Author Topic: How do you reduce the megs?  (Read 7704 times)

smoothmove.

How do you reduce the megs?
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
I want to upload a video on YouTube, but it won't accept any videos over 100 megs..how do I reduce the size?
Diabolo's in Ottawa?

Christopher

Re: How do you reduce the megs?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:56:09 PM »
you should put this in the "Technical" section.  Unfortunately, i don't know how to move a topic or reduce the video size.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:57:51 AM »
Depends on what you're outputting it in, and how long the video is.

So let's start with those. What are you editing your video in, and how long is it?

smoothmove.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:08:08 PM »
My video is about 3 minutes, and so far I'm not editing it in anything because I don't know what to edit it in.
Diabolo's in Ottawa?

DiaboloWebb

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »
if your using xp simply use movie maker (yes it's a bolloks program) but it will compress your video, simply export your finishing product, on full quality, then save a copy and export that, this time bringing the aprox. size to the size you want. add me on msn and i will go through it with you if you are stuck, msn is aiden_webb@hotmail.com.
ALIENS ARE COMING TO ABDUCT ALL THE GOOD LOOKING AND SEXY PEOPLE.

YOU WILL BE SAFE; I'M JUST WRITING THIS TO SAY GOODBYE.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 01:36:42 AM »
Ignorance is no excuse for doing the wrong thing!!!

Important reasons to edit:

1. Add music. Most people put really crappy songs though, which leads to the sound being turned off anyway.
2. Scene changes. If it's not a performance video, then you're going to want to put cuts. No one wants to see your drops or the downtime between tricks; everyone can do those on their own free time.
3. Trimming it down. In a similar way to what I just said, trim down your clips. You don't need 12 minutes of you speeding up 2 diabolos, just show a couple seconds before and after the clips. This will also help to keep people's attention. If you have a video of you dicking around for 5 minutes and juggling for 20 seconds, chances are that no one is even going to watch enough of the video to find out.
4. Make it snazzy. Fade ins/outs, video effects, etc, make a video more exciting to watch.

There are tons of programs out there, Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas are the best, but if you have XP then you likely have Movie Maker. It's a crappy program and the files it turns out are awful quality but it can get the job done and it's somewhere to start if you've never edited before (I started out on ol' Dazzle Movie Maker somewhere around 1999-2000). If you're going to use Movie Maker, DON'T USE THE SAME GENERIC CRAP THAT EVERYONE ELSE USES. It just screams "hey everyone! I used the cheapest, worst editing program on the market!" I'm talking about those titles (blue background, text in the middle, scrolly faded text behind it) or the embarrassingly bad transitions (what's wrong with a simple fade?) and more. Be smart, watch other videos, find out what works and what doesn't.

Mattias

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:25:07 AM »
I agree with Matt on most, if not everything.
About the music though, everyone have his or her taste so if you like polka with your juggling, use the polkiest tune you've got and disregard **** you hear about it from 50 cent fanatics or whatever. A thing I find fun in a video is if you use a tune that is not heard by many. This way people can discover music that they like(I discovered Cat Empire from a Wes video), and also can concentrate on the music as well as the juggling making it more interesting. I for one will live by this hardcore-style(:P), and try to use music that only my friends have produced and that has only been heard by a few hundreds. This makes a video more rare than if you would use, say Freestyler or anything of the sort. Good luck with your video, just follow Matts advice, although do not be afraid of using music that you like, and you'll be okey!
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

DiaboloWebb

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 09:13:40 PM »
i use cyberlink powerdirector 5, it's an awsome program although you have to pay extra for some bits.
ALIENS ARE COMING TO ABDUCT ALL THE GOOD LOOKING AND SEXY PEOPLE.

YOU WILL BE SAFE; I'M JUST WRITING THIS TO SAY GOODBYE.

smoothmove.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 01:59:32 PM »
Yeah, but I filmed it on my dad's camera, not picture camera, and whenever I try to import it into movie maker it doesn't recognize the file..
Diabolo's in Ottawa?

Rusty

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 02:00:51 PM »
What file format is it? Or is it a file you want to transfer from a camcorder?
You can try VirtualDub

TimEllis

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 12:34:23 AM »
I use iMovie.  I have two major options for exporting movies.  Full quality = ridiculous file size.  Email quality = smaller movie size than i want.

Does anybody use iMovie and could help me out customizing some stuff here?
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

martijn

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
Go for the uncompressed option (Full quality), and then compress it to whatever size and quality you like. I use Quicktime Pro for H.264 (.mp4) compression.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »
Normally when I try to import footage from a DV-camera to Windows Movie Maker, the option in WMM to import a file will normally find the footage you want by scrolling through a preview screen and then you click record on the computer to capture the footage and it normally saves it as .avi files I think.  I'm really not very good with video editing and don't do it much at all.

Windows movie maker may be pants for editing and such (does fine for the odd thing here and there, we don't all feel like being fancy) but it can make some really small files that are still watchable even if the quality isn't top-notch fantastic (you can compress it down to almost 1Mb per minute).

If you are trying to use WMM, see if the Help topics can help you with getting the footage from camera to computer.  I imagine it's not difficult as most cameras will import over the firewire cable as .avi.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

martijn

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 09:27:09 PM »
If I recall correctly, iMovie is for Apple, what WMM is for Microsoft, only much nicer :P

But yeah, to capture video from your camera to your computer (use the DV-AVI option) WMM does the job nicely. To compress or edit however... WMM SUCKS BIG TIME!

Just wanted to make that clear :)

TimEllis

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 12:28:25 AM »
So you have Quicktime Pro?  The pay version of the software?  Or is that available in regular Quicktime?

Tim Ellis

martijn

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:30:39 AM »
Ehmm, no I think you need to use Pro for that. But that's no problem, now is it?

TimEllis

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 02:13:39 PM »
OK I got QT Pro, and am trying to compress a full quality video I made.

I go to expert settings, select movie to MP-4
In Advanced, I choose format as H.264, size as 640x480 VGA

When I convert it, I keep size now, but lose a ton of the quality.  Is there a setting I'm missing?

Tim Ellis

martijn

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
Yeah, the bitrate is probably way too low then. You need something between 600 and 1200 I'd say, depending on how much you want to resize your video.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal