Author Topic: Late backwrap exit (& dealing with unwanted BW & FW'  (Read 15326 times)

barnesy

• Administrator
Late backwrap exit (& dealing with unwanted BW & FW'
« on: January 07, 2005, 10:45:54 PM »
I was talking to Sean_ earlier about methods of getting out of a backwrap if the backwrapped diabolo passes the other diabolo.  I recently realised that it's quite simple - you don't need to do something with a left hand frontwrap, like I had been trying, you can just pop the right hand diabolo up and unwrap the other one.

It's quite a simple trick, but I thought I should share it because a lot of people seem to get the same problem, and I was pleased to find that there's a simple way out, which wasn't as obvious to me as it possibly should have been! :).  If it's useful to someone, then I may as well post it.

The video: http://www.2diabolo.net/media/latebackwrap.mpg

diabololi

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 10:58:12 PM »
Why didn't I think of that  :)
I normally unwrap it as if it was a frontwrap and as it comes to the other side right hand front unwrap it, then its in a normal backwrap on the right side.

Oli

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 11:12:39 PM »
Yeah, same here.   And I'd screw that up quite often, because the backwrap slows the diabolo, and I've probably only landed in that position after a mistake so there's often not enough spin to do a longer exit.

seán_

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks Barnesy, thats very helpfull. I couldn't get my head around it before you posted the video.

Recently I seem to be getting unintentional backwraps heading up the string and thats a very handy way of dealing with it. It took me a few goes to get over the temptation to do something with my left hand but I think I have got over that now.

I have come up with another simmilar method inspired by Daves move for when the diabolo is moving with too much pace to hover easily. Basically let the wraped diabolo go over into a LH handstall, pop the free diabolo up, clockwise sun (whilst still holding the handstall) under the thrown diabolo, resume shuffle. These two tricks should keep me out of trouble.

I sometimes use the method Oli mentions but it can be a bit awkward.

Thanks again Barnesy for helping me with this, it's been really bugging me recently.

Seán

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 12:00:57 AM »
Ingenious, Dave. I like it.

I have another technique that I use from a slightly different situation. I don't usually notice that I've missed unwrapping a diabolo until I've wrapped the next one. Then you have two backwrapped diabolos - one bad situation. I'll film it and post it here in the next day or two.

Sean

seán_

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 12:26:30 AM »
note also the five renegade diabolos in shot. I know how much you like them Sean :)

I'm trying to work out how to deal with your two backwrap situation, I'm intrigued.

seán_

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 12:57:30 AM »
Quote from: seán_

I have come up with another simmilar method inspired by Daves move for when the diabolo is moving with too much pace to hover easily. Basically let the wraped diabolo go over into a LH handstall, pop the free diabolo up, clockwise sun (whilst still holding the handstall) under the thrown diabolo, resume shuffle.

I find it helps to hold the string during the sun.

From this trick I also found another way. Get into the handtrap, sun it to the right without bothering to throw the other diabolo, it should just follow the other diabolo (you dont need to hold the string this time). It's kind of like one round (or part) of an AC fan in front of the body instead of facing to the right.

Thanks again Barnesy. you've sparked of a lot of ideas for me tonight. I'm glad I didn't go to the pub now. :)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 01:05:42 AM »
Both of those variations are great!  The second one in particular - it worked as soon as I tried it, even though I didn't think I understood it from reading your post!    Good stuff!

And that's where the renegades live these days.  Retired but still loved and not forgotten!  :)

Paul

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 01:34:09 AM »
Finally an easy way of getting out of those late backwraps. Cheers Barnesy. Its soooooo simple. I cant believe I never though of it!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 11:12:46 AM »
Hmm... I´m using quite different style to open late backwraps...
 I use knot stealing, I mastered few kinds of knot stealings last fall and I like them a lot...

So It goes like this, you have that BW there and you need to open it. Simple, give "speed" to the unwrapped diabolo on your rigth side (one what Barnesy pops up) and let it go around the other diabolo. When it goes around you can open it with same style what you use in normal BW. Or you can turn it to a sprinkler, or you can continue w/ speed pulls.

Sorry ´bout bad english, but I hope you got the point. So you just steal the knot to the other diabolo.

[EDIT:] I made a little bad quality vid... It´s done twice First is late BW second is just little late... www.kolumbus.fi/diabolo/OLBW.wmv (3MB)

Tom_G

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 01:55:07 PM »
3 methods to choose from.... great topic! Especially like the knot stealing, and it looks like a trick in itself which is nice. Need a bit of practice though...
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

seán_

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 02:13:12 PM »
Quote from: Tom_G
3 methods to choose from.... great topic! Especially like the knot stealing, and it looks like a trick in itself which is nice. Need a bit of practice though...

5 actualy ;) and hopefully a few more to come!

I'm finding each one of them usefull and starting to fit them into combos and such like. Thanks for the Knot stealing vid Elmeri, thats a lovely way of dealing with the wrap. (and a cool trick to boot)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »
Nice one, thanks Elmeri.

When I finally got to see the video [rant about the evils of WMV3 self modded], I managed to get the trick working.  It helped me to think of it as a sun between the arms with the unwrapped diabolo, making it come behind the wrapped one.

I like how this thread seems to have turned a situation I used to carefully avoid into a whole load of opportunities!

diabololi

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 05:41:25 PM »
Nice one elmeri, I used that one as a trick, but when I miss a back wrap, It goes up really fast and hits the stick.
Oli

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 03:08:50 AM »
Alright, here's my little video. Nothing amazing here, but I find this the most reliable way to recover when I find both diabolos backwrapped. There is another interesting variation with an inversed vortex. I do the double front-wrapped version all the time (Priam often uses it in his routines too) but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the backwrapped version.

1. I keep whipping the upper diabolo until I'm ready to recover.
2. I throw the top diabolo into a right arm stall and hold the string to isolate the other diabolo.
3. Undo the wrap on the bottom diabolo.
4. Throw the arm-stalled diabolo back over your arm into a normal backwrap, then unwrap. (Believe it or not, you don't have to do that stupid head-bobbing thing that I do to make it work.)

http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/sean_2d_wrap_recover.mpg (1.4 mb)

And for a limited time, an out-take version:
http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/sean_2d_wrap_recover_interupt.mpg (1.3 mb)

Don't film off-white diabolos on off-white walls, folks... just don't do it. :roll:

Sean

kamikace

• VotW Contributor
er..
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 10:10:53 PM »
lol, very funny second video. How for make the trick that you friend didn´t let you? from the stick... :wink:
Rooted diabolist.

lev_lev

PLEASE help with infuriating repetitive damnable funkups (FW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 04:16:36 PM »
hey,

i've been going with 2 diabolo for about a year now, just took it up again after a fallow period over winter (always too wet in england and my bedroom got trashed).

Anyway, I'm finding that a when I mess up a few moves such as speed pulls on every pass and sometimes a sprinkler entrance gone wrong, I end up in a string climb, requiring a left hand front (un)wrap, followed by a (leg/knee) stall to be able to throw the unwrapped diabolo back into a shuffle.

It happens too often and I'm sick of having to try to do stalls with slow diabolos, so if anyone can suggest a quicker left side exit to (I think) a right hand backwrap, please help

And thanks if you even understand what the funk I mean.

Ta,

Lev
-------------------------------------------------------
Check out flair bartending at:

www.hoyit.com
--------------------------------------------------------

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 04:37:47 PM »
Let the diabolo swing over your arm and you will get into a lefthand armstall. from there just throw the diabolo into the shuffle. Safe and simple...
You can also undo the wrap by letting the other diabolo swing around the wrapped one on the inside and get the other diabolo backwraped. I think this is called transfers...
(place the diabolos on the ground and put the string in the possition and move the diabolos untill you know what to do)
Good luck!

diabololi

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 07:51:54 PM »
My way of getting out of that is to unwrap it and send it back to the right side, there you can do speed-pulls without wrapping it (the string is double-crossed). From there frontwrap it in your own time and you are back in a normal right hand wrap on the right side. I hope you can understand that  :)

Oli

seán_

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 08:07:07 PM »
Simmilar to Mr Pinks first sugestion and the one I use, initially for the same reason as you but know as a trick in its own right, Is to go into a LH Stickstall, Magic Knot throw it back into the shuffle. Looks cool thanks to Matt H for showing it to me.

Also, if you still have decent speed by the time you are in the LH Stickstall, you can swing the free diabolo and the Sticktrapped one over the left stick into either a Shuffleover or Hyperloop (sprinkler).

Final suggestion is what you mentioned in your post, Frontwrap Backwrap.
Theres a video and howto on Barnesy's Site www.2diabolo.net .

HTH Sean

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal