Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 5709 times)

Beni

A few questions
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:53:28 AM »
Hi this is my first post on this forum (though I go on this site constantly) so I'll introduce myself a bit.  :)

I have diabolo'd for about 3 months and can only do 1d. I have two mister babache diabolos that I got in Switzerland but I don't know what type they are (they are quite small, smaller than the rubberking). I have Henry's white carbon fibre sticks and the Henry's white string that comes with them. I'm getting two finesses soon (Christmas  ;D). I've lurked this forum and have a few questions that I can't find the answer to. Some of these are stupid, so forgive me ;).

Is the Henry's green diabolo string as good as the yellow?

Do MB finger axels = less spin?

When you restring a diabolo, is there a good way to measure the length of string in realation to your height? (When doing suicides the sticks sometimes hit the floor, and genocides are impossible)

When I Japanese C-whip, I sometimes end up in a left backside. How do you aim the loop? (this question isn't as important, I am getting better at the whips :))

That's all, I think, also thanks Sean for making this site it's a real help and inspiration.

jacky

Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 01:45:32 PM »
firstly..welcome to diabolo.ca
well for the string length is around on the floor to your neck and i think the colour of the string is not the problem it just old or new string you used.(whip) you have to point one of the stick in the middle of the diabolo and whip it,(suicides)when u throw the stick it's must be straight and does not go forward or backward(genocides)it take some time to learn but i know short handsticks are more easy to do it then long handsticks.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:33:34 AM »
Hi this is my first post on this forum ...
Welcome! Glad you decided to post!

Is the Henry's green diabolo string as good as the yellow?
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=12 is a good reference for this.
One may not be 'better' than the other, but yes, many people find them different. Yellow seems to be the slickest of them all.

Do MB finger axels = less spin?
Not noticeably so. They do take away a bit from the stability of the diabolos though. They also make some 2d and 3d corrections more difficult.

When you restring a diabolo, is there a good way to measure the length of string in realation to your height?
Most people choose a length between floor to nipple height and floor to shoulder height. Some a bit higher. There's no right or wrong length. Best thing is to experiment until you find something you like and then line up your new string against your old string.

When I Japanese C-whip, I sometimes end up in a left backside. How do you aim the loop?
The orientation of your hands can help. Practice and experimentation are the best solution.

...thanks Sean for making this site it's a real help and inspiration.
Thanks! You're welcome. Glad you find it useful!

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:54:36 AM »
Most people choose a length between floor to nipple height and floor to shoulder height.

Thats about right. But YoHo recommends floor to chin height.

*Just kidding. I love my YoHo's.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:08:55 AM »
Thats about right. But YoHo recommends floor to chin height.

Ryo Yabe as well.  Me too! ;D

Beni

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »
Thanks guys! :)

I asked about the string length because when I do infinite suicides or attempt genocides the sticks tend to smack against the floor and I don't know how much damage they can take :-\.

When I next restring I will go shorter and see what happens.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:43:15 PM »
Ryo Yabe as well...
Well yes, but Ryo isn't exactly the tallest diabolist around either. ;)

Beni

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »
I looked on firetoys and I think my diabolos are MB millenium ones...

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 07:36:45 AM »
Well yes, but Ryo isn't exactly the tallest diabolist around either. ;)

Lol I think Christopher means floor to your own sholder, not Ryo's  ;D

"Wheres Ryo gone?! I need to measure from the floor to his shoulder so I can restring my sticks."  :P
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

seán_

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:28:35 AM »
If Ryo went for tit high like a lot of people he wouldnt have a lot of room for 3 diabolos.
For years standard advice given was floor to chin as if any other length was wrong. In reality finding your own preferred length is the way to go, a lot of people will go through stages of different lengths, particularly if a certain trick becomes easier.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »
Lol I think Christopher means floor to your own sholder, not Ryo's  ;D

"Wheres Ryo gone?! I need to measure from the floor to his shoulder so I can restring my sticks."  :P

I meant floor to chin.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »
I meant floor to chin.

Oops! Me too! Sorry  :P

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 04:35:59 PM »
Experiment with different string lengths as the two Sean's suggested and don't forget that you don't have to stick with it forever. At the minute my sring is up to my lips because I'm trying to learn 3D. ::)
Behind your back is your front.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal