Author Topic: "Show unread posts" button  (Read 4604 times)

Chiok

• Donator
"Show unread posts" button
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:34:54 PM »
I've been trying to use this show unread posts button to look at any posts that have come up since I've not looked at it last doesn't seem to work for me.  I leave the sight, I come back later, I click on the link, and it says that there are no new topics, or new posts.

This means I've had to search through each forum like some sort of neandathal looking for what's new and remembering what the date was yesterday.

Do I need to log out and log in again?  Because that didn't work either.  And it says I've been logged on for 1hour and 44minutes, even though I've not.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sean

• Administrator
Re: "Show unread posts" button
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »
Hmm, well the logged in time is a total active time from when I first installed SMF. The "show unread posts since last visit" link seems to work for me regardless of whether I have been inactive (or left the site) or logged out. I'm not sure - anyone else experiencing this? What browser are you using?

There's also the "show recent posts" link at the bottom of the main forum. Sometimes I find it easiest to use that.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:48:17 PM »
I think it's working for me, but I've not had time to properly work all the new stuff out since getting back from Bristol.  One thing I did notice was that when I tried switching to a different theme, I lost the list of recent posts - I guess that's  not included in all the themes.  I doubt that's your problem, Chiok, but perhaps it's relevant.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:03:41 PM »
interesting, Chiok, i'm having the opposite problem. I always get logged out, but when i click "show unread posts" it logs me in and takes me right where i'm supposed to go.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:22:26 PM »
Well, I'm using Internet Explorer, like I've always done.  If I'm still on the site and new posts come up and I click the link, then it will display those.  It's almost as if when I come onto the forum, it considers me to have read everything new.

There are other steps I can take I guess, just reading the bit at the bottom I guess.  Perhaps I'll work something out, but it's quite annoying... liked the old forum...

Cheers though,
Chiok

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 12:11:01 AM »
I click on the link, and it says that there are no new topics, or new posts.

Same problem here. Thought it was just me.
When i try there is way down at the bottom the word "loading..." but nothing's loaded yet.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 12:48:20 AM »
Could it be this? I ran the SQL query. Fixed?

Might also want to try marking all messages as read.

martijn

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »
Weird... I don't have any problems with it at all. It works just fine for me.

The Vitamin Guy

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
I used to have the same problem, but it fixed after all the "new" markings left from the old posts.
The Vitamin Guy

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 04:13:12 PM »
Ha, so I just logged in and for the first time I had this problem. Maybe this has to do with having manually updated the SQL database. I tried marking all messages as read and we'll see what happens.

edit - yeap, that fixed it. 'tis working for me. Others?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 11:06:04 AM »
Yep, I came on the forum, pushed the button, and yep, it works!

Cheers,
Chiok

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal