Author Topic: Handsticks - Pros and Cons  (Read 43084 times)

karl e dangerous

Re: Handsticks - Pros and Cons
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
i use carbons when im just practicing in general but if im focusing on a new trick  i use wooden handi stcks which ive shortend drastically and drilld down the barrel (if thats wat you call it) so the string goes down the top and out the side the knot then goes in the hole and is hidden way better
sorry for my bad grammer

willzB

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2008, 08:53:24 PM »
Hi, ive just about learnt tomicides and im tryin to learn genoicdes, my dad made my diablo sticks because he's a mechanic, there brilliant for most tricks but unfortunantly much to heavy for suicides, so i need to get some sticks which will be suitable for suicides, any good ideas?

jordak

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2008, 07:01:52 AM »
has anybody tried these out?http://www.higginsbrothers.com/buyjive.htm

they look to me like a cheap alternative to fiberglass or carbon sticks. They don't have any grips on them, but that's not really such a big deal to me personally.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Aaron Z

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »
has anybody tried these out?http://www.higginsbrothers.com/buyjive.htm

they look to me like a cheap alternative to fiberglass or carbon sticks. They don't have any grips on them, but that's not really such a big deal to me personally.

I wouldn't say an alternative to Fiberglass or Carbons, but more of a pretty alternative to wood. Same kind of behavior can be expected from them, although some variations are shorter/longer lighter/heavier.

jordak

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »
I wouldn't say an alternative to Fiberglass or Carbons, but more of a pretty alternative to wood. Same kind of behavior can be expected from them, although some variations are shorter/longer lighter/heavier.
A pretty alternative to wood would most likely be painted wood or something. These are said to flex a little.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Myke

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »
I use an MB Finesse and a Sundia Fly both pretty equally, and use my henry's alu for both, really. I love the length, love the weight (lighter would make stick releases harder i think), but i haven't ever played with anything else...I wanna try carbon, but i don't know if they let you do that at the shop....
Thank you, thank you.

lollige

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »
Hello all,
I have got a bit of a problem :p, I want to buy new sticks but I don't know which ones

I have browsed trough a lot of threads here but I can not find the things I want to know.

I have henrys allus now and I am pretty happy with them. But they are getting old, and also I want to have a second pair ready when I create a big knot or so during an act or whatever.
What I really hate is that the tips get dented if you play on concrete. If any replacement could make sure I can play on concrete as much as I want it would be great :p

Things that come to my mind:
The diamond sticks. I don't hear much of them anymore lately but I guess you can still order them? I heard the tips can break off, how much does this happen and does everyone still think that they are as good as people thought in the beginning?

The sundia allu's: Whats the difference? Even the length is the same? Anyone with experiences?

Sundia short carbon: They have some nice colors :D, but being stylish is not important for me now. Do they differ from henrys carbon? (which I hate, both short and long, but long especially). Are they string wasters?
Also the handles seem a bit short on the pictures, but that could be just me too.

At last the Taibolo carbons. With just 3 cm longer than the other sticks, which is maybe just perfect (or maybe not?)
furthermore same questions as about the sundia carbon.

Any sticks I forgot to mention? I don't know much about the mb sticks btw. Do they have anything compareable with the ones named above, at good quality?

Please give me as much information on the sticks and your experiences as you can :)
Daniel

PS
Just bought 2 taibolos (thanks Marijn), they are great :D

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
hello hello.

Give some of Nev's sticks a shot, from what Ive seen/played they are all  light and well made.

however most people seem to have shifted to Mr b extreme's, I had a pair for a while but when i got my crystals they instantly became my stick of choice.

pros

1] they look great
2] they do bend like alli's but you can bend them back quite successfully [unlike alli's which bannana with time]
3] they give a really nice smooth feel to your diabolo
4] No string wasteage

Cons

1] grip slides down [you can replace with devilistick handstick grip]
2] their used to be reliability problems with ends breaking Ive never encountered a problem with mine.
3] might be due to my knot's  but the knot sometimes gets stuck in the end of the removeable tip, not a big deal i just use a pin.

hope that helps

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2008, 03:08:44 AM »
Good summary Mark.

The Sundia aluminums are a bit shorter than Henrys. Most noticeably, the handles are a fair bit shorter. Nice sticks though.

For years I've always ended up back at my Xtremes. Modified 1st generation though. The wider end piece drives me nuts on the 3rd generation. You also need to tape up the silicon grips to keep them on and wrap plastic bags around the thread to keep the ends from unscrewing. In mine I've replaced the plastic ends with home made aluminum ones - the way they should be made if you ask me. I like their swing weight and the feel of the silicon.

I don't think you're going to get away from the ends on concrete problem. Just be careful over concrete or be willing to sand/polish them down occasionally. I've had the same issue with the diamond handstick material. Those are nice sticks if you like lots of weight behind your sticks. Higher swing weight than even the Xtremes.

lollige

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »
Thanks, both of you for your replies :)

They sound all great!

But I guess I am going for the diamonds. I can not get them another way than by order, and I have been thinking about them for over a year now, so I will have to buy them someday anyway. Next weekend I am going to a juggling weekend, and I guess a vendor should sell the MB extremes, so I can try those out there, and ill wait with the sundia untill I want to order something there anyway or I wait to EJC09 :) (if I can be there..., its way to early!)

Thanks again for your replies :)
Daniel

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »
I'm getting a pair of long black sundia carbon since they appear to be the same specs at least length as henry's short and my friend has a few more pairs than he needs and got a nice discounted price lol
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

ep2992

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »
A problem with my henry's carbon sticks is that string got stuck inside the stick and now I cant get it out or put new string through.
Any solutions?

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=5518.0

this should help you out, the search is a wonderful tool :-D
can't believe its not butter

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
Hi, I have the light sticks mr.Babache. But they are to heavy witch makes suicides impossible! And now I'm looking for light sticks that play just like normal sticks.

Anyone has a idea for me?  :)

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
olobaids sticks

sadOreo

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2009, 02:20:31 AM »
do short fiberglass sticks get permanently bent after a while?
how long if so?

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »
okay aluminum sticks are good but i like the carbon/fiberglass gribs better and you can do more with them
Nobody else like me

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »
Thats not strictly true now is it. You can do anything with any stick just some make certain tricks easier. All preferance.

With the exception of 'hugo' on certain sticks, but if you thought long and hard I'm sure you could find some way around that as well.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
how long if so?
The Fibreglass sticks from Henrys are their bendy variety, they flex much more than the Carbon Fibre.  I've heard of many people cracking the laminates of their carbon sticks and the stick just snapping over time.  I imagine that given enough force, a fibreglass stick will also delaminate and crack and over time just snap.  There's no fixing it, but I've not heard of anyone breaking a fibreglass stick.  Might have something to do with people not really liking them in the first place because they're so bendy.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »
how long if so?
In my experience after 478 days they always get permanently bent into the shape of the Virgin Mary. Then I sell them on Ebay and fund this site.

In all seriousness, my experience with fiberglass ski poles is that they splinter and break, not bend. I've never broke my set of fiberglass sticks... although I gave them away a few years ago because I wasn't using them. They are quite bendy.

You've asked a lot about carbon/fiberglass/aluminum. The biggest difference is in weight. Less weight isn't necessarily better, just different. I much prefer the added swing weight of aluminum sticks, others prefer the opposite. And aluminum sticks won't break on you, but they will get bent all the time. Then it's just a matter of bending them back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal