder style

when was last time you snapped it lol
Ìf¤¡ñºÐøû߆°G°¡†¤Õù†°

nev

• Donator
Black string
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »
I have some yellow kite string (I know - off topic - sorry).

Its thinner and more slippy than Henry's yellow.  I dont use it all the time as its a sod to hover etc, but once up to speed its a great string for long fans and combo's etc.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

jammy

Black string
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 09:25:12 AM »
you can get the kite string in any color you like tho with is a good thing!
Ìf¤¡ñºÐøû߆°G°¡†¤Õù†°

Henry's = <3

Black string
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 11:00:56 PM »
im not sure if they sell it outside of the USA, but the Greenheadgear black decoy string for hunting is my favorite diab string of all time.

jammy

Black string
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »
Quote from: Henry's = <3
im not sure if they sell it outside of the USA, but the Greenheadgear black decoy string for hunting is my favorite diab string of all time.

i have been told that piano string works very well to!
Ìf¤¡ñºÐøû߆°G°¡†¤Õù†°

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal