Author Topic: Ball Bearing.. circus?  (Read 8593 times)

kyo

Ball Bearing.. circus?
« on: September 21, 2006, 12:25:56 AM »
Ok, so I was sitting around playing with the bearing finesse.. and I started thinking, ok now what about the circus.

So, I grabbed a circus, ripped it apart, and headed to the lathe. 2 cuts later, I had this..

Basically machined out the center of the inside hub to accept spinabolo spacers flush against the side. Then I machined out a recess for a spacer on the outside of the henry's hub so that it would keep the axle centered.

I currently have it set up with the same kit I am using in the finesse, but the axle is a bit long, so I may be able to get away with using the stock spintastics parts, I'll try that tomorrow.

Anyway, the end result..

It plays great, very smooth, no vibration at all. It's still got that weight and feel of the circus, but with crazy spin times. Anyway, just thought I'd share. If I can do this with stock spinabolo parts, and I can get a supply of them.. I may have to start making these for anybody who wants one.

Kyle

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Ball Bearing.. circus?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:44:17 AM »
Neat! Now do it with plastic hubs and put me first on the waiting list. ;)

kyo

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 01:17:48 AM »
shh! that was tomorrows project ;)

stupendous

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 01:41:00 AM »
Right on!!

Combining my two favorite diabolos... the Spinabolo and the Circus... sweet!!
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

Scooby

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 07:45:34 AM »
Sounds like a great idea, Which Works!

but then again, you have to remember your getting rid of the best trick there is. 

THE ELEVATOR.

i wish i had a lathe so i could make wicked custom parts for my diabolos.
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 07:53:10 AM »
I've heard many a time on this forum that a couple of wraps will let the elevator work fine  ;)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:34:33 AM »
that's freakin sweet dude. mass produce those, you will become a famous name in aftermarket diabolo products!

kyo

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 06:55:22 AM »
The problem is getting bearing parts.. though I suppose I could just get them directly from the same place spintastics does..

I do a good deal of production work already with the yoyo industry, adding something like this wouldn't be a huge deal. However, I'm sure these are not perfect.. so if any of you *coughmattcough* want to test it out for me and see if there is anything you'd like different.. be it lighter weight, differnt material, etc.. I'd be happy to send along the parts.

Kyle

kjm

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »
thats pretty sweet(wish i did)
and if u do make em to anm sell ill be an early customer
(unlesss shipping to florida is a problem)

kyo

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 05:10:51 PM »
well, I live IN florida.. so not a big deal :)

Where in florida do you live?

Kyle

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »
hey like Sean said, put those together with plastic hubs and you've got a buyer ;) although i wonder how much it'd be...maybe manufacture your own plastic hubs too?

kyo

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »
Which plastic hubs? I've seen 6 or 7 different setups for the circus.. anybody have a particular favorite?

Kyle

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 01:31:52 AM »
i like the standard ones, but....i wish it was just a tiny tiny bit wider. not as wide or fat as their Giant hubs or as much as the 4erlei hubs....imagine a cross between stock and 4erlei! so i guess more like the Finesse in a way...that would be cool.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 02:30:36 AM »
According to the poll (ahem) regular hubs are the favourite. I'd say go with a regular shape to start with. I'm sure you could make them yourself without too much trouble, or find a supplier of the standard henrys ones.

What about offering just the modified hubs so that people can adapt the finesse bearing kit for either diabolo? Maybe offer the modified hubs alone until you can get a good supply of bearing kits?

kyo

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 02:34:31 AM »
That's likely what will happen if I can't get a supply of bearings and such..

the problem is that spintastics themselves doesn't have a great supply either.

I know I can get them myself, but it's a matter of being cost effective.. the bearings alone would probably cost me $10/ea. in small quantities. The hubs are easy enough to either produce or modify.. but I don't think people would be so interested if the kit ends up costing $30 heh.. need to keep this cheap.

Kyle

Arjan

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 06:45:34 AM »
And it is very possible that the heat of the bearing melts the hubs. The stock iron ones are not such a bad idea.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 06:50:06 AM »
what the?? the spiniabolo bearings get THAT hot??

kyo

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »
I would SERIOUSLY doubt it would ever get that hot.

Bearings for our purposes simply don't heat up very much, if at all. We're talking about several hundred degrees of heat to melt anything, I'd be surprised if a bearing got more than a few degrees hotter at any given point.

If you were running the bearing at max rpm (15,000 or so) for many hours without stopping, then perhaps? But short of that, I don't consider it to be a problem. And even then, the bearing never directly contacts the plastic.

The problem currently is that I can't get any more bearing kits until Nov. Would you guys want just the hubs until then?

Kyle

trash

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 05:45:35 PM »
The spintastics are in plastic and mines are still working...

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 05:53:07 PM »
Would you guys want just the hubs until then?
Absolutely! With regards to the heat issue - if it's not an issue with the finesse hubs (or the spintastic hubs these things have been on for ages) then I doubt there would be an issue with circus plastic hubs.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 08:23:07 PM »
the bearings do melt i've melted a few but it's only the inside of the bearing and the axle thats effected. the hubs will be fine. oh and i harshly need a henry's one  more than my left leg if your up for sorting me out? this is so sick! there needs to be more filthy modded hybrid type diabs out there. good f****** job!

kyo

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »
So purely by coincidence, I got a handful of plastic hubs for the circus in today from a friend.. I'll have a plastic version of this up later tonight.

I will work on getting some hubs produced of my own.. I'd like to try matt's suggestion of using the stock plastic hub, but slightly wider like the finesse.

Kyle

kjm

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 12:30:30 AM »
from way back there
i live in miami love the beaches here ;D

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 04:41:34 PM »
Sounds like you're creating the ultimate diabolo, good luck! If they ever come into production you've got another customer.
Behind your back is your front.

kyo

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
Ok, small setback.. I screwed up :)

I thought I'd been using a stock spinabolo axle to modify the circus.. but I'd grabbed a long one by mistake. I need the long axle.

The good news is that it's a very simple part, and I can probably have them made fairly cheap.. so the kit for the moment will be the hubs and the axle.. until I can get a real supply of bearings and washers from spintastics.

Kyle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal