Author Topic: The life-cycle of a Forum  (Read 26341 times)

Graham

Re: The life-cycle of a Forum
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
Brilliant post Sean - it's great to see a forum where these sorts of discussions are really acted upon. In my experience, that doesn't happen very often.

Perhaps it would be an idea to publish an email newsletter summarising the week's article(s) and videos and linking to their forum threads

Phil189

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »
I have been watching this post and am very happy to see such a topic has been created as we can all discuse the worrys about this forum "dieing" altho i certinly dont believe this is happening. i have had the pleasure to be moderators of a number of forums and also set up and ran two different forums, and have seen forums going quiet, old members not posting for a while, and "noobs"(sorry to give them that name but its true) taking over and posting crap. this all happens people, al forums has these problems, but its the forum community of loyal posters who usaly come through for the greater good. all forums have down times and good times but i think its the old members who have been here a while who need to make sure the forum stays alive by posting regular topics and interesting ones to keep the forum alive.

I also note that some people are looking for options that arent avalable in this forum software, has any of the mods or sean ever considered getting vbulletin, ive used this software on a forum i own and it is one of the some comprehensive forum sooftware packages i have ever used and by far the one with the most mods this may help to improve the forum. i do understand the amount of work there is in moving to another forum software but this is the "bees knees" its not that expensive about 80 dollers, or 50 pounds, im sure there would be people willing to contribruite towards this cost, me included.

there was people talking about the old board and how it was easier, this was because it was basic now that everything is more organised i find it easier to find things and i beleive that it is better the way it is now. i think sean has the right ideas about how to improve the site, and i think it would be a good idea if people help and add their suggestions on how to improve this forum aslo.

Heres another way to both help the forum and to add to the resources wthin the diabolo community. I have recently set up deadicated diabolo video website. this website includes code to each video and if the forum supports html code thevideos could be embeded on the forum, this would be alot less hassel and very useful for alot of users. i will lunch the diabolo video website this evening and let everyone know about its uses and the address.
thanks philip
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 03:53:16 PM »
First of all, I'm really glad this issue is being broad up and people are willing to make things better. I guess I am one of the people who doesn't post much anymore because of all the developments mentioned before. The impulsive posts of new and often young posters, uninteresting topics being opened and other people not posting either. I visit the forum every day and I do read most of the posts, but sometimes I'm just sick of it and hit the "mark all topics read" button. I mainly watch new videos.

A lot of very good things have been said in this topic. I never noticed the "report to moderator" button, so thanks for mentioning that. I partly agree with Matt that kids just have to grow up to learn what they can and cannot do on forums. However, it isn't a reason to sit back and watch the forum being taken over. I think most of the "eliminating the bad" options have been covered. Sean's post was really good and constructive.

I'm very enthusiastic about the following things:

-some sort of series of articles (interviews, equipment reviews, festival reviews, written tutorials, explanations of trick theories, practice routines, preparing for performances etc.)

-Arjan at one point had the idea of having a diabolo magazine grow out of the forum. This may be a bit beyond us at this point, but an electronic newsletter in PDF format every 2 months or even just a small group of people organizing people to regularly write articles as described above could work.

I'd love to write a festival review some time! And I also would like to read other people's reviews. It would be nice to see how different people have experienced the same festival in different ways. It would add something personal to the forum. And anyone who isn't interested can always just not read the reviews. I definitely think it'll be appealing to the "veterans" of the forum. I often don't see how I can contribute to a topic because someone else has already posted what I wanted to say. I don't want to call myself a veteran, but if these series of articles will become a new section of the forum, it will surely motivate me to contribute. Same for the electronic newsletter idea.

-collaborative work? Public video tennis among a small group of diaboloists? Someone proposes an interesting starting move and people post as interesting endings as they can?

This one is also a good one! Video tennis is a nice and relatively easy way to start being creative and to improve your skills. I'd love to join in and also to watch video tennis between other diaboloists. I'd suggest to have video tennis in small groups (about 3 or 4 people?) and to mix beginners and more advanced diaboloists. It can produce interesting combinations. And again, it adds something personal to the forum, something interactive.

I'm now also thinking of the discussion we had when the collaboration video was being made. People being "scared" to contribute, thinking their tricks weren't good enough or something. I'm presuming there will be another diabolo.ca collaboration video in the future, and something like video tennis throughout the year will probably encourage new members.

Thumbs up everyone in this topic!

Ceri-Anne

Tom Derrick

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 04:39:24 PM »
Unfortunately no such automatic option or mod to accomplish this exists for SMF right now. It could be achieved manually but I'm not sure it's worth that effort.

Fair enough. I'm not at all technical, so I don't understand how these thing are put in place on particular forum codes (or software, or whatever). The two sites that I go on that implement these things are DDR:UK and Benamistyle, but I'm not sure what code they use.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »
Hey Tom, I don't want to demean your intelligence buddy, so don't take this the wrong way. But when you go to Bemanistyle forums, the title of the page is "Bemanistyle [dot] com Forums - Powered By vBulletin" ;)

I suggested vB when we first moved to SMF; I think it's still possible to change it. Other people have mentioned it, so it might be viable, and it does have a lot of features that I like and use on a regular basis as an admin for Emuforums. I don't want to increase the workload for Sean (especially when he's on vacation!!) but perhaps if the demand/need to improve to vB proves enough, we could set up a Paypal account to pay for it, and mail Sean lots of thank-you notes. I feel pretty guilty asking for a new forum software when Sean, Tijn, et al put so much work into making our SMF run board what it is.

Tom Derrick

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »

Hey Tom, I don't want to demean your intelligence buddy, so don't take this the wrong way. But when you go to Bemanistyle forums, the title of the page is "Bemanistyle [dot] com Forums - Powered By vBulletin" ;)

I think my intelligence is fine, but it's my knowledge and observation skills that aren't quite up to scratch :). I can't say that I actually knew what vBulletin meant, along with the PHPBB and SMF things. I do now.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2007, 04:04:13 AM »
I think the 13+ Age limit is a good idea, I remember in my first year of this forum all the stupid and useless posts I made which were just immature. Sean, I think that the PDF format newsletter is a brilliant idea. I for one would love to contribute to that in any way I could. And to whoever thinks that the forum was dying, I totally disagree. Look how far it has come since it began! The only reason anyone thinks its dying is because of some younger kids who spammed the board with useless posts. That can be fixed. If the moderators spent some time deleting the locked threads it would be just fine. And the spam would slow down (hopefully stop) with the age limit.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2007, 01:03:15 PM »
very good ideas!
concentrate on positive things too!

i think a newsletter would be great as a kind of magazine...
i dont have to come by email, it could be a section of the d.ca homepage...
it could point out selected content of the forum, good posts, videos and pics!

my idea is: make a good picture section(like the diaboloart topic but less comments more pics), pictures are instanly availible(and are much less work to produce and handle) and can make d.ca more colorful!
creativity and style should come first but any good pics of diabolocontent can be chosen... look in a skateboardmagazine to know what im thinking about
the best pics will be honored by adding them to a gallery! a hall of fame would be nice too...
there could be a extra introduction page for honored members(there are some gems in the introduce yourself topic) with facs about them. of course locked to post for those who are not in :P

the other thing is to widen the content for the votw -> no longer tricks only, complete diabolovideos also - dont know if both seperated or together in one category?

if diabolo.ca needs help, im surly not the right one for a moderators job. but i am very into graphics(thats my main job) so i could help with this (section-logos, graphics for the newsletter or the mag...)
if anything has to be done, tell me!

dont know if i am with the minimum age but its up to you! ::)
hooray for collaborations! ;D

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

martijn

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2007, 03:10:28 PM »
the other thing is to widen the content for the votw -> no longer tricks only, complete diabolovideos also - dont know if both seperated or together in one category?

The idea behind a Trick/Video of the Week is that it shows a new, origial, creative trick once a week, so every member has something to look forward to and to be inspired with. People don't wanna see the same stuff over and over again, so I'm not really in for longer videos for the VotW, because even if a long video would consist of a dozen new tricks, I'd rather have the tricks as seperate VotWs :) One trick is enough, as long as it's interesting ;)

And I really like the photo gallery idea Peter! We've been trying out a new Gallery feature, so maybe you'll see it coming up sooner or later. Yay for new ideas!

Phil189

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
i think the one about the news letter is a good one, i think it could be produced every month the first month would be the hardest as it would be the month when we make the format, layout and logos work. once the first month of a news letter if done i can mostly be reproduced quite easily following the same layout. i would be very interested in helping with this, any help needed let me know. the news letter could include  featrued tricks, news, photos, things to look out for, best VOTW of the month, and other such fun items.

a good photo gallery is a good idea, it would open up something different altho this is something i have incuded in diabolozone which has opened recently.

there could also be a compentition every month not for alot something basic like diabolo string that even we could all throw a pound or two in for, ive seen alot of different forums doing competions amoung the communitys and it seems to help to give the community another domension. say if we had one for a certin trick preformed in a video and everyone posted the one trick and people got the vote on the best. smething like that might help. can anyone else think of anything?
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »
if there will be a gallery, we should start as soon as possible to get some content!
a appeal in the news with an emailadress where to send pics or something like that...

the news section we have is a bit lame, since there are more news than just one, at least it should be able to handle more than a single link!
upcoming conventions, current votw, things like diabolozone, the pic of the week, featured topics,reminders for things like this frappmapthingy(hope you know what i mean) which would reduce the amount of "is there any diabolist in ..."topics! im sure there are many things to handle with the news!

btw: in the old forum the "hot-topics" were at 100 posts, now 35 are enough!
many topics are titled hottopic but are not so hot. i think this makes this function a bit useless...

enoug criticism ;) keep up the good work!

seán_

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2007, 11:17:08 PM »

The idea behind a Trick/Video of the Week is that it shows a new, origial, creative trick once a week,....

actually
original, creative, rarely seen, or just plain hard

subtley different

nev

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »
Firstly - hats off to Norbi for bringing this discussion to the table, its been long overdue.

I'm gonna stick with the problem of clutter and repetitive posts as I see this as the important issue rather than discuss the ideas on how to improve the forum generally.
I think the mod Sean is installing to PM new members is a very important step, letting noobs know (politely) what is expected of them in order to constructively contribute rather that clutter up the forum with meaningless threads, and what is unacceptable (& how this will be dealt with through moderation) - I would like to see this also include a link to the Tricks & Video Archive.  This was the most important resource for me when I first joined and was eager to learn - a simple look through this one page would answer most of questions noobs are staring new threads about (particularly personal requests about tricks they are wanting help with).  I would also like to see this link prominently on the front page.

I personally think that the "incubation period" idea Tom brought up would of been very beneficial (if it could have been implemented automatically in SMF - shame) - a week or so is not long to wait to post & in the meantime noobs would have no other option but to SEARCH for the answers they are looking for - which once they find how easy this is to do, they will be less inclined to be lazy and just ask.  I don't go along with the idea that this would mean missing out on new vids etc as anyone with anything meaningfull and constructive to say would surely wait a week to add their input.

Just the veiws of someone who doesnt spend nearly as much time on the forum as he used to  :(
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

martijn

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »
original, creative, rarely seen, or just plain hard

Yes, that's Sean definiton of this forum's VotW, but my post was about my idea of what the content of a Trick of the Week should be. Replace the words, and my post would still make sense, so it ain't no big difference.

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »
hmm, when i try to quote, a error on the site appears in the explorerstatusbar???!!

i think nev is right, with pointing out the tricks and video archive. dont kno if the front page is the right place, because i dont visit it very often, i always go direct to the forum... but thats what i meant with expanding the news section - to have links to the most useful resources, where you just cant miss it...
btw: big thanks nev, for your tips on the fans and sfan variations - they were most useful!

and the inc.period is no bad thing- one week is really not very long,and im sure in 99.9% the desired info can be found very quickly just by research!

somewhere above, i mentioned a little exam on the posting etiquette when signin up - if its not workable than there should be at least a must read within the sign-up procedure.

Tijn:
once again about the votw. i think the difference is bigger than you say - its very hard to come up with a new trick every week even for over 1000 members...
but you are right to keep the standard up high, i think this is very important to keep the people interested!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »
Blimey, I've not been keeping up, but after coming back to five pages of new threads, I'm inclined to put my points and ideas in as well because alot of those new posts didn't really warrent me spending a hour of my precious revision time into...

Anyway, I was wondering about setting up a system which allows a certain number of posts to be made per day or week depending on how many had been posted before, for example:
Newly signed up - can only post once a day (or something like that)
10-20 posts - can post say 3 times a day
50+ posts - unlimited posting

The idea behind this is that once people get the hang of thinking about what they want to post since they only have one shot at it, then the following posts would also be of sensible quality until, at the 50 post mark, it should be natural for people to make proper, well-thought out posts and thus can post as much as they like.

It's probably not an automatable process now, and it'd be kinda mod intensive.  But I can think it being a good idea, I think there are many qualified individuals who can help out though.  Not just diabolo masters here.

And I love the ideas that Sean posted for future work, that would be phenomenal.  I've been trying to get a small exercise up and running but have been bogged down tremendously over the past month or so and will be for the next month which annoys me as I've not been able to keep up to tabs for quite some time.

Continue the good work gentlemen,
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Christopher

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »
maybe 5 posts per day would be better, or else they would have to wait forever till someone answers their questions.

Beni

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »
How much you post doesn't say anything about how mature/experienced you are. I think this idea will even further promote the whole post count thing (the bigger the post count, the cooler you are) which is the reason why some of these guys post. And what about people who only post occasionally but are respected - e.g. people from the MFP? I really like the video tennis idea, sounds really fun!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »
Anyway, I was wondering about setting up a system which allows a certain number of posts to be made per day or week...

Absolutely, I agree. We have discussed this for some time among the moderators. Unfortunately there is currently no option and no mod written that would allow this with SMF (but many people have requested it and perhaps it will be written some day). Not sure if it is available with other software...

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »
Just recently I've noticed a load of people bitching at eachother in the forum. I just can't understand why people are starting to take the happy community atmosphere away. For example I saw the funny side to Martijn's "ROFLWAFFLECOPTER" maybe other people didn't, but there was no need to start flaming each other. To put it bluntly: "Put up, or shut up." If you think someone is out of line tell a mod and let them decide what to do. There are a good reasons why we have mods and this is one of them.

Basically be nice and keep the chatter friendly and laid back.

Sorry for bumping but I thought this was worth mentioning,

Leo

Behind your back is your front.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal