Author Topic: good stage presence  (Read 6401 times)

thewu

good stage presence
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:11:41 PM »
i've been performing in front of crowds for a while, but i still can't seem to nail down what makes the performance actually interesting. i can flow tricks and combos together, but a buddy of mine says i lack stage presence, like putting more energy into what i'm doing. how do i improve on that, or does it just come naturally?

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
Re: good stage presence
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 04:42:14 PM »
Some people are natural performers, but most of us have to work hard to develop an interesting act.
To practice a lot in front of people is probably the best way to inprove your stageprecence.  Taking some drama classes migth also bee a good idea.
Also remember to take notes after each performance. What went wrong/what was good/ what needs to be changed etc.
It is verry important to feel comfortable on stage, if you are too nervous (or apear to be nervous) people will feel it and be embarrased. Smile a lot and look people in the eyes.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 11:09:22 PM »
confidence. that's what you need. look at the audience, smile. i don't know how to explain it...people say that i apparently have stage presence. i don't quite feel it but if they say so then it works for me :D

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 11:20:02 PM »
Here's what worked for me:
wearing a chicken on my head.

No kidding. See, as a normal person, i'm insecure, easily embarassed and have no self-confidence.

But when I put the chicken on my head I become a "character." and that character is very good at being loud, bold, talkative, etc...
It's just a stage persona, but it lets me be a lot freer.

I'm not suggesting you try the chicken, but maybe some kind of outfit, hat, clown prop, wig, character, whatever.

I think a lot of top jugglers develop a stage persona, even if it doesn't really seem like it. It doesn't have to be silly, your stage persona could be "Mr. Cool" or "world's greatest" or "the underdog."

thewu

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 05:11:13 AM »
thanks for the responses. i just did a mini show in front my class and looked over the video, and i finally decided that it was due to being nervous. i can get the routine almost perfectly by myself, but in front of a crowd it gets messed up a bit (5 drops! :P)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »
I know people who are very reserved and shy, but once they're in a costume, the confidence rockets.  It's a very classic situation of nervousness and recognition.  So perhaps a costume or outfit might help in the stage presence area.  Other things to think about are how you move around the stage, especially if it's quite large.  It's like watching bands that play standing in one spot and going through the motions, it feels like there isn't much emotion.  Using the stage is a difficult skill, especially when you're concentrating on something else but will make you routine look more alive, tricks where you can move like infinite suicide, fans, suns etc make your personality alot larger.

Nerves are a different issue.  I've heard the advice of "Imagine you're about to take a possible game winning penalty kick, and the goalkeeper has broken his leg. It's not that hard really".  If you got the gig, they think you're good enough for the part.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »
Heres a tip i learnt last year, its more of a general practice tip rather than about stage presence though. When doing tricks like knots and long body combos try to move your body around the diabolos, not just the diabolos around you. This is much more appealing visually to most people. And glance at the audience from time to time, dont ignore them. If theres a convenient pause in your performance take a quick glance at the audience and smile. As chiok said move around the stage and think about how nad when you move.
I'm usually more of a quiet, shy person but when people finally manage to force me onto a stage, once the diabolo is spinning and i do my first trick the nerves disappear and i'm a different person. I daresay if i performed more my stage presence would improve. As with all things, practice makes perfect.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:22:33 PM »
I think its good to have a trick where you can present, while you're still doing your trick. In my recent performance (Slipstream Circus- Get a Grip '06) Both my solo one diabolo trick and my solo two diabolo trick were ones I could present (for me simply raise my free arm up), look up up at the audience, smile and get applause for what I was doing. For my one diabolo trick I did infinite suicides (You can see how I would present) and for my two diabolo trick I did two in one hand (Presenting exactly the same way as the infinite suicide). The audience seemed to like the infinite suicide and a few people talked to me (impressed) later about the two in one hand. I was surprised they liked it so much (Once again its a matter of an easy trick looking visually impressive).

Good show though eh Jake? ;)

William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »
I think you should study some of the professionals (Yabe, Tony , William etc) and take notes. They do sequences of tricks, then they do a trick to stop, look at the audience and continue. The looking at the audience part is important. That lets the audience know when to applaud. Use pauses to your advantage.

Steve-O

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »
i do some shows and i also have a stage persona it really does help me be freer when i am on stage.

David - SAS1

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »
My tips would be:
1.  Make eye contact, even if you can't actually see the audience, learn where the different areas are and look up.
2.  Smile, it sounds stupid but there is nothing worse than standing on stage looking bored and sad.
3.  If it is set to music, you can use changes in music to good effect.  When the music changes the tempo of your act changes and probably the style of trick does too.
4.  Take breaks, if your act goes on continuously then there is no chance for the audience to clap and acknowledge the hard work that you have put in.  E.g. if you perform a spectacular 2d stall then hold it so that you can take the applause.
These are probably more general to magic/circus but they worked for my acts.
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

Matt D

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 03:09:30 AM »
Another thing that me and Steve did was set the audience with people that would cheer for us. All you need is one person to clap and the whole audience will follow suit. Once the audience starts cheering your nerves are gone. The most recent thing I performed at was a school pep rally and a few people started cheering at the begining and by the end we had a standing ovation.

jelen

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 11:17:54 AM »
I think all the things said will help you... in my experience of performer and audience I've noticed that jugglers in general always try to give all the importance to the object they are juggling... forgeting the body and sometimes the public. As said before eye contact is really important... but is more important to have stops were de crowd can applause while you're looking at them. If you have a dorp in your show that affects you as a juggler and on scene that should be brought up... I'm not saying to kick your diabolo as you do in practice... nor to run quickly to the diabolo without looking at the crowd and start the rutine right  away... you have to do something there... it depends on what kind of show you're doing and what character you have but something should be done there.

Also as they said I find it easier to perform with a character....when I juggle in front of a crowd without a character I get really nervous and get a lot of drops and without a character I find very difficult to do something with the drops, the only thing I manage to do is to get more nervous.

well these things have helped me when I perform but the real thing that helps is practice, like you practice tricks you have to practice you're stage presence, Every time you act it will get better. Important as someone said before tape yourself and not only to watch the technique part but everything that happened on stage... when did the crowd applause, when did they love... how much stage you used, how much times you looked to the crowd, if the stops where on the right moment... etc

good luck!

polkacrazy

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »
mainly, move around to make it more visually appealing, and make sure you diabolo on stage well below your level, so you can be much more confident that you wont drop it or mess up

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »
thanks for the responses. i just did a mini show in front my class and looked over the video, and i finally decided that it was due to being nervous. i can get the routine almost perfectly by myself, but in front of a crowd it gets messed up a bit (5 drops! :P)
Hey, Yesterday I did my first perfomance ever! But I was soooo nervous! Things that would never go wrong like a finger grind or just a simply toss 360 went wrong.. So yur not the onley one! And yea that best thing for that is don't be nervous but haha I don't know how to achieve that..

I think its good to have a trick where you can present, while you're still doing your trick. In my recent performance (Slipstream Circus- Get a Grip '06) Both my solo one diabolo trick and my solo two diabolo trick were ones I could present (for me simply raise my free arm up), look up up at the audience, smile and get applause for what I was doing. For my one diabolo trick I did infinite suicides (You can see how I would present) and for my two diabolo trick I did two in one hand (Presenting exactly the same way as the infinite suicide). The audience seemed to like the infinite suicide and a few people talked to me (impressed) later about the two in one hand. I was surprised they liked it so much (Once again its a matter of an easy trick looking visually impressive).

Yea yur right! Audience especialy the one that don't know a thing about diabolo love every trick that looks visualy! And why? Because most can't even do it or can onley do a high toss! And when I did it people where even screaming when I did a drop =| but yea simpel tricks that are visualy are great and stopping tricks can help you alot to

To the guy above me Jelen. When I did my first performance yesterday I had that problem with the drops! One time a dropped it and I just run after the diabolo grab it and do the trick again. Dropped it again got the diabolo tossed back and did it again and finished it so it took me 3 try's.. How many try's do you think you should do? 2 at a max? 1 fail try again 2 fail is skip it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal