Author Topic: Advice (handstick choice)  (Read 4699 times)

Phil189

Advice (handstick choice)
« on: August 06, 2006, 09:19:39 PM »
Hey Guys, firstly, after finding this forum last night i was quite surprised and now i think its great, to see others videos, tricks, and equipment used. Thanks to the owners and the great threads i have seen. :D

i've had a diabolo for a few years not using it much but over the last few weeks i have been using it alot and starting to be able to do a few tricks. i have what i would call a basic beginners diabolo with the usal wooden handsticks.

i have been reading a few reviews and threads about different diabolos and have come to the conclusion that the finesse g2 look quite impressive.

i would like to get some advise on what would be the best diabolo and handsticks to get. i would say im not a beginner. although i would like a diabolo which would take a few falls and bumps but that would be able to perform tricks with speed and that would not be too light. i would like a set of metal handsticks that would not break at the tip (as i read from a few reviews) and that would not be too short or long. what would you suggest.

i also was wondering where i would be able to get a guide on a website or even a book that would be able to give me a few more tricks to learn and perform. if someone knows websites, or books that would be good please post them as i would like to try them out.

also if anyone knows a club or someone in northern ireland who would be able to met and teach me some stuff or who would like to met on a weekly basis to practice different routines that would be usal also. i know im asking alot but if some one could help i would be greatful and it may help other people also.

thanks in advance.
philip  :)
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

frank0072

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 09:57:12 PM »
welcome to the forum philip.

you do ask a lot of questions, and they can all be answered by using the search-engine on the forum. everything you ask about is already covered.

but, just to be nice: a MB Finesse G2 is a good choice for a diabolo, it can take a lot and has quite some expansion possibilities. You can just go ahead and buy it (but I would buy a Circus if I were you, just personal preference)

You seem to look for the ultimate handstick. Unfortunately that hasn't been made yet. The best sticks you can take at the moment for what you want are the new generation MB sticks, because they are less likely to break at the tips.

Further, for tricks you can look at www.circusplanet.net (great movies, but the descriptions are in dutch), www.diabolotricks.com and lots of other sites.
The dvd Diabology is a must-have if you want to learn new stuff and if you want to be blown out of your seat by the great tricks the guys of the MFP perform. You can also buy the books by Donald Grant, they have helped me a lot in my early months of diabolo.

I hope I have answered a bit of your questions, and I hope I didn't make a fool of myself with my english  :-s

To all the rest of d.ca: correct me if I am wrong in what I've said.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Tom Derrick

Re: Advice
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 09:58:24 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
There is a thread where you can introduce yourself here http://www.diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=8&start=495 which has a good set of questions to let people know a little bit more about you.
With the "what equipment do I buy?" question, your probably best to go to a juggling shop, and ask to try out some of the stuff. The choice of diabolo, stick material and length is all down to preference, as each have their own strengths and weaknesses. You can find a list of juggling shops here: http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/. Failing that, you could go to a juggling club, or meet up with some locals to try out their stuff (if they let you :) ). You can find them here: http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/ and http://www.jugglingdb.com/globe/index.php?show=members
As for tutorials, diabology on DVD is one of the best. Also, keep checking this site, and http://www.diabolotricks.com/ has a vast database of tricks, but it doesn't get updated too regularly.
I hope that helps,
Tom

Edit: Bah! Just got beaten to it

Phil189

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:39:25 AM »
Hey, thanks for your advice, all i wanted to add was what does anyone know about the Babache Xtreme Classic Handsticks would these be useful for me or would i be better to get another brand. what other handsticks would be useful.

thanks for your advise so far all advice welcomed.

philip
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

Flo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »
This has also been discussed before. But well, here's my oppinion: The "Henrys Aluminim" are also great and they don't break. (Sometimes they bend if they hit the floor, but you can easily bend them back).

Flo
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 10:49:10 AM »
Quote from: sparx
This has also been discussed before. But well, here's my oppinion: The "Henrys Aluminim" are also great and they don't break. (Sometimes they bend if they hit the floor, but you can easily bend them back).

Flo

I concur, I'm using them at the minute!It's all personal preference realy though. Henry's alus, carbs and the new generation Babache sticks are all good sticks.
Behind your back is your front.

nezzybaby

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
Whilst you're beginning, regular wooden sticks should be absolutely fine, there are videos of people doing 3 diabolos with wooden sticks, so long as the string is fairly decent it really doesnt matter too much. Before you buy yourself any sticks try usig both an aluminium pair and a carbon fibre pair, they are VERY different. Personally i can't stand the way carbon sticks flex, it takes a lot to break them, but the flexing takes some getting used to. On the other hand ive had people say my aluminium sticks are too short and rigid, and some find the flex helps on certain tricks.

If you can find a club in northern ireland, it will help you a lot with new tricks, and hopefully give you a chance to try out some different sticks.

good luck and happy diaboloing

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 08:01:06 PM »
sorry lads but it's all about wood, wood, and er wood, just different sizes and shapes, i hate the way the string slips around on the aluminium ones and i hate the flex on all the carbon fibre ones. but after all it's all opinion, try it and see!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 11:44:33 PM »
I'd like to point towards this forum's own Trick Sticky for tricks and such to work on.  You won't always see a handy animation or even a video, but hopefully the descriptions would suffice for you to work it out.  The Trick sticky holds lots of information on many different tricks and videos to all the most talked about tricks and moves.  If you have any further questions, you can post them in the existing thread.

Circusplanet is also very good for it's videos.

Sticks are a personal preferences, some swear by some and some by others.   I often wonder if people did try out different ones or bought one set and have just stuck to it and developed with them.  Either way, you'll normally like what you get.  If you do get the Mister Babache Xtreme sticks, make sure you ask for the Generation 3 stick which has a plastic insert inside an aluminium insert inside the stick.  If it's not, stay away!

Others have made a more than concise effort to point you in all the right directions (over here, over there, back there somemore).  There's lots to diabolo, hope you stick with it.

Chiok
(anyone notice that Niels Coopman has joined the forum...?)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Phil189

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:09:03 PM »
hey ive just got the diabolo from Mr B the finesse, and im getting on great with it i thought i would let you guys know and thank you for your help im getting on ok with the new handsticks aswell these are the extrem classics, they are quite good also.
just one question how can i tell if the diabolo is the G2 one, and how do i know the handsticks are the G3 versions.

thanks again.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 10:40:40 PM »
Ahem...
Quote from: Phil189
just one question how can i tell if the diabolo is the G2 one, and how do i know the handsticks are the G3 versions.
Quote from: Chiok
If you do get the Mister Babache Xtreme sticks, make sure you ask for the Generation 3 stick which has a plastic insert inside an aluminium insert inside the stick. If it's not, stay away!
As for which generation Finesse you have, a G2 has a groove around the lip of the cup and is rounded on the edges.  A G1 has a pronounced "corner".

Hope that helps, remember, "It's always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one".

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal