Author Topic: Diabolo injuries  (Read 126532 times)

JJesse

Re: Diabolo injuries
« Reply #320 on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »
Getting the diabolo to wrap up while doing 1d leg orbits takes skill! ;D

CirqueKid

« Reply #321 on: July 05, 2008, 07:28:36 AM »
I seriously injured my right wrist after doing vertax with my carbon fiber sticks and Finesses for extended periods of time.  It didn't hurt too bad at the time, but after a few days, I could barely even rotate it without serious pain, and had to stop diaboling for over a week and a half.   :'( 

I later found it out to be wrist tendonitis, which I guess is semi-common in sports such as tennis and bowling.  I realized I ignored the warning signs of wrist pain and continued diaboling.  I guess it has been a painful lesson well learned.  :-\
[BBCode] Insert signature here! [/BBCode]

Will G

« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2008, 09:18:18 PM »
Hi

Just tried that weird inverse trapeze neck satellite thing and it hit me in the face I fell over and it hit me in the balls. Ow

Quangsen

« Reply #323 on: August 14, 2008, 10:43:23 PM »
Hehe, I guess we have to sacrifice our bodies to play Diabolo (in a good sense)

I get constant scars from monorailing on my right arm. It's surprising how strong the strings are D:

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
i was wearing sandals and diaboloing(don't advise it)and dropped a nicely spinning one on my left big toe, i think it made some pretty bad damage :-\
can't believe its not butter

Akse

« Reply #325 on: September 04, 2008, 04:07:08 PM »
I was doing vertax when the string snapped and the diabolo hit to my face. :(

flep

« Reply #326 on: September 04, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
I was doing vertax when the string snapped and the diabolo hit to my face. 
because of such an accident I still have a tiny scar on my forehead  xD
fortunately one doesn't really notice it :)
hell yeah!

fasilevi

« Reply #327 on: September 05, 2008, 02:57:34 AM »
2 diabolos up... tried to do 2 pirouettes, after i was done with the second pirouette the diabolo was in my right eye already

Khordoth

« Reply #328 on: September 08, 2008, 07:25:05 AM »
Mweh my right wrist is really painful, I don't know what it is.
About a week ago my wrist started hurting badly whenever I did Chinese Accelerations, but it's impossible to do it right now.
Seriously, this is not fun.
I'll go see a doctor if it gets worse and stuff.
Especially since my right wrist is the most important to me! xD
Diaboloing, juggling, playing guitar/bass, drawing...
And I can't play bass anymore thanks to my wrist. Yay.

I think I overused it or something when practicing Vertax.
I haven't diaboloed in a few days, hoping that resting helps.
It sucks.

[ MRIJ ]
Pi

JJesse

« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2008, 02:04:49 PM »
Khordoth, you're not alone ;)
Also got a club right into my eye when attempting a kickup.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
Yes, you are not alone. I constantly deal with wrist overuse issues when diaboloing and/or typing. Take it easy for a while. Gradually increase your practicing. Think about what types of diaboloing (vertax for example) give you the most problems and be especially careful about overdoing those. Try some other gear if you can. Some diabolos and sticks give me problems. Others are fine. For me, any of the carbon fiber or fiberglass sticks give me problems, as do full weight fly or sun diabolos. Finesses give me a bit of a problem, circuses are fine - especially with plastic hubs and washers. Taibolos with lighter weight washers are the easiest on my wrists. The new light weight Suns aren't too hard on my wrists. I find generally that the lighter the diabolos and the heavier the sticks the better my wrists feel. So, I usually use aluminum sticks and light diabolos.

Most of all, stop for now and recover. If you keep aggravating it, it will become chronic... and that's no fun. It's a combination thing, right? So, basically the amount of micro-damage you are causing to the connective tissue isn't getting enough time to recover between damage sessions. For you - all the activities you mentioned together have become too much for whatever reason.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2008, 09:17:20 AM »
Added to my broken nose I have now also gotten myself a few black eyes doing 3D siteswaps and got a deep cut in my eye when missing a pirouette under an inf. unwrapped suicide. The pirouettemiss really hurt, full speed straight into an open eye. It swelled during the night and I had to make a second cut in the swelling with a razorblade the next morning to be able to see again for practice. Still have a cool scar from that 8).

s, you are not alone. I constantly deal with wrist overuse issues when diaboloing and/or typing. Take it easy for a while. Gradually increase your practicing. Think about what types of diaboloing (vertax for example) give you the most problems and be especially careful about overdoing those. Try some other gear if you can. Some diabolos and sticks give me problems. Others are fine. For me, any of the carbon fiber or fiberglass sticks give me problems, as do full weight fly or sun diabolos. Finesses give me a bit of a problem, circuses are fine - especially with plastic hubs and washers. Taibolos with lighter weight washers are the easiest on my wrists. The new light weight Suns aren't too hard on my wrists. I find generally that the lighter the diabolos and the heavier the sticks the better my wrists feel. So, I usually use aluminum sticks and light diabolos.

Most of all, stop for now and recover. If you keep aggravating it, it will become chronic... and that's no fun. It's a combination thing, right? So, basically the amount of micro-damage you are causing to the connective tissue isn't getting enough time to recover between damage sessions. For you - all the activities you mentioned together have become too much for whatever reason.

This sounds like no fun at all. Maybe it would be good to do some wriststrengthening separate of normal practice?

Edit: I got this message while typing this:

Warning - while you were typing 297 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

^What is that? Something wrong with the forum or my computer?

Midoryu

« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2008, 01:36:50 AM »
Ok...I'm just gonna list my injuries in a list for easy reading, then explain them in graphic detail just for good measure  ;D.  But before that:
I have two light taibolos which I lovingly named "Typhoon" and "Whirlwind".  How do they repay me?  By hitting me EVERYWHERE whenever they get the chance:

-shins
-groin
-face
-torso
-arms
[Edit:]-wrist pain/problems
         -arthritis and the like
-neck
-face again
-burns from string or very, VERY hot axels
-cuts
-excessive choking
-things bending the wrong way
-injuries induced on OTHER people
-mental/pride injuries

Which is basically all that we've covered in this thread.  But still, Y injuries were...pretty unique >.>

This was all when I used a chinese yoyo, which has nice little holes in the side for fitting fingernails into...
Yes...when I was teaching a chinese yo-yo class, I tried to stop the yo-yo's "cup" like I would a diabolo cup.  So, you know...little square whistle holes...deeply sliced off ring finger skin...what was stupid and funny, though, was that with my knowledge that blood clots I tried to [GRAPHIC] glue/put the skin back on [END GRAPHIC].  You can tell because the fingerprints are crooked XD.  So yes, n3mo, I partially understand your pain.

STICKS HURT TOO!!!!
Ah yes...suiciding and having the heavy sticks explode on your hands isn't enough.  My wooden ones split in half during school, and some idiot ran off with it as a joke.  I chase him down, saying "it's dangerous!  NOOO!!!!", grabs for the bag with the concealed deathtraps and next thing I know I'm screaming in pain with my palm slashed.  He stopped, of course, and it taught him a lesson on being an annoying jerk, but it still doesn't help...in fact, I think there might still be splinters in my hand.

make a big knot to connect 2 snapped strings to be able to diabolo...
Last but not least, the act of stupidity that causes friction and pain faster and more efficient than a 5 cm diameter MB string.  Funny enough, I had to play chinese yo-yo with a knot like that.  I managed ok though.

We should have a top 10 pain/injury of diabolo.  My favourite one is the kneecap.  Poor Magnificent Godly Busk.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

fzzyrn

« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »
never try to do a sprinkler stall with g3 finesses too close to your face.

rubber burns galore.

sasuke_2255

« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2008, 02:26:34 AM »
Ok...I'm just gonna list my injuries in a list for easy reading, then explain them in graphic detail just for good measure  ;D.  But before that:
I have two light taibolos which I lovingly named "Typhoon" and "Whirlwind".  How do they repay me?  By hitting me EVERYWHERE whenever they get the chance:

-shins
-groin
-face
-torso
-arms
[Edit:]-wrist pain/problems
         -arthritis and the like
-neck
-face again
-burns from string or very, VERY hot axels
-cuts
-excessive choking
-things bending the wrong way
-injuries induced on OTHER people
-mental/pride injuries

Which is basically all that we've covered in this thread.  But still, Y injuries were...pretty unique >.>
Yes...when I was teaching a chinese yo-yo class, I tried to stop the yo-yo's "cup" like I would a diabolo cup.  So, you know...little square whistle holes...deeply sliced off ring finger skin...what was stupid and funny, though, was that with my knowledge that blood clots I tried to [GRAPHIC] glue/put the skin back on [END GRAPHIC].  You can tell because the fingerprints are crooked XD.  So yes, n3mo, I partially understand your pain.
Ah yes...suiciding and having the heavy sticks explode on your hands isn't enough.  My wooden ones split in half during school, and some idiot ran off with it as a joke.  I chase him down, saying "it's dangerous!  NOOO!!!!", grabs for the bag with the concealed deathtraps and next thing I know I'm screaming in pain with my palm slashed.  He stopped, of course, and it taught him a lesson on being an annoying jerk, but it still doesn't help...in fact, I think there might still be splinters in my hand.
Last but not least, the act of stupidity that causes friction and pain faster and more efficient than a 5 cm diameter MB string.  Funny enough, I had to play chinese yo-yo with a knot like that.  I managed ok though.

We should have a top 10 pain/injury of diabolo.  My favourite one is the kneecap.  Poor Magnificent Godly Busk.

Taibolos hurt don't they? I already got cut like 3 times from mine xD.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »
Poeple really get that much problems with wristpains? I often like to use heavy diabolos (Diabigs, Fly´s with added weights etc.) and have never experienced it. Does long sticks help here? Because I always thought they would do the exact opposite ???.

mykill

« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2008, 01:02:44 AM »
i dont see how injury is possible from diabolos other than being hit when you do a trick....
how much time do you guys spend daily?
i've never gotten wrist injuries. few cuts thats about it.
This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2008, 01:51:56 AM »
Poeple really get that much problems with wristpains?...
i dont see how injury is possible from diabolos other than being hit when you do a trick....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

aznalien

« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2008, 02:37:25 AM »
my friend knocked my tooth out today, while he was doing some excalibur gens, i was doing 2d high, and i throw one diabolo a little bit off, and i go and try to catch it and bam, alminum stick in the mouth.  :o ow.
hahaha. TRU DAT BROTHA!

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2008, 03:28:12 AM »
Pictures please ;)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal