Author Topic: weight of used diabolos  (Read 7507 times)

trash

weight of used diabolos
« on: August 14, 2006, 05:26:17 PM »
Just to share something not very important:

I bought some new 'clean' diabolos for the stage (circus with teflon hubs like the old ones, 6 years old). After some practice, my arms were heavy...normal:
weight of a used one: around 269gr
weight of a new one: around 281gr.
I did'nt think the difference would be so important, but it is.
That's all!

Arjan

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:08:50 PM »
Ow yeah... especially when doing 3 you really notice the difference.
I love my old circus`s, but they are so ****ed up.
So they got 12 gr lighter just by playing?

I remember your old circus`s were very clean most of the time, I wonder if cleaning has something to do with them getting lighter.

barnesy

• Administrator
weight of used diabolos
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 06:20:14 PM »
I've just weighed my 4 circusses.  They're all fitted with the Henrys All Round axle kit.  The 12 year old ones are 252g, the 5(ish) year old one is 257g, and the one I bought a few months ago is 252g.

That makes me wonder if the axles have changed?  I doubt that I can work out which bits of old axles I have belong together, or I'd weigh those too.

martijn

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 06:29:30 PM »
Same here Trash, after I lost my 3rd white Circus at the BelJC, I bought a new yellow one in Millstreet, and it weighed about 8 grams more, using the same teflon hubs. My white Circusses are only 1,5 years old!

Phil189

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 06:38:19 PM »
does this happen with the finesse, how does a diabolo get lighter with use
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

frank0072

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 06:47:25 PM »
well, everytime the diabolo drops a little bit of it's material wears of, and after a few years it's actually a few grams. I already knew there was difference between my older and newer ones, because of the sharpness of the edges, but that the differnce was so significant I didn't know..
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

barnesy

• Administrator
weight of used diabolos
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:17:17 PM »
Quote from: frank0072
well, everytime the diabolo drops a little bit of it's material wears of, and after a few years it's actually a few grams. I already knew there was difference between my older and newer ones, because of the sharpness of the edges, but that the differnce was so significant I didn't know..

I have the same difference in the edges, but not in the weights.

Phil189

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 08:23:14 PM »
This must only be with the circus diabolo as it seems to have alot more metal on it, as the axle is made out of it not like the finesse. i would think this problem would not happen with the finesse asd it has not realy got much that could waer away.
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
weight of used diabolos
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:09 PM »
I wouldn't really say its a problem, as trash said originally, "Just to share something not very important".  It seemed more of an observation rather than a complaint.

Also, the metal on the circus would not affect this, it's where the rubber is gradually worn off over years of drops, and probably also slight variation in each diabolo (lets face it, production can't be perfect).  Barnsey's post also supports this to a certain degree although the use of different hubs would contribute.

It must happen to the finesse as well, no matter what material it is made of after lots of use and a year or two of drops on varying surfaces.

Phil189

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »
What is the finesse cups made out of? as they seem to be scuffing already but i dont think they will loose weight as much as the circus would. i dont realy think this is to worry about atall as you get used to a diabolo only a few weeks after using it so having it two years you dont notice the weight difference atall.

Chiok

• Donator
weight of used diabolos
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »
Quote from: Phil189
i dont realy think this is to worry about atall as you get used to a diabolo only a few weeks after using it so having it two years you dont notice the weight difference atall.
You can't really say that because the issue isn't about having it for x-number of years and getting used to it, it's about moving from your old diabolos to the new ones.  A few grams makes alot of difference especially when doing multiple diabolos.

Finesses are made from Hirex and Circus from Rextan.  All made up words which disguise their real physical composition so I wasn't able to find any real useful information about them.  Fact of matter is, both are made of a plastic which will wear away and erode over time from drops thus making them lighter.  John's right as well, production is never exact so there's always gonna be differences.  I doubt Henrys or MB have the money for a Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs) to check their dimensions.

Interesting though on the rather large difference between a new and old one.  Just goes to show how much practise diaboloists put into their work.  Perhaps people will do what ball-spinners do and tape pennies inside the cups to balance them back out again.

When I'm older and richer, perhaps I'll design and produce high tolerance equipment for the descerning individual.

Chiok
(edit: Apologies JC, you have a good point.  My bad.)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

JC

• Donator
weight of used diabolos
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 02:43:24 PM »
@chiok

what means CMM?
I think it would be better if you use not these short forms.
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

nev

• Donator
weight of used diabolos
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »
CMM = Co-ordinate Measuring Machine

Acurate 3D measuring equipment used in high end manufacturing / enginerring as part of quality control.

edit - beat me to it Chiok  :wink:
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

martijn

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »
Quote from: Chiok
Perhaps people will do what ball-spinners do and tape pennies inside the cups to balance them back out again.

You can't really say that because the issue isn't about the diabolo getting unbalanced, it's about the weight difference :wink: (sorry, couldn't resist)

I actually believe old diabolos are better balanced than new ones. That is true for my diabolos at least. My new yellow one wobbles much more than my old white ones.

fredo

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
Quote from: Martijn

I actually believe old diabolos are better balanced than new ones. That is true for my diabolos at least. My new yellow one wobbles much more than my old white ones.
right, my newest one, a pink Finesse still wobbles quite a bit sometimes...annoying :wink:

Phil189

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »
I notice the finesse does wobble a bit but this is my first finesse and i didnt take much notice of it, im starting to get used to bit now but would you say that the wobbling in the new finesse is a bad thing, and how could this be fixed.

seán_

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 01:14:32 AM »
well by reading the instructions I'd say by rotating the cups.

Or just using it until the forces sort it out.

Matt_

• Donator
weight of used diabolos
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 08:31:57 AM »
all of my finesses wobbled when i first got them, they were crushed during shipping. my orange one looked more like egg shaped than circular when i got it. just using it worked that out.

Phil189

weight of used diabolos
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 12:05:22 PM »
Well i must have been lucjy then because mine wasnt too crushed when i got it. i did notice tho that through use this goes away or is it me just getting used to the way it works and get used to its wobbles and currecting them

Mark BMC

• Donator
Re: weight of used diabolos
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »
Bump!

okay so i had some free time at work this week and decided to use our electronic weighing scales in the lab.I performed the measurements on 2 circi both with pom hubs and aluminium bolts and washers. the black is the newer diabolo,

Experiment to discover relative weight differences in components of Henry circus diabolo’s

Aim
To minimise weight difference between the diabolo’s and to make each half as balanced in terms of weight as possible.

Results

Black                     White
Cups    105.79!   105.79!        103.42        103.15
Hubs     11.82   11.74        12.45                     12.55
Large      7.88   7.85        7.85                     7.70
washer   

Only minimal difference found in the weight of small washers, dome nut, middle screw.

original total weights
White -   263.81

Black -    267.54

By swapping components between the diabolo’s I was able to adjust that to

White – 264.03 [major factor in weight increase was finding a heaver washer [still standard circus washer]

Black -  267.38

Conclusion
Firstly I was surprised that my black circus cups were identical in weight to .01 of a gram   probably a fluke.

Their was much more variation in the pom hubs than I would have expected

The major success of this hour spent not working, was being able to balance each half of the diabolo’s by swapping components to minimise weight difference.

White  126.7                    
Black  127.78

These measurements include cup both washers and nut.

Evaluation
4g weight difference between diabolo’s, but diabolo’s well balanced individually.
I need to get out more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal