Author Topic: Excalibur: a basic tutorial  (Read 86881 times)

Chiok

• Donator
Re: Excalibur: a basic tutorial
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2005, 11:39:11 PM »
Quote from: Mithew
two questions: 1)when i try to do excalibur suns, i can get the top sun and bottom sun, but when i try to rewrap, it flies off the string, what should i do??
2) How exactly do you do an excalibur genocide, i know the basic idea, but anyone have any advice for it?
Right, like most things, I understand the theory, but can never get the  practical.  With vertax suns, it is in my experience that you must do another on the opposite side so that it does become unwrapped or over wrapped i.e do an overhead sun then an underarms sun and then swing back around to rewrap the diabolo.

As for the genocide, here's the theory.  Get it going all vertical like then (assuming right handedness), go to a left stopover and as you unwrap the stopover to send the diabolo to the right, give it a pop upwards to give yourself enough time to swing the string and sticks over your head to recapture the diabolo again on the darkside.  Now, very important, once you've felt the string connect with the axle, change the stick to the other hand (you were holding onto the right, so now you're holding onto what was the right handstick with the left) and catch the flying handstick with your right.  This lil sleight of hand is what avoids the half twist in the string.  And then keep going, or apologise to the kid/old person/dog/tree you hit with the stick along the way.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

kamikace

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
Thanks Chiok
and for the slowcides?
Rooted diabolist.

Mithew

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2005, 01:50:09 AM »
i'm not sure if slowcides would be possible, the way the diablo stays up in excalibur is by keeping it constantly in motion, and well, SLOWcide means the stick goes around the diabolo fairly slowly, so the diabolo would probably fall

EDIT: another cool trick with excalibur i've seen is an excalibur whip catch, looked awesome, i forget what video it was in though
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2005, 12:46:15 PM »
Slowicides are possible, or they may be continuous suicides.  -Fred- does them in his summer video (that'll require a look at the tricks and videos sticky).  Same sort of idea, release one stick, catch it again.  But I'm not sure of the technique myself in relation to the rotation and whether you want to release from underneath or above.

As for the whipcatch, I've seen in in Ori Roth's 6th (?) Israel juggling video where the guy with bleached hair pulls one off.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Jester

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2005, 01:18:29 PM »
i've been trying to get the genocide off a right trapeze but i can't keep it going when i catch it yet

is the left trapeze easier/more economical

should i stop being lazy and just go practice untill i figure out which way is easier?

mabye tommorow
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Mattias

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2005, 02:51:16 PM »
Okey, this has turned to a more advanced side of vertax so I'll ask here,

I want to learn the knot that antonin uses in one of his and eric's performances. Where he have prepped the string around the diabolo in such a way that when he pulled the sticks apart the diabolo gains spin and ends up in a right wrap. Anyone know how to do this?
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Mithew

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2005, 04:25:32 PM »
i know the basic idea, what you do is get the diabolo to curl up the string (to do this you give the diablo a wrap and while its spinning fairly slowly you yank gently with the left handstick (instructions for righties).  The diabolo will curl up the string, so then you need to grab the diabolo before it curls up all the way and gets twisted.  Then you need to flit the diabolo other and take the left handstick in your right hand, and right handstick in your left hand (this makes sure the diabolo spins the correct way and so the handsticks aren't twisted.  Then, stand up and slowly pull the handsticks apart, the diabolo should start spinning and you can go into excalibur.  This trick is really hard compared to the regular method of getting into excalibur, i've only done it sucessfully twice.

EDIT: also, does anyone have any tips for excalibur genocides? i can usually get the string to touch the diabolo, but then the diabolo comes off
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

john_s

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2006, 04:53:15 PM »
sorry to drag this topic back, but i've been having a bit of trouble with a different kind of vertax trick - on the hall/yabe worshop video, at about 6:20 i think, someone asks about the around the legs trick. ryo manages to tilt the diabolo to vertical the other way around (ie it starts tilting away from you rather than the traditional towards you in excalibur) just by correcting orbits around the legs, and then finishes with a few ricochets and popping one between the legs (very impressive, but i'll start with the basics). i'm just struggling at the moment to work out the best way to do this - i assume on each rotation it's the string rubbing the top cup to make it tilt, but he does it so fast it's hard to ascertain! whenever i try it gets a bit tangled or falls off, around the leg orbits are difficult enough without trying to get into some kind of backwards vertax too!

can anybody explain this trick to me please?

martijn

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2006, 05:03:21 PM »
I try that trick too sometimes. I think though, that the vertax around the legs can be easier than the normal around 2 legs, because you don't have to bend your body to the back so much.

Still, it's one hell of a hard trick :P How I start it: tilt it just a little bit forward, do a front to back sun, start orbitting, and try to get your diab completely in the horizontal plane (while turning to the left). I think you need a reasonably fast spinning diabolo, because the string has a lot of friction on the cups... it falls of pretty fast while 'rubbing'. I need to practise it some more, and film it perhaps.

Maybe someone who mastered the trick could give us some more tips? Thanks in advance. :)

CM

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2006, 11:31:30 PM »
I can do this trick after watching ryo at the IJA, and I've found that the speed of the diabolo is not that important, because it speeds up when its in vertax. I find it easier at a slower speed to get it in the position.

As for the trick, you really have to focus on keeping the diabolo going at a constant speed and, when it starts to get vertical, to bend forward a little and drop your arms down a bit. Hope this helps  :)
YO!

wooftang

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2006, 06:12:05 PM »
i dont quite understand
do you have to have a wrap to do basic excalibur or can you do it on open string
tom

john_s

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2006, 06:36:56 PM »
you'll want to be using a rh backwrap for this (assuming you're a righty). of course, it is possible to get some of the way just from corrections, but this will result in 3 problems :

1 it's on an open string, so less easy to control when the forces of gravity start to join in
2 the diabolo moves much slower from this method, making it far less stable and your chances of a decent vertax a lot slimmer
3 you'll probably be correcting this in the normal position, ie in front of your shins - it's going to be massively difficult to manipulate if you even get it remotely vertical!

i suggest watching the video, reading this whole thread and giving it a go. it's a strange motion at first, but you soon get used to it.

/john

b0bbeling

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2006, 08:58:36 PM »
hey thnx sean, i now think i know how i must do it :D

fredo

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2006, 09:29:27 PM »
Ok, first of all welcome at the forum, but you should read the user etiquette first. There's something about not to bump up ancient threads just to say "nice one"...

Don't feel offended, you would have been reprimanded anyway :wink: so have fun at the forum and don't hesitate opening a new thread if you can't find anything neither with the search function (at the top) nor in the trick and video archive(a sticky)...

You can also introduce yourself if haven't done yet in the Introduce yourself sticky...

fredo

JyNo

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
Well now that this topic has come back, I´m having a lot of problemas with the under arms sun, I dont know if my string is too long or what but when i try it the string just re-wraps the diabolo in a crazy way and makes it go crazy, may be i just need more practice... :?

fredo

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2006, 09:35:11 PM »
Ok, try the sun in the normal way first, this might help... Just watch the tutorial,,,Maybe your doing it too slow or too fast...

JyNo

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2006, 10:01:24 PM »
Is the normal sun the same than the "sun above arms"?, if it is.... when i do it the string gets "crossed" I dont know how to explain it, its just the same thing than when you do a regular sun the strin gets....well crossed...., to un-cross it, don´t you need to do a under arms sun? or should i do a counter clockwise sun instead?

fredo

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 10:06:30 PM »
well, just do it as in the tutorial, but yes, you have to do a sun under your both arms afterwards... If you've got diabology, it's just the same as the front and between arm suns...

eggy900

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2006, 02:28:41 PM »
Just been practicing my excalbur with my G2 and it's really hard, I learnt it last night with an oddballs small, but i can't understand wy it's so much more difficult.

What's the best diabolo + stick length combination for excalibur?

fredo

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
That has already been discussed in anotner thread (too lazy to search) , a normal finesse is easier to get into excalibur, a wide axled one is much harder, but better for doing tricks... Diabigs are good, too

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal