Author Topic: How Many Professionals are there?  (Read 22155 times)

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
Re: How Many Professionals are there?
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »
You can make a living of Diaboloing in Asia.
Ling Wei Liang (william ling) does it.
they have academies for this and schools have competitions.
but like a lotta stuff its limited to asia (like professional video gaming)

you can make living by diaboloing anywhere.. why not? it is like any job, if you find people who like to pay enought for diaboling (audience, usually..) then you can make living by it.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »
Agree with Jussi, i know some guys who make living out of diabolo. Juggling & magic is pretty much only job i do apart for university studies. Haven't had a normal job for 5-6 years... So i believe that you can make it even if you don't live in the east.  You just have to make it, i didn't wait for somebody to pay me. I work to get the gigs. Do some marketing, sell diabolos and perform and you'll do just fine.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
big bump. But not worth a new topic.
I realised today as I'm currently touring with the Great Moscow Circus, I'm currently living by myself (I don't usually) and supporting myself entirely through my diabolo performances that I've gone pro. So I guess its adds me to this very, very old list, how about we update it?

PS: Does this make me the youngest professional diabolist in the world? I don't think ofek counts. See a pro as someone who lives entriely off their performances.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

wgm

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:37 AM »
Does this make me the youngest professional diabolist in the world? I don't think ofek counts. See a pro as someone who lives entriely off their performances.
I think the cirque du soleil girls are younger. but I don't know their financial status so they might live off of other things.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 06:19:52 AM »
Nah, they totally are much older than Will here. They don't name the performers anywhere in Soleil Acts, but the girls aren't that young anymore (well there might be many girls performing as the diabolo quartet, who knows?).

The Chinese diabolo act for Quidam dates at least back to 1995 when it won Gold metal in Festival du Cirque de Demain in Paris. Now that act itself is ages old. So if there would have been only four girls doing the same act (for 15years now) they would have to be at least 20 now. (I'm counting that you have to be at least 5 years to be able to somersault yourself out from human pyramid and be able to catch diabolo after that.) ;) I believe Quidam came out in 1996 and they had worked before that. Now if you look the diabolo in La Nouba (which premiered first in 1999, so probably videos we see around are from early 2002 or something) those sure look like the same girls yet much older. Television airs old stuff and if you bring something from television to youtube it definitely is old. And if you take in account that chinese girls always look younger than they really are I'd say that the girls are about my age, 25years. Or even older? Correct me if my guess goes wrong. ;)   

I'm totally putting my money on William being younger pro, how old were you Will?

«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Richard

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
Nah, they totally are much older than Will here. They don't name the performers anywhere in Soleil Acts, but the girls aren't that young anymore (well there might be many girls performing as the diabolo quartet, who knows?).

Do we know for a fact that they're the same girls?  They still look pretty young

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
I'm 16, 17 in March so that sounds right to me.
On a slightly related note Moscow asked me to stay on tour with them until May! Instead of finishing in Feb. Apparently they got lots of positive feedback. Ego boost.  8)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
Ego boost.  8)
Just what you need Will  ::)

Richard

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
I'm 16, 17 in March so that sounds right to me.
On a slightly related note Moscow asked me to stay on tour with them until May! Instead of finishing in Feb. Apparently they got lots of positive feedback. Ego boost.  8)

Wicked mate - does that mean touring around other parts of Australia or the world?

School?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »
Other parts of aus. All I know is we're heading up to canberra then sydney with a few places inbetween perhaps. I haven't been to Sydney except when I was newborn and too young to remember. Or Canberra. :) Its gonna be pretty full on. I do just under 80 shows in Tas over less that two months. So alot of shows.

Richard

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »
Yeah - Sydney's a pretty intense place - I lived there for 2 years.  Really fast pace and hectic.

Let me know if you're coming to Melbourne :)

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
William,

I'm glad to hear that you're getting the exposure and experience that circus performing can give a person.  It seems that you have done as much as anyone to advance diabolo to the general public.  After AGT, diabolo sales in Australia probably tripled.  Your performances at AGT were amazing, so I'm sure that you are a big crowd pleaser in the circus.  Lots of kids dream of running away with the circus, but you're actually doing it!  Congratulations!

-Jason

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal