Author Topic: Diabolo Ladder and freestyles at The World Yo-Yo Contest 2008  (Read 2501 times)

stupendous

Please note that these events do NOT name a World Title or Champion.  They are just a fun part of the larger World Yo-Yo Contest.

The World Yo-Yo Contest 2008
Orlando, Florida
July 31 - August2
http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2008worlds/

There will be a Diabolo Ladder again at The World Yo-Yo Contest.  This is the 3rd year we have run a Diabolo Ladder at Worlds, and we tried to make this ladder a little more challenging.   Though most diabolo players will think this is a pretty easy list. 

Here is the Diabolo Ladder (all videos will be posted soon): http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2008worlds/diabolo_sports.html

For the 1st time at Worlds, we will be having a Diabolo Freestyle Exhibition.  The 7 to 10 contestants who place highest on the Ladder will be given a chance to freestyle.  Freestyles will be 2 minutes, and they will be judged on a criteria system.

Here are the Rules for the Diabolo Freestyles: http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2008worlds/diabolo_exhibition.html

Contact me if you have any questions.

-Stu
stubranoff@yahoo.com
AIM: stupendousyoyo
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Diabolo Ladder and freestyles at The World Yo-Yo Contest 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »
Cool. Wish I could go. The trick ladder is pretty simple, although some tricks are a bit out there - Alans trick, kyocide
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

kyo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
The ladder is designed to be fairly simple.. it's there to encourage new players and to give them some sort of goal to try for.

It's mostly easy, but then there are a few tricks that are more challenging.. the goal was to have each trick introduce some new element that can be used to expand the abilities of the player.

The freestyle contest is where the top end players can really have some fun. The reason we are pulling from the ladder to pick who goes on stage, is simply because the contest isn't built up enough yet to stand on it's own, it's still a relatively small base of people competing. Some of them are extremely good, but having a total of 30 or so people compete just isn't enough yet. As we try and attract more and more players, there will be more than enough high-end competitors to fill freestyle spots and leave the ladder to the beginner players.

Kyle

thewu

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
darn... i really wish these things happened on the west coast. :p a trip to florida would be crazy expensive.

but i like what's happening!

stupendous

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
The Diabolo Freestyles at The World Yo-Yo Contest were great.  We used the Daibolo Ladder as a preliminary round, and we took the top 10 placers into the freestyles.  The variety of styles was fun to watch.  Each country seemed to have there own flavor.  The 2 minutes we were given for each freestyle were short, and I hope we can have 3 minutes next year.  I know a lot of people are not into competitions, but this was a fun way to get people to show off their skills.  Also, the freestyles generated a lot of interest in diabolo play.

Here are the results:
(REMEMBER... this is not a "World" title.  It was just an exhibition contest.

Diabolo Freestyle Results
Worlds Yo-Yo Contest 2008

Place.......Player’s Name.............Country........Score

1............ Ryuya Kaneko............Japan..........100.00
2.............Rei Iwakura...............Japan...........72.03
3.............Hadrien Bennaceur......France.........66.80
4.............Kunihisa Kawabe.........Japan..........64.89
5.............Shane Smith..............USA............53.86
6.............Andrew Ruiz...............USA............38.77
7.............McLeod Benson...........USA............37.73
8.............Will Niemeier...............USA............35.46
9.............Matt Kuhlman..............USA...........34.55
10............Bakalnov Mikhail..........Russia.........29.41

Videos can be found here - http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=5208.0 (thanks to Shane Smith for posting the vids).

-stu

If you have any questiosn about how we scored freestyles or if you want to use the system we created in your own event, please contact me. 
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal