Author Topic: video posting: direct download AND streaming?  (Read 15176 times)

Matt_

• Donator
video posting: direct download AND streaming?
« on: June 21, 2006, 06:40:26 PM »
i was going to post this on rec.juggling, but i think the people there hate me for presenting dissenting opinions on the occasion, plus they're a pretty grumpy bunch overall. here is much better ;)

anywho, i was thinking of a suggestion for people who decide to post videos, which is to post two versions--a streaming version (google, youtube) and a direct download version.

yes, i know you can download google videos and youtube videos, but they look like ass. the reason i want to download a video over streaming it is for the quality! i love to see videos from Sean, Tijn, The Void, etc, which are high quality and a pleasure to watch. the videos would be knocked down a notch by the lack of quality.

but sometimes i'm at my parents' house where i don't want to keep a video forever, just watch it. or sometimes i want to see if a video is worth it before i download; some people produce rad videos time and time again, but sometimes you feel like you just want to check out a video without waiting.

google video and youtube are free! so it's not really a hassle. as long as you're uploading a direct download, put it on youtube or google! i uploaded Chris' new video (go draco) which will hopefully be up shortly.

by the way, a lot of people can't use google video because they don't have an account. well, i (as well as many others, i'm certain) have a crapload of invites (i have 100). if you need a gmail invite to upload videos or just for email, give me a PM with your current email address and i'll hook you up.

PS [note to Sean]: i tried making a poll, i put in three options, and it told me i had too many options. kind of weird...

PPS: 666 posts :twisted:

mod edit: If you're on http://youtube.com, please join and add your videos to the diabolo group Marc created. (Youtube diabolo group topic)

The Void

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:17:53 PM »
I HATE all those streaming sites.

a) As you say, I don't want to watch bad quality videos.
b) I don't want people to watch my videos in bad quality.

I do know what you mean about 'seeing if it's worth DLing' though, but these days, bandwidth is cheap, and pipes are getting fatter by the second, so I'm going to keep on hating.

And thanks for the compliment. :-D

The Void
keepvid forever!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:58:06 PM »
It could just be me being strange and wonderful, but I don't recall ever seeing a vid from you Void, am I going crazy or is this the case?

Soz for the offtopic...erm, I don't mind any of the streaming vids actually, I can't be bothered to fill up my comp with vids anymore, I tend to just delete em after watching them anyway if I have to download.

Martijn

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 11:52:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but I also dislike these streaming websites. Nice solution for those who don't own a server or so, but I'd prefer to have the opportunity to save the videos to my hard disk.

seán_

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 12:26:16 AM »
I like the idea of streaming and hosting,

I know the quality sucks but it makes a nice backup and also allows a mainstream audience to view what we do.
For the technically inept amongst us (and the cheap) setting up a blog using blogger (or simmilar) and embedding the youtube (etc) code for whichever vids we upload (ours or finds) is a quick and simple way of having a web pressence.

I also think its one way of keeping videos online, pity to loose some.

I've only uploaded one video on youtube so far 'drop it like its hot' and while its a so so video, I have enjoyed seeing it up there, checking out the hits (2500+) and getting comments on it. I think I'll be double uploading in the future.

Dana B

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:43:05 AM »
I wonder if Greg Cohen would be willing to add to his YoYoing Video Portal a diabalo section.  

http://www.yoyoing.com/video is his pet project that has really taken off in only a few weeks and solves the streaming/downloading problem for a lot of people quite nicely.

Granted, I dunno if he could handle the type of added bandwith you diaboloers could give him, nor if it would be an easy transfer....but when I saw this topic that's what I immediately thought of.

-Dana

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 07:31:09 AM »
damn sean_, 2500 hits? my hall/yabe video is barely over 1000, and all my other SC jugglers videos are still under 1000, and they are older than your video. sadface :(

anyway, i wasnt trying to say "hey everyone lets stream everything!" noooo nononono. don't get me wrong, i love downloading videos. i save all the good ones. i have all my juggling videos seperated into folders based on their content, and i have a good sized collection going. i rewatch them frequently.

however, right now i'm not near my video collection. im on a computer at my parents' house. it'd be nice to see those videos without downloading them over again, just streaming. i watch the ones i can on youtube/google video. furthermore, for people who are lazy (ugh...) or technologically illiterate ("h264, say whaaaaat?"), streaming is perfect! of course, then the argument is, should we cater to the world's idiots? now NORMALLY, i'd say NO. natural selection ftw! however, i want my videos to be seen by the largest audience possible (whether or not they know how to use MPC or VLC or decode x264 or even know what any of that means). furthermore, people who dont go to rec.juggling or diabolo.ca have seen my videos on youtube and googlevideo just by searching and finding, which pleases me.

my best argument is this: DUAL releases (not streaming only! ughhh that prospect disgusts me) are beneficial because your videos will reach the widest range of people and cater to most people's needs. and, as mentioned, internets are getting faster and faster. so whats the big deal with uploading your video twice? ;)

Martijn

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 09:08:22 AM »
Quote from: Matt_
damn sean_, 2500 hits? my hall/yabe video is barely over 1000, and all my other SC jugglers videos are still under 1000, and they are older than your video. sadface :(

Ha, while we're on it, the Circusplanet 2005 video has had 6200 hits by now :)

Is there any chance of deleting your videos from Youtube, because I don't like my videos to be online forever...

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:27:46 AM »
....you guys are donkeyholes. how do you get so many hits? i guess no one wants to see the SC jugglers... :(

anyway, that's a really strange comment Tijn, but who am i to judge...well, just go to youtube, and do you see where it says "my videos". well, go there, and you can see all your videos. beneath the thumbnail it says "remove video".

The Void

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »
Quote from: JGherkin
It could just be me being strange and wonderful, but I don't recall ever seeing a vid from you Void, am I going crazy or is this the case?

Well, I've never released a solo video, because I haven't got around to making one. But you can find several that I've either made or been featured in here. There are others that I've made or mirrored or hosted for other people. You're even *in* this one!

I see what you mean about reaching a wider audience, Matt_, and if I start making videos that aren't solely made for jugglers, then I might think about googlevideo.

The Void
Hawksmoor!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 10:51:20 AM »
I'm all up for the dual uploading.  When I see a new video comes online when I'm at work, and I read all the positive and endearing replies about it, I want to see and comment on it too, but can't watch it, and then I forget to download it when I'm at home.  Streaming is good for this.

However, there are some equally great videos that are exclusively streamed unfortunately that you can't get in a high enough quality worth saving to give it justice (Joe Hague's Fatboy Juggler springs to mind).

I would like to see two urls for future videos if it wasn't too much trouble for uploaders, and like Seán says, its a good way to keep things online.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 06:50:06 PM »
Right, so I changed my mind and just to bump this one, my video's are up at http://youtube.com/martijnhalekor as well. If you want to download them to your hard disk, have a look at my website.

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »
I think GReg does plan on expanding the scope of the yoyoing.com site eventually to have multiple portals, though that hasn't been worked out yet. But it does have "diabolo" as one of the tags, so any uploaded vids could be found through the advanced search. He did institute a limit on filesize for downloadable videos (I think it's 50 or 70megs), under which you can d/l the original.

Shawn

P.S. Nice seeing ya here Dana. Working on diabolo?

seán_

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 01:34:21 AM »
and me, what do I get?

BTW Drop it like its hot just broke 10,000 views. I'd expect the collab to do better than that.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 01:41:19 AM »
ok i joined too, but what about the older videos? it doesn't go back, does it? hmm...

and dammit Sean, you have so many more hits. i don't get how that video gets a million hits, you only have two freakin keywords. and so many comments? my videos aren't even close. maybe i should name my videos after a popular hip hop song...

seán_

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 03:07:47 AM »
Quote from: Matt_
you only have two freakin keywords. and so many comments? my videos aren't even close. maybe i should name my videos after a popular hip hop song...

bet you didnt post it in sports either :P
I think we got a few popular myspace links that hasn't hurt either

Look forward to the next Leeds video 'Teen girl on cam'

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 03:11:14 AM »
i used to put them under random things but i changed all my categories to appropriate ones lately.

i just got rejected from the Director program today, i got the email. it took them over a month just to reject me. i guess it's because i don't have a website.

Look forward to the next Leeds video 'Teen girl on cam'

dammit....i'll have to one up you somehow...

by the way, one of my videos is a spoof on the group TATU which are those two russian girls who pretended to be gay. man, that clip has, by far, the most clips of any of my non juggling vids, i assume because the keywords include gay, lesbian, and death. hmm...

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 09:46:20 AM »
You could try tagging your videos with words like:

sick
awesome
super
amazing
slick
incredible

etc, etc.
Behind your back is your front.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 10:44:22 AM »
yeah i did that with my Bjork video. seriously, not much luck yet. well, it IS Bjork, i didn't really expect much...

Martijn

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 12:18:31 AM »
Quote from: seán_
Drop it like its hot just broke 10,000 views.

Remember what I said in June in this topic? "Ha, while we're on it, the Circusplanet 2005 video has had 6200 hits by now"

Well, I just had a look at the hits again, and I noticed a ridiculously high peak in July: 5340 downloads of the mp4 file! I really don't know how to explain that sudden high amount of downloads, but it has bring the total hits of the Circusplanet 2005 video to 11914. Pretty amazing (since it isn't on Youtube :wink:)

For anyone who's interested (and maybe can explain the reason of the peak to me), here is the full list:

December---3375 (avi-2279/mp4-210/mpg-886)
January-------995 (avi-510/mp4-278/mpg-207)
February------428 (avi-244/mp4-53/mpg-131)
March----------492 (avi-209/mp4-47/mpg-236)
April-----------362 (avi-250/mp4-?/mpg-112)
May------------323 (avi-190/mp4-48/mpg-85)
June------------354 (avi-241/mp4-30/mpg-83)
July-----------5499 (avi-94/mp4-5340/mpg-65)
August----------86 (avi-86/mp4-?/mpg-?)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal