Author Topic: Basics I could not be bothered with  (Read 15951 times)

Chiok

• Donator
Basics I could not be bothered with
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:19:06 PM »
I was just wondering, after a session today, what tricks have people never bothered to learn in their progression through diabolo-dom?

Things I could have learnt, but never did:
Wrapped mini-genocides
2D left sun
2 high
Monorail stuff, generally things around the body.

Have other people skipped over some "basic" tricks and not realised it to only come back to it later and find it difficult?  Just a point of interest...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

Re: Basics I could not be bothered with
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:32:56 PM »
Good to have a definite topic for these thoughts Chiok. I used to have quite some basic moves I skipped, but it seems that I've caught up with them now.

EDIT: good one Fredo! I still can't do the between the legs sun properly. EDIT2: oh, and I still suck at 2 diabolos around the leg :P EDIT3: I just found another one, I can't do a proper Fan 360 (turning right).

fredo

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:46:12 PM »
I'd say 1d between the leg suns :D

Squiggle

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:03:34 PM »
Probably 2d arm/leg orbits only learning them now.

And 1d back orbits and 1d neck combo's

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:12:28 PM »
Good to have a definite topic for these thoughts Chiok. I used to have quite some basic moves I skipped, but it seems that I've caught up with them now.

EDIT: good one Fredo! I still can't do the between the legs sun properly.

sometimes i can't do it too because it keeps on hitting my back when it goes through my legs.  i've missed all the 2d suicides (except for sprinkler suicide) because my dad doesn't let me do it at my home cause he says it's dangerous.  i still can't do figure 8 around both legs (eric's one) and a proper mini gen.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 12:53:22 AM »
i cant do that stupid neck bounce trick at all... but like every little kid who can only do 1 trick, can do that one  :P

Rîkû

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 08:36:52 AM »
I´ve skipped 2d right sun, trying to get that now  ;D

fredo

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 11:44:26 AM »
Probably 2d arm/leg orbits only learning them now.
Same here! Still can't do 2d arm sats for longer than 5 cycles  ;D

Quote from: Norbi
i cant do that stupid neck bounce trick at all... but like every little kid who can only do 1 trick, can do that one :P
I HATE THIS TRICK!!! It's just so stupid! Good man, norbi!

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »
monorails, and every other 1d stuff that has something to do with body combos

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 02:04:51 PM »
I´ve skipped 2d right sun, trying to get that now  ;D
i manage to get left backwrap sprinkler more often than getting a 2d right sun

Crazy_Clown

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 02:11:22 PM »
I'm very sorry, i tried to find something about it but couldn't really, most video links are broken... Can anyone tell me what monorail is or give me a link to a video in which they do it?

Thanks!
|)><(|

Martijn

CASERocks

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 07:01:57 PM »
I used to avoid arm tricks such as El Fonce and Monorail because they were so painful to execute. Rope burns can really make a trick less desirable. I am getting better at arm tricks though.
Also all those silly magic knots and suicides on diabolotricks.com. My friend, who picked up the diabolo like 2 weeks ago, likes to do a "Dot the I" suicide, a trick I had never learned. At Juggling Club everyone was watching him do a Dot the I suicide while I was right there doing 2D suns. *sigh*

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 07:08:57 PM »
2D left sun,
Things around the body,
Turning while doing a fan.

Those are the couple that I never bothered to learn although should have. I seem to have some kind of mental block that stops me from doing suns with 2D and turning with a fan. I never learned many long, flowy body combos because I prefer suicide stuff.-Although I wish I had now.
Behind your back is your front.

tommygrhcp

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »
someone taught me a forced sun the other day! haha, its so wierd, tricks u just miss out.... i go to a juggling club and there's loads of beginner diaboloers there. They teach me new tricks every week! Its such a good resource. also learnt a crazy trick off them called a propeller, it looks really funky for a basic 1d trick ;)

Christopher

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 04:47:36 AM »
Monorail: http://diabolotricks.com/O-extras.htm#monorail
Neck bounce: http://diabolotricks.com/Extras.htm#headhop

i didn't know that there was a animation of the monorail on diabolotricks but i watched a video on circusplanet till a knew how to do it.  the first time i saw it was at diarhythm, and i had no idea what was he doing.  i thought it was super fast arm orbits.

Martijn

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »
Haha yeah, usually a real person doing the trick is easier to understand then an animation.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 02:27:13 PM »
I never learnt between legs sun either. Whenever i tred it i just got confused and gave up. I never learnt figure 8 between the arms which seems basic but i find it really difficult. Dunno if this counts as basic but i still haven't got the hang of swinging fans and i've been try for like years. I never really wanted to learn it that much so i didn't bother with it. I never really bothered with improvised body combo's until recently. And i never understood what a coffee grinder was or why it has such a stupid name. Oh, and i've never successfully completed the trick smoking joe, if anyone remembers that old trick.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

seán_

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »
ironically the only way I seem to be able to do a between legs sun (sketchy) is from a monorail, it flows well for me :).
Arm orbits with 2 are a bogey trick of mine but i can/have done them. Basically i think i have done most basic tricks as i made the effort to try all i could find, a weakness might be that I have abandoned a lot of them, it might be time for another run through diabolotricks.com again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal