Author Topic: I just became a huge fan of Google Video.  (Read 2824 times)

Matt_

• Donator
I just became a huge fan of Google Video.
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I've always been rather disappointed that the top streaming video websites, Google Video and YouTube, have such abysmal fullscreen support. Sometimes I like to sit back on my couch, switch the video/audio output to my TV/surround sound (rather than computer), and watch videos, TV shows, movies, and the like.

But streaming videos are never good. I think this video was the end of the line for me. I wanted to watch it fullscreen but the built in fullscreen was atrocious. Then I finally decided to follow a link I'd seen a hundred million times before: "download video".

I don't know WHY this didn't come to me earlier, but Google Video resizes in software. It uses CPU only and it creates a pretty awful picture, lots of blocks and it's just ugly. But when you download the video, you can choose between DirectX and OpenGL rendering (I tested; seems like OGL is a bit better). And WOW!

What I did here was fullscreen the video to 1280x1024 and then resize back to 640x480.

Here's the Xvid file at ~1500kbps which I uploaded:

and here's the google video download, played from their player:

Save them and open them in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (if you have XP) so you can flip back and forth. Google Video seems to add a bit of luminance and a slight blur to cover up the encoding/resizing artifacts, but in general, it's beautiful, and DEFINITELY watchable on a TV!

Now the only hurdle is the horrible sound that Google packs into its videos...I'm going to be making my own 2001 syncup because I can't stand the horrible audio of the Google one, but at least I know now how to download videos for fullscreen, which will work excellent on videos that aren't entirely based on music...

By the way---first post in the new OT? Woot!

Chiok

• Donator
Re: I just became a huge fan of Google Video.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:05:16 PM »
I encountered the "Download" function of GoogleVideo when the WJFII videos came out.  It saved them to my harddrive and I was surprised to find they were a couple of hundred megabytes each.  But you're right, it's not bad.  It needed the GoogleVideo player but you can fudge the format around and it's pretty good.

Shame on you for only just discovering it though.  Have you not learned to push all the buttons and see what happens?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Matt_

• Donator
Re: I just became a huge fan of Google Video.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:22:05 AM »
I thought I knew what it meant---that it was merely a shortcut that pushed you to use an alternative player to load up the same garbage looking thing you could just stream from the internet in Firefox? Oh, but I was wrong. Very wrong...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal