Author Topic: Fire Handsticks  (Read 11138 times)

matthewthegreat

Fire Handsticks
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:04:28 AM »
I made some fire handsticks. all I needed was:

a pair of wood handsticks

lots of tin foil to cover the would stick with. (very important  ;D)

Fire Wick

And some nuts and bolts

Any one interested?

P.S. I am not recomending this. ;)

Punkerpanda

Re: Fire Handsticks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:38:48 AM »
that's awesome

do you use gloves to reduce the heat on the hands?

some pictures would be awesome  :)

jacky

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »
well..it's does not really impress me alot but it is good that u came out a idea like this..

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:47:53 PM »
That would mess up the weighting a bit right?

When i made some, i wrapped the wick tightly around the stick (so it wasnt thick), and went all the way down the handle, so keeping it balances normally. Fun

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 03:09:09 PM »
Just curious, doesnt the string melt from the fire? Or are you using kevlar string?

Kobe

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »
A couple of months ago I've also made fire sticks. I've deleted the rubber from one of my Henry's alu-sticks, and put some kevlar on it, on the place where you normally place your hand. Without special string or something, and I kept on doing inf. suicide stuff.

Kobe

matthewthegreat

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:33:44 PM »
that's awesome

do you use gloves to reduce the heat on the hands?

some pictures would be awesome  :)

no I did not wear gloves but it probably be a good idea because your hands get very hot using these ;D

and I will post some photos when I take some

It didn't mess up the weight too bad.

Just curious, doesn't the string melt from the fire? Or are you using kevlar string?

Defiantly use kevlar string!!!!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 06:24:38 PM »

It didn't mess up the weight too bad.

See, i'm a suicide kinda guy, and that seems like it would be very unfriendly with suicides.

matthewthegreat

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 10:44:49 PM »
I don't have any photos yet but I have a preview of a video I am making (sorry but it is just a preview I will post the full version soon) and it has a lot of fire sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tBevv1BXU

Hope you enjoy it.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 04:00:03 AM »
wow, that was cool. i dig the infinite suicide! i wanted to see how you got out of that...

"burning like fire" is a pretty stupid name though...i mean, it burns like fire because it is fire! you can't describe an apple as "tastes like an apple," can you?

matthewthegreat

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 05:09:27 AM »
"burning like fire" is a pretty stupid name though...i mean, it burns like fire because it is fire! you can't describe an apple as "tastes like an apple," can you?

I agree with you I need to think up up a different name. Any suggests??

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 08:03:10 AM »
I don't know, I'm not good with names either. Maybe you don't need a name?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 11:03:47 AM »
Do we need to stick lighters up in the air for the 80's rock, or are the handsticks enough?

That's a really nice effect, just accelerations with the diabolo can appear like a low, wide 3 club cascade.  It makes fire diaboloing much more interesting now that the handsticks can be seen.  Not a new idea I'm sure, but I've not seen it done.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

matthewthegreat

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 03:11:48 PM »
wow, that was cool. i dig the infinite suicide! i wanted to see how you got out of that...

The reason you didn't see me get out of that was because the battires went dead in the camera before I was done with that trick >:(

I don't know, I'm not good with names either. Maybe you don't need a name?

I am not good with names but I do want to name this video. How about the name  Fascination aflame ?

martijn

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
Even though I don't like fire to play with myself (light is much more comfortable, and just as cool imo), a fire diabolo combined with fire sticks look great! I'd say use gloves, because you don't want to accidentally grab the sticks in a wrong way (close to the string) after some suicides! Nice job, can't wait to see more shots :)

matthewthegreat

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 09:31:44 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!!!

I changed the name to Pyromania so I changed the preview video slightly here is the new video link (I changed the above link too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tBevv1BXU

I hope to finsh the video with in this month. I will post it on the diabolo.ca as soon as I finsh

seán_

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 01:08:56 AM »
Thats looking like a great addition to fire diabolo.

I've been thinking that i might try this with either a set of Mr Babache Zipp Lighting Stick or the Henrys ones, moving the wick a bit further back.

The babache ones are based on the old performer handsticks. Not sure about heat transference up the tubes though.

eggy900

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 04:33:45 AM »
That look really cool, i might try and convert my old babache extremes to fire sticks, or i might even dig out my old babache performers,

How much does the heat travel up the stick?

matthewthegreat

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 05:43:45 AM »
I wouldn't move the wick further back nor would I use a stick that is too short. With my 15 inch long sticks and the wick where it is the flames almost reaches my hand. Trust me your hands get very hot and it is not because the stick it self is hot but because there are flame shooting up at your hand all the time. If you use the xtremes I would cover the handle with tin foil because I would think the Handles on the xtremes might melt.

The first time I used these it was very scary but (as you can see) very cool!! :)

eggy900

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 10:41:36 AM »
Flames I can deal with as I have some kevlar gloves, I think I'll probably do it on my performers, because i'm not too fussed if they get broken and there's the added length of them that's always useful

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal