Author Topic: Excalibur: a basic tutorial  (Read 89698 times)

cpai

Re: Excalibur: a basic tutorial
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2007, 06:53:54 AM »
When I watch the tutorial I cannot tell if the diabolo is to the right of both sticks or in the middle of the 2 sticks...

merripp

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2007, 01:59:08 PM »
thanks sean  :D ill probably get it right eventually lol

seán_

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2007, 06:00:07 PM »

When I watch the tutorial I cannot tell if the diabolo is to the right of both sticks or in the middle of the 2 sticks...

middle, well closer to right hand. best to think of the entry and any time it is wrapped as chinese whips where skilfull use of hand position has got it on its side.

ecuador

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2007, 03:03:12 PM »
When i do excalibur/ vertax when the diabolo is vertical it falls down could someone help me?
Ecuador

David - SAS1

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »
your chinese acceleration could be too slow or you are not turning enough
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

cpai

« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2007, 04:27:14 AM »
I'm having the same problem, but turning seems not to be the answer. Once I unwrap the diabolo, it starts to go downwards because of gravity, and the string rubs the cups. This either moves it horizontal, or forces it to fall down. I have tried to put the sticks and axel in line, but gravity forces the diabolo to go down anyway. I've read somewhere that the diabolo needs to keep moving: Am I supposed to keep turning around?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »
Yep, most of the time, you'll be turning in the same direction, unless you're a member of Tre'space.  Also when you unwrap, swing the diabolo with a bit of conviction i.e. fairly hard, so that there is enough force to keep the diabolo level.  The force of the string against the axle should overcome the force of gravity.  Also when you are swinging, try and swing a little bit up too, that helps.  If you watch enough videos of people in vertax, not many stay still.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

cpai

« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2007, 05:33:29 AM »
Thanks Chiok. After lots of practice I was able to get it vertical and do some stopovers! :D

But I can't do the suns. Any pointers?

David - SAS1

« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2007, 02:30:01 PM »
Practise normally helps ;D
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

_Matz_

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2007, 04:13:42 PM »
i can't do right, eighter left stop over, cause diabolos allways fall. help?
|)><(|   hope you understand my english

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »
that was a coool video but now i can do vertax i want to know how to do some more tricks. could someone possibly make a video explaining tricks?
thanks

Dan

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »

i can't do right, eighter left stop over, cause diabolos allways fall. help?

When you are coming round into the stop-over try to move a little bit in the direction which the diabolo is moving into it.  This helps to smoothly slow the velocity of the diabolo and then you can swing it back in the other direction.  All practise and trying to "feel" the diabolo.

Dan

schizosid

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
I have two questions (somewhat related to technique):

1) I can get the diabolo to vertical and do a few tricks (stopovers, sun), but it wears me out so much I can't keep going for more than a few minutes at a time (whereas I can go on for hours with the diabolo horizontal).  In general, it seems I expend much more effort in keeping the diabolo spinning than any of the performers in the videos I've seen.  Maybe I'm just weak, but does anyone else think it's hard just keeping the diabolo in vertax?

2)  I need to be turning constantly to keep the diabolo from falling of.  This doesn't seem entirely correct to me, so I've been experimenting with different hand positions to reduce the rate at which I have to turn.  The most efficient way I've found so far (moving the right stick a little right, as well as back and forth, while I'm whipping) breaks my string within a few hours of practice.  This is probably a technique problem, so I'm wondering what is wrong.

David - SAS1

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »

1) I can get the diabolo to vertical and do a few tricks (stopovers, sun), but it wears me out so much I can't keep going for more than a few minutes at a time (whereas I can go on for hours with the diabolo horizontal).  In general, it seems I expend much more effort in keeping the diabolo spinning than any of the performers in the videos I've seen.  Maybe I'm just weak, but does anyone else think it's hard just keeping the diabolo in vertax?

I had this problem at first but your muscles get used to it and strengthen after a while.  The action is strange to your body that is why it hurts.

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »
Essentially, what you are doing is holding your arms up and waving them like a mad man. It isn't really normal he he. Also, holding your arms up for a prolonged period of time hurts anyway! :)
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »
Seems to be normal behaviour for a madman it seems.  Yeah, it's a fatigue issue that you will come across and will have to adapt to.  Also, don't whip too hard.  Once it's up there and vertical, try and give it just enough flick to keep it going, don't waste energy where it's not needed.

As for string breaking, well that's a sharp stick issue which you have to resolve with some wet & dry paper or coating the ends in a plastic to prevent fraying the string.  Back when all the amateurs were giving vertax a go, string was being snapped all the time.  It's really not as violent as it may seem.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2007, 11:52:43 PM »
Hey, I'm having trouble just getting into the Vertax, I think it's because I can't do Chinese Snaps very well, (could someone give me advice on this) and also when I get it up, it's seems to go like this (right to left): \|/ and falls when I try to get it up, probably because I can't do Chinese snaps very well...  I use a Spinabolo Pro by the way... and what kind of wrap do I use?
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

shizzlerr

« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2007, 02:24:43 AM »
AHHH! help when i try to do vertax the yoyo like refuses to tilt it usually tilts like 45 degrees, and its hard for me to turn the yoyo to make it tilt towards me. help plz!!

David - SAS1

« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
Does your diabolo have a wide axel?  I find vertax significantly harder with a wide axel (unless it is a fly).
Try using a diabolo with a normal axel and keep your left arm higher.

shizzlerr

« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2007, 11:25:53 PM »
ooo ya thts wat i thought it was my yoyo is wide axeled and slightly on the heavy side. thnx!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal