Author Topic: Chris, Ben, and Matt at Berkeley 2006  (Read 11389 times)

Matt_

• Donator
Chris, Ben, and Matt at Berkeley 2006
« on: October 07, 2006, 02:53:08 AM »
here is a very very short video of a few clips from the Berkeley Juggling festival, featuring Chris and Matt of the SC Jugglers, and Ben from Pasadena.

the fest was pretty cool. All three of us were in the show; Chris and I were together in a short vignette and Ben had his own section. Ben did great, Chris and I were...ehh. The combo that I do in this video is what I was SUPPOSED to do on stage (and had done many hundreds of times flawlessly) but I dropped 4 or 5 times--I got really nervous. Chris got an excalibur double genocide on stage, much to the delight of the crowd.

The diablolo that Ben is using is the Taiwanese (right?) Good Feeling diabolo or whatever it's called. IT FREAKIN ROCKS!! I can sum up my excitement for that thing in two words: BEARING HUBS.

It's quite short, I threw it together in about 10 minutes using all the clips I had. There are a few more things but they got cut off when filming so they became unusable. It's not that great of a video but it has a couple of tricks (mainly my combo) that I wanted to get out there.

Here it is, direct download and streaming both, of course ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cINA5FzSgpI / http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5844677193204984105
http://hushy.flaretech.net/juggle/berkeleyxvid.avi

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: Chris, Ben, and Matt at Berkeley 2006
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:23:30 AM »
Even if it was thrown together in 10 minutes it was still good to watch. Ben's diabolo looks pretty cool aswell.
Behind your back is your front.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 01:24:23 PM »
woah! How did he get the diabolo to like hover in one spot without moving?  Nice movie guys.

Josh

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:01:09 PM »
Chris does that trick with exalibur and a Circus, but you can do it much longer with that sweet black diabolo.

maybe there will be a sequel coming soon...Chris has some interesting excalibur stuff, and i have some really stupid tricks. i don't know why i can never think of epic combos but i think of tiny little things...my body is housing the mind of a diaboloing child, i think.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 10:25:27 PM »
Not sure if it was you with the yellow daibolo Matt, but thought that was a nice combo. Good vid all round.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 11:25:43 PM »
woah! How did he get the diabolo to like hover in one spot without moving?
Matt Hall taught that trick at his workshop at the BJC earlier this year.  You get into vertical, do a left stopover and then as you swing it to the right, transfer the left handstick to your right hand and run your left hand down the string to the middle.  Once the string is taut, you twist the handsticks like on a motorbike and it'll stay there.  Not for very long as the string is rubbing on the cups.  A simple trick, but massively effective.

Nice lil video, no need for disclaimers though about the rush job, it's perfectly apparent ;-)

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

windchill

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:02:15 AM »
Hey Matt. I'm just wondering... that Taiwanese diabolo you mention wouldn't happen to be a "Fly Diabolo Feeling Corp. Taiwan" bearing diabolo, would it?

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 07:40:28 AM »
Not sure if it was you with the yellow daibolo Matt, but thought that was a nice combo. Good vid all round.

yeah, that was me. thanks :D

Quote from: Chiok
Nice lil video, no need for disclaimers though about the rush job, it's perfectly apparent ;-)

i knew it was going to be so obvious, so i had to make the warning!!

Hey Matt. I'm just wondering... that Taiwanese diabolo you mention wouldn't happen to be a "Fly Diabolo Feeling Corp. Taiwan" bearing diabolo, would it?

yeah, sounds familiar. i really want to get one (or some..). Ben tells me that they are only $15, but the shipping from taiwan is killer.

windchill

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 04:39:09 PM »
hmm... interesting. I have 3 of those bearing diabolos and yeah, the bearings are nice.. but I find that they like to unscrew themselves a lot which is rather annoying. Also, after they aren't too brand new.. they start to get noisy. But maybe it's me and I'm just not taking great care of them :-X

thewu

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 04:30:12 AM »
yeah that happens to me too. i cant do anything about the noise but i got so sick of them unscrewing that i decided to glue the screws onto the axles.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 05:17:15 AM »
the noise is awesome! that's the best part of having a ball bearing diabolo!!! Ben (where the hell is that guy, by the way?) accelerates that damn thing so fast, it's scary.

i expect them to fall apart, being that they are very cheap (apparently $15 per diabolo?) and just the inherent fact that they are ball bearing.

jake

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 06:48:08 AM »
nice video guys!

im sorry i couldnt make it up there for the fest, i obviously missed out!

but i will for sure be at the Nomadic in Pasadena, so CHRIS! AND MATT! you guys gotta come..i know Ben will be there since it's his juggling club hosting...

hope to see you guys there...

-jake

ps. i just might...possibly...have 3low when nomadic rolls around...it'd be the greatest achievement i my life!  ;)  well..maybe...

cardsharp

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 07:48:37 AM »
wait, those things are 15 each? The only place i saw online was charging like 40 for them...

Could I get more info on that Matt? Vinny (windchill) and I might want to replace one (or more :D)

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 05:39:25 PM »
but i will for sure be at the Nomadic in Pasadena, so CHRIS! AND MATT! you guys gotta come..i know Ben will be there since it's his juggling club hosting...

hmmmmmm how are you getting there? chris and i could use a ride :p maybe i should make a post about this in the community section.

cardsharp: i have no idea where to get them or how. you could contact Ben, he would know, apparently he just bought five white ones!

windchill

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 01:41:17 AM »
I think my uncle orders them directly from their warehouse... but I'm not sure. I was told that they were priced around 20 USD each.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 03:00:54 AM »

hmmmmmm how are you getting there? chris and i could use a ride :p maybe i should make a post about this in the community section.

Yeah, im not sure if I will be making that one. :\. Its too far and getting there is way too difficult for me (I doubt my parents taking me on a 300+ mile trip).

also matt, jake lives at long beach, so its a kinda close fest for him. I dont think he will drive all the way up here and go all the way back :P.

ps: the video is cool, even though its short and put together rather quickly
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

jake

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 06:29:53 AM »
haha id come pick you guys up if you could get a ride back...ask around...

im a hardcore latenight driver...

GOGO CAFFIENE!

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 06:47:41 AM »
too bad i won't have my car back till the end of november...bummer

Purplegirl

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
Loved the combos in that vid - it flowed seamlessly :)

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 04:18:24 AM »
hey guys

nice job w/ the vid

i got my 5 white diabolos and they are sweet thats all i can say. they dont make that much noise and mine havent been comming apart yet even though ive been giving them quite a beating

i can post the contact info for the company if people are interested

im thinking about putting togeather an excaliber vid using them sometime soon

-ben

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal