Author Topic: SPIN 2006 by the DIABOLO DANCE THEATRE from TAIWAN  (Read 3766 times)

taiwanfest

SPIN 2006 by the DIABOLO DANCE THEATRE from TAIWAN
« on: July 01, 2006, 12:07:06 AM »
Juggling Between
an Old Game and New Art
A Modern Diabolo Performance by Taiwanese Youths with Classical Music

Spin! The Rebirth of Diabolo
Saturday July 15th, 2006
&
Sunday July 16th, 2006
Massey Theatre in New Westminster

(VANCOUVER, BC, JUNE 30th)  Most Canadians know what a yo-yo is, and they may even know a few tricks.  But how can a yo-yo be removed from a string and be lively manipulated as a form of breathtaking artistic entertainment that visually represents the beauty of classical music?

The Diabolo Dance Theatre from Taiwan will present Spin! The Rebirth of Diabolo on July 15th and 16th at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster, BC.  Spin! The Rebirth of Diabolo is an artistic performance that harmonizes classical music with the diabolo, a juggling prop that evolved from a Chinese yo-yo created four thousand years ago.  With professional and enthusiastic young performers as young as six, The Diabolo Dance Theatre combines traditional diabolo with thrilling tricks, contemporary acrobatics and outstanding theatrical effects that visually expresses classical music such as Beethoven and Schubert.

The Diabolo Dance Theatre has achieved international acclaim through its twenty years of performance.  Directed and produced by Le-Chun Liu, it is the first artistic performing group to combine traditional diabolo with contemporary dance and theatrics.  The group is highly praised by the Council for Cultural Affairs, the Ministry of Education, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan for their important role introducing the diabolo-dancing as a cultural art to the world.

Spin!  The Rebirth of Diabolo is at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster.  It is on July 15th at 7:30pm, and also on July 16th at 2:30pm.  Admission ranges from $25 to $55. Tickets can be purchased online at Tickets Tonight (http://ticketstonight.ca) or by phone at Taiwanese Canadian Cultural Society (Tel: 604-267-0901; Address: 8853 Selkirk Street, Vancouver – between West 72nd Ave. and West 73rd Ave.).  For more information on the event, visit www.spin2006.com.  

Alex Ushijima
Media Coordinator
Email: aushijima@taiwanfest.ca

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 12:54:53 AM »
Hmm I might go there... :)

Edit: Err maybe not that's expensive...

wench

Thought I'd bump this up...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 05:40:15 PM »
The shows are this weekend, so I thought I'd bump this up. =) It looks really good, I'm headed there tonight.

- L

jacky

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 06:16:29 PM »
too bad that i cannot be there...pls tell me how's the performance.

slscanada

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 02:51:47 AM »
Been there on Friday... I should listen to my friend who is also an exhibitor of the event -- there is nothing to see in this year! $9/person for admission + $15 parking is quite a rip....
 :cry:     :cry:     :cry:     :cry:

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: SPIN 2006 by the DIABOLO DANCE THEATRE from TAIWAN
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 07:01:48 AM »
Quote from: taiwanfest
Can a yo-yo be removed from a string and be lively manipulated

Yes. And because of that Sean made this forum!  :wink:
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Jakob

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 02:02:01 PM »
How many Inhere did actually see that show?

I was in Toronto that particulat day (saturday) so I saw it.

Jakob
//Jakob

Midoryu

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:43:08 AM »
Séan will kill me for this, but...people need to know!!!  I won't ramble for too long...

It was pretty breathtaking, since live group performances always tend to be like that.  They were performing to a pretty neat theme, which was the "Four Seasons", and the performers all played a role, instead of just being purely performers.  There were a lot of 2d, but no 2d sprinkler suicides or anything too intense like that.  Instead, it was a moderate-paced dance with a lot of smooth diaboloing.  Then, there were performers throwing diabolos down from the "pretty-high" balcony to the single performer on stage.  There were many children and teenagers who performed too.  Imagine MHD performing at 50% their normal instensity, and you've got yourself the 2006 SPIN.  I think I saw it at the Hummingbird Centre, or else it was just as taiwanfest said.  All in all, it was a pretty good watch.  PM me for more info, if anyone's interested, or any (inevitable) complaints from people who aren't satisfied (or have had enough) with this post.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Nahxela

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 01:40:41 PM »
Ah, I remember this troupe!
They came to my town a little less than a year ago, and I remember their mesmerizing performance!
Truly well choreographed and fun to watch. It's a shame if you missed the show, it's certainly something you should try to see.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal