Author Topic: Just got your first diabolo? Wondering where to begin?  (Read 11770 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Just got your first diabolo? Wondering where to begin?
« on: November 27, 2006, 05:44:43 PM »
Just got your first diabolo? Wondering where to begin?

The following threads may be of some use:

Beginning...
How to add speed (whips wrapped orbits etc)
How fast should I spin a diabolo?
The next step? Advancing after first tricks
Trick and video archive sticky

Here are some selected responses to questions such as: What should I learn first? Where can I find new tricks?

getting it going, corrections, high throws, orbits, stopovers, grinds, then move onto whip catches and magic knots, by this point you will begin to understand how diabolotricks work.

Ususal advice is diabolotricks. you might want to try the babache book or videos (diabology is more advanced but get it anyway)

There is a dvd from Germany by Kid Yo that might be right up your street.

Best advice is to get somebody else to learn with, they'll help you a lot. try the club listings at www.jugglingdb.com

(if you look up the forum you'll notice a sticky called 'tricks and videos' in it there are links to 3 or 4 beginners posts that might be usefull.

Also check out www.thediabolo.com

Good luck

Your best bet is to work on
a) getting the diabolo spinning and accellerating it in several ways.
b) working on simple confidence and touch building things like throws and orbits
c) working your way through the moves on http://diabolotricks.com/
check out also the beginners threads (links to be found in the trick sticky)
good luck.

the tricks on diabolotricks.com aren't too hard, you just need a little more practice ;) they were hard for me but once i mastered them i thought i was pretty cool (the coffee grinder!!).

the best advice is to find a friend (preferably someone better than you) to show you things. alternatively, pick up an instructional DVD like Sean_ said. Diabology is amazing, and if you plan to diabolo for any amount of time, get it, even though it might seem expensive. the instructional section will last you a LONG time (not many people have mastered every trick on that dvd) and the freestyle section will blow your mind.

I started out with www.diabolotricks.com and then went on to Diabology.

I recommend starting with suns and magic knots. They are easy to learn and they help you to build up some confidence.

Then when you learn something, write it in the "I Just Learnt To" thread. It feels really good.

Rock On!

some good beginner tricks to try would be suns - half sun or full sun these scared me at first but after a few weeks youll get alot better and youll find this trick very easy.

Trapeze's are a good beginner trick also, they are quite easy to get a hing of after a few days. orbits are also not to hard to learn and before long youll be doing over the leg orbits.

Can i recommend the donald grant books, there are 5 in total i think, each one concentrating on different elemenst, e.g "Stick Grinds and Suicides" "Baffling Body moves and crazy Cradles" they were my source of tricks for a very long time when i started, and they are just wicked! You should be able to get them from butterfingers www.butterfingers.co.uk

Hope it helps!

also, see if there is a local juggling club to you - http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/ is a good place to start if you're not sure - that's a good way to not only meet some diabolists to help you, but also a chance to maybe try out a few different kinds of diabolo too, from people with different styles.

...this forum is pretty big, with lots of information on it.  Try searching through old posts a bit, they are very useful (for questions about diabolo gear, check the Equipment sticky.

I dislike books in general, but I'll agree that having one of the diabolo books (any of Donald Grant's or Diabolo A-Z) is very useful for when you're not at a computer.  Some people aren't able to read what they need to online, remember it, then go and play.

Easiest thing, find others that can diabolo.  They love to show off and help you learn a thing or two ;-)  Oh and I'd suggest keeping the string you get with the sticks when you start out.  It's a "grippier" string if you can imagine that and will make starting it spinning alot easier.

If you have something you'd like to add to this sticky, please send it to a moderator.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal