Author Topic: Excalibur genocides tutorial  (Read 42698 times)

martijn

Excalibur genocides tutorial
« on: August 16, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »
I know what you guys are thinking: "will he ever stop?!", well the answer is... no :)

Some time ago I finally found the correct technique (for me at least) to do excalibur genocides. After I learnt the basic one, I tried variations and they worked pretty well too. Then I realised there wasn't a very good tutorial on how to do them (perhaps because it is such an advanced trick). So, since it all is fresh in my memory, and I like making video's, here it is... I also came up with the idea to make a version for both righties and lefties. This might be the future for tutorials... If it doesn't matter, or if it is confusing (because you're used to make that switch in your mind) for you lefties, please let me know. I'd be happy to hear what you guys think.

Direct download (righties)
http://circusplanet.net/diabolo/video/excgentut_righties.avi (29,1 MB)

Streaming (righties)
http://juggling.tv/vaults/view_video.php?viewkey=bcfe8450a1a41c200364
http://juggletube.com/mediadetails.php?key=751cf3f247855f937b98

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9XsmdRrKP9A#hq

Direct download (lefties)
http://circusplanet.net/diabolo/video/excgentut_lefties.avi (30 MB)

Streaming (lefties)
http://juggling.tv/vaults/view_video.php?viewkey=71ff252c1903e7132cd6
http://juggletube.com/mediadetails.php?key=4aa3ad78bdd6b366cc17

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NVU7i_rNgiA#lq-hq

TimEllis

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 06:32:20 PM »
Wow I could've used this video a couple months ago!  I learned excal. genocides from watching Silver Creek videos repeatedly.  Great tutorial.  Very well put together.
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

Marc

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 10:31:56 PM »
nice tutorial. i have just learnt excalibur genocides, do u need a lot of speed to do do the continuous genocides because when i get past the first one my diabolo has no spin or is it just my technique?
thanks
marc

martijn

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »
I showed the continuous genocides with my Spinabolo, because it loses spin a lot slower, which makes it easier to do several in a row. I can do 3 in a row with a Circus before it becomes too unstable. I think it's a combination of giving it enough speed and having the right technique (unwrapping asap, keeping it straight? I dunno). Tr'espace can do like 5 in a row easily with a Circus, perfect control. Amazing.

But hey, Nev found a way to make a Fan last forever, perhaps someone will find a way to do excalibur genocides forever!

Magnus

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:08:24 AM »
Very nice tutorial! :)

Only hope I'll be good enough too make use of it some day :P I want to learn exalibur soon, but I'm focusing on 2d atm :)

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 07:10:45 AM »
Quote from: Martijn
But hey, Nev found a way to make a Fan last forever, perhaps someone will find a way to do excalibur genocides forever!

Or a never-ending Vertax Fan!  8)  :P
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 07:37:01 AM »
ooh, nice video, very in depth.

the lefty vid is the same one, but reversed, yeah?

btw, no chance of ever getting your vids on youtube, eh? i guess on my normal comp it doesn't make a difference, but on this computer (slow, small hard drive) i just download vids and delete them right after, so streaming is nice...

martijn

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 11:52:07 AM »
Quote from: Matt_
the lefty vid is the same one, but reversed, yeah?

Yup, so if you aren't a lefty (I would like to hear from them what they think about the idea), please do not download both (this is to all righthanded members :P).

Quote from: Matt_
btw, no chance of ever getting your vids on youtube, eh?

I was considering it, but I didn't really see why it was necessary. Then I figured out it's not necessary, but just useful for some folks. So I'm gonna try today, make my account, upload my latest videos... It'll provide a good summary of my video's I think. EDIT: They're all up now at http://youtube.com/profile?user=martijnhalekor

nev

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 02:16:16 PM »
Quote from: Marc
do u need a lot of speed to do do the continuous genocides because when i get past the first one my diabolo has no spin or is it just my technique?

Like Tijn said its a combination of both - the more spin you start with the more you'll be able to do if your technique is right.  Keeping things perfectly vertical is most important or you'll be scrubbing speed off on the hubs and keep the catch as clean as possible (as horizontal as you can with no up or down movement on the string / handstick).  And unwrap early

Quote from: Tijn
perhaps someone will find a way to do excalibur genocides forever!

Had'nt concidered this one (I usually use a rachet as well for vertax) so I tried with my circus and try after try could also only get 3 - then I applied the following thoughts:
right after the stopover very quickly (so as not to cause friction) move your hands so the diab is near the right stick (for righty's) then steadily pull into the genocide (applying spin as you pull) - then as you catch & unwrap get the diab near to the right stick quickly again for another spin applying pull - takes a bit of getting used too and doesnt add "much" spin but even a little bit more helps right? - after a few minutes I pulled off 4 & almost made 5  :o - a lot harder is to do away the wrap on the catch - unwrap before the string fully wraps (do it as you swap hands & before you catch the other stick) so its almost like a regular suicide.  This is very hit and miss for me so far but when I get one right there is noticably more spin carried over.

Quote from: Whillzy
Or a never-ending Vertax Fan!

I do hope you were joking there. Not with normal diabolos anyway - even if you could constantly correct them to keep them straight the friction on the hubs required to do so would scrub off so much spin.

With 2 ratchets however it is possible (but damn hard).  The main difficulty is as stated above - the need to constantly correct them due to the extra gravitational forces involved.  My record is about 6 seconds of fan & I managed an exit once only!

EDIT - forgot to say nice work on the tutorial Tijn :oops: its very clearly laid out - I'm sure I will help a lot of people get the buzz of landing their first one.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

fredo

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:45:26 PM »
wow, nice tutorial! since I only can do btb ones (but 3 in a row  :P ) thsi vid motivates me to learn regular ones properly...

ever tried the behind the neck pass tijn? feels strange somehow... :P

martijn

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 03:36:29 PM »
Yeah, I've heard of a lot of people that the behind the back one is easier. Norbi told me, and I thought he was right (because I nailed a few sloppy ones). However, since I'm using the correct technique now, I do find it a bit harder to catch the diabolo, in the btb pass genocide. It's best to learn all possible variations anyway :wink:

Quote from: fredo
ever tried the behind the neck pass tijn? feels strange somehow...

No, I haven't yet! That's so obvious... can't wait to try!

fredo

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 03:52:44 PM »
No, I haven't yet! That's so obvious... can't wait to try!
but pay attention, don't catch it too close to your body - the stick comes close at the height of your head  :wink:

It looks cool to kneel when you exchange the sticks - and when kneeling, you won't have to move the whole genocide motion up...just do it as a normal btb one then :D

oh well, just try it!

MikeW

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 04:52:33 PM »
again, very nice video from you. I never realized till now, but whenever i do vertax geni's i dont unwrap, and just leave it there and use that wrap to start accelerating it again... that just might solve my lack of spin problem when im done.

now off to practice some more!

Mike Willett
I do what no one else does today so that i can live like no one else can tomorrow.

martijn

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »
Quote from: MikeW
I never realized till now, but whenever i do vertax geni's i dont unwrap, and just leave it there and use that wrap to start accelerating it again.

And that is exactly what I was doing all the time, untill I tried to unwrap it with my lefthand. That did the trick for me.

Phil189

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
Im not at this standard yet but when i am ill try that example. you make it look very easy thanks!
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »
brillient tuturaial, very well explained
Martjin Said
perhaps someone will finda way to do excalibur genocides forever!

couldnt you do it from right to left and realse your right stick(if your right handed), this probrbly wouldnt last forever but might take off less speed every time you do one, just and idea, i have never tryed it
zack turner

nev

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 09:46:16 PM »
Quote from: ztt
Martjin Said
perhaps someone will finda way to do excalibur genocides forever!

couldnt you do it from right to left and realse your right stick(if your right handed), this probrbly wouldnt last forever but might take off less speed every time you do one, just and idea, i have never tryed it

I tried those a while back and landed a few but found they took off more spin than the regular way - and they feel odd
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

martijn

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 09:49:34 PM »
They certainly feel odd - it nearly killed me when I tried it!

Ah well, I'm not so into infinite tricks myself, although I find it interesting to see and discuss about.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 09:50:16 PM »
I tried them too and they do slow down the diabolo ...
But maybe it's because we're not used to it

nev

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »
Quote from: Crackers
But maybe it's because we're not used to it

Agreed - but I'm sure someone will find the time to get it solid, then we might find it useful after all.

Ah well, I'm not so into infinite tricks myself, although I find it interesting to see and discuss about

though it may seem contrary to my recent posts, neither am I - I like the principles of it because if you are able to keep someting going a long time it means you are able to enter into it without the "setup" i.e. you can do it at the end of a long combo with little spin left - not just to do it over and over

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal