Author Topic: Crossed armed shuffle/sun/fan  (Read 5931 times)

Arjan

Crossed armed shuffle/sun/fan
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:42:33 PM »
Hello dear diabolists,

I`ve been thinking about this stuff for a while now. Mainly about the crossed arm fan, since that would look the most amazing.
I did give it some attempts on the EJC with encouragment from sean_, but I never managed. In theory I think it`s possible, but very hard to get into. Thats why I started this topic so you can share your thoughts on crossed armed shuffles, suns and fans. Ofcourse I`m aiming on 2 diabolo`s here  :wink:

Anyone out there who has idea`s, just shout!

martijn

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:44:23 PM »
Yeah John, share your thoughts with us! :wink:

frank0072

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »
I have just tried a crossed arm shuffle, but I couldn't find a 'natural' way to get into that, so I did two-in-one-hand and then switched the sticks.

I found the shuffle very hard to do with crossed arms, but I can't do the 1D crossed-arm-over-the-arm neither, so maybe that has to do with it?
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Arjan

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:56:33 PM »
Maybe...
I find the allignment of a 2D crossed arm open string shuffle very hard. So both diabolo`s are in a backside, but the string is open due to the crossing of the arms. But, offcourse, when people work at this it`s doable. If only there was a freak up for it.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:24:53 PM »
Dave P did it in his routine at ShefCon didnt he?

seán_

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 01:03:32 AM »
I believe so, plus possibly in his first sfan of the week, but that had a large dose of reverse shuffle facing t'other way
http://diabolo.ca/video/week/2005_01_30/davep_2d_darkside_fan_sun_fan_360.mpg
I'd give the link to the thread but all people went on about was the speed of his shuffle.

A handy way of geting things on the darkside anyway. pluss potential 'rest' positions between trying the advance moves.

One thought on alignment I had comes from playing about with crossed strings and taking the shuffle behind the  back, Allowing the sticks to drop vertically always seems to help me plus either a neutral or a steady synch shuffle (narrower).
I'll look into this crosshandedness stuff tommorow but I dont know if i have the string control for anything flash.

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 01:03:34 AM »
I have some kind of other entry for the crossed arm shuffle but never really tried to continue with the crossed arm shuffle (too lazy). I put a left backwrap  on the left diab, then do a double magic knot until it is on the darkside but I do some kind of armstall, then throw the right one up and catch it on the darkside, then some kind of sun and continue with the crossed arm shuffle. I usually use this with a 180 and do a lefthanded shuffle (do this starting with the right side magic knots to get to a crossed arm reverse shuffle, didnt try it more than one or two times though)
gotta give it more tries soon

btw someone tried crossed arms mini columns, most be pretty cool

Arjan

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 10:27:59 AM »
Yesterday, just for fun, I tried to do sun with one diabolo between crossed arms, and they are possible!! Altough you should use a short string I think.
But when a 1D normal sun is possible, a 2D sun or fan are posibble as well, not even needing to do backside with them.

Tiamat

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »
To enter crossed arm shuffle you can do a external sprinkler then take the left stick (for righties) with the right hand and catch the other stick with the left hand.
I don't know if you understood what I mean but I 'll try to film it.
Chloé

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 05:41:44 PM »
Hmm, this is an interesting topic guys. I havent tried it yet, but it sounds difficuly to do some of this stuff. Well, anyway here are some pointers that I just thought up to get into the cross armed stuff. For an sfan, just to a rocketstart, but switch the handsticks so they are crossed, for crossed shuffle, do a suicide, then switch hands(its pretty much like tiamats thing, his is probably better to use though). Then i have some thoughts in development about using and antisucide to get into it, but i will have to get back to you on that one.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

martijn

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 11:27:20 PM »
Nice input Tiamat and Chris! I like it.

Arjan

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 11:37:42 PM »
Quote from: Dracodragon
Hmm, this is an interesting topic guys. I havent tried it yet, but it sounds difficuly to do some of this stuff. Well, anyway here are some pointers that I just thought up to get into the cross armed stuff. For an sfan, just to a rocketstart, but switch the handsticks so they are crossed, for crossed shuffle, do a suicide, then switch hands(its pretty much like tiamats thing, his is probably better to use though). Then i have some thoughts in development about using and antisucide to get into it, but i will have to get back to you on that one.

Yeah I have probably already though about doing some suicides or whatever stuff and then swichting handstick before catching it. Obviously this has some intresting stuff for the diehards out here.

Flo

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 08:33:47 AM »
To get out of the shuffle you could do a genocide around both diabolos. That would be sick  8)
But interesting idea with the crossed arms, i will give it some tries today!
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

Tiamat

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 09:30:06 AM »
Quote from: sparx
To get out of the shuffle you could do a genocide around both diabolos.

I managed once but never again. It's really difficult to catch both diab and come back to the shuffle.
Hope someone get it one day.
Chloé

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 12:10:06 PM »
I'm getting so lazy with my diaboloing, for the past....aaaaaaaages, I haven't had the motivation to learn much new stuff.  As such I haven't worked on this at all since EJC but as I mentioned then cross armed fan is possible as I managed 2 rotations, just need to get the handstick motion correct to keep it going, tis very confusing when you've been doing normal fans for so long.

Good luck to whoever actually works on this, because I know, unfortunatly, its unlikely to be me.

Arjan

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »
Thats why I started this topic, so people get inspired to work on it. I find it very weird that some of the eastern players (Makky for example) who seem to be so yoyo inspired, seem to have not worked on it altough it`s not a very weird idea to come up with.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 01:37:09 AM »
Quote from: JGherkin
I'm getting so lazy with my diaboloing, for the past....aaaaaaaages, I haven't had the motivation to learn much new stuff.  As such I haven't worked on this at all since EJC but as I mentioned then cross armed fan is possible as I managed 2 rotations, just need to get the handstick motion correct to keep it going, tis very confusing when you've been doing normal fans for so long.

Good luck to whoever actually works on this, because I know, unfortunatly, its unlikely to be me.

What method to go crossed? and what fan entry? - & what do we need to do to inspire you again? - I know - many questions, but you were my inspiration to learn fans in the first place - you can't give up on us now John.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 08:30:48 AM »
Indeed Nev, many questions, I'll answer them in order.

Firstly I found the method that Arjan had previously discussed with, I think, Seán_ to work fine.  This is basically one side of a swinging fan that feels like it leads nicely into crossed arms.  I was using a swing to the right as that's the direction I naturally swing to first, although being an s-fan it is no longer "handed" so any direction should be fine.  Unless you can swing to any side happily then I expect you will have a more comfortable side to start the swing to.

Secondly, fan entry I was using was any s-fan entry then using that fan to swing into crossed arms.

And finally, I wish I knew the answer lol.  Maybe its because I've had alot on recently with buying a house, sorting out a job, working for A level exams, taking up new hobbies, and spending time trying to keep in touch with old friends.  I wouldn't exactly say I'm giving up though, just slowing down  :wink:  I'll still be turning up to as many conventions as I can make, espesh EJC cause this year was the best!  Maybe I just need to chat to a fan enthusiast for a day or so to get some solid ideas into my head for working on...or maybe I need some spinabolos as with them you seem to have the staircase more solid than its ever felt I could get it  :roll:   Maybe thats just how its meant to be, Sean got me into fans, I pushed them somewhat and got a few new tricks out of them and now I'm passing the buck  :wink:

nev

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 10:18:53 AM »
Quote from: JGherkin
Secondly, fan entry I was using was any s-fan entry then using that fan to swing into crossed arms.

Ah that makes more sense. I was trying to imagine getting into crossed arm shuffle and then starting the fan from there.

...or maybe I need some spinabolos as with them you seem to have the staircase more solid than its ever felt I could get it

Hmm actually no... since my 3 in a row last week I havent managed to pull another   :x

Glad to hear you're still doing some diabolo - we WILL meet up one day.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal