Author Topic: blind whip catches  (Read 8226 times)

n3mo

blind whip catches
« on: March 11, 2007, 02:35:47 AM »
I was practicing blind whip catches, like the ones Antonin does in the Baguettes movie:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VclhmwmJSdY

problem is, it is extremely inconsistent, i can only get it maybe 1/3 times. I was hoping to use it as an ending for a performance I'm doing in a few months, but generally i like to land endings perfectly xP

any advice on how to make these consistent (or are they simply drill, drill, and more drill)?
- Princeton Juggling Club -

brind0g

Re: blind whip catches
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 04:21:17 AM »
Ive just learnt and nailed a behind the back whip catch, it just took me alot of practise to throw it the right way behind me, and then the right movement with the sticks to catch, now i can pretty much catch all the time, unless i lose focus and dont throw it properly....

Diabolo

Add to My Profile |  More Videos

Nahxela

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:04:36 AM »
Spiffy video there.  :)

Unfortunately, this trick IS one of those types where you just have to practice it over and over again, since there isn't a real way to perfect your toss right off the bat.

I think it's kind of like how when one initially starts to learn how to toss start into multiple diabolo shuffles, since, with most people, the first tosses a person makes usually are pretty horrible - they're wobbly, shaky, and difficult to catch then start up. However, after awhile, the tosses slowly begin to shape up, and you can start off the tosses with perfection.

With whip catches, it's just tossing it consistently behind you in one spot where you will end up whipping to most times, then after awhile you'll just adapt and be adjusted to tossing it in a particular area that you will almost always (maybe 80-90%) make the whip, not a total hundred, since there's always room for error, like an accidental over toss, your yoyo doesn't fully leave the string, then it plops on your head, etc.

Just keep practicing and you'll eventually hit the nail on the head ;)
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:17:12 AM »
i was thinking a blind whip catch would be without looking at it. like throwing it behind you and whipping it between your legs.
'perfect practice makes perfect' for this trick

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 05:59:02 PM »
Whipping it betwen your legs is easier and is definately a good move for performances. I found that looking at the diabolo when you make the throw makes it easier to catch, as you can adjust for the position of the diabolo.

Hope this helps

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

Richie

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
I've recently mastered this the trick to practicing it is when you throw it behind you look over you shoulder to work out where the diabolo will be so when you dont look you know where to aim.
hope it helps
New Years Resolutions :
Learn 2d Fan, 2d High, Tomicide, 3d

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:05:33 PM »
Yeah, the "behind the back" whip catch doesn't seem blind in my opinion, it's just in a tricky position.  Just remember to keep your sticks wide enough apart and aim in the general direction.

Blind whip catches (as in between the legs behind you) aren't too tricky as long as you throw it straight behind you and fairly close.  What I tend to do is pitch it up in the air, and then turn my  back to it so that it's parallel to the middle of my back, then I just split my sticks and whip in the general direction.  It's alot about timing too as when to whip.  What helps to is if you don't whip too quickly and let the string float for at bit which generally helps it catch the diabolo if it gets close.

If you want to do the slightly easier blind one, magic knot (inverse trapeze) the diabolo, put sticks in one hand, drop it over your shoulder and immediately swing your hand back down to catch it whilst looking in the opposite direction.  This is good because if the hand moves quickly enough, it aligns with the diabolo before it's had a chance to really go anywhere "unknown" hence "drop" and not "throw".

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

n3mo

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 02:04:05 AM »
thanks for all the advice. i've tried whipping a little slower, it seems to help.

Nahxela

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 03:38:45 PM »
Something else that helps is if you have a friend who can hold the yoyo in the general area where you usually toss the yoyo, so you can get used to whipping in that area

My problem is getting an open whip catch... usually when I whip the yoyo, I catch it and then it goes into crossed strings (crossed once) so I have to switch sticks or do something like that. I know its easy to get out of... I'm just lazy  :P
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

brind0g

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »
nahxela, The problem u mention abotu the string crossing over when u whip it is usually due to the string being twisted... simply hold one stick up so the other isnt touch the ground, and let the string un-wind... running ur thumb and index finger from top to bottom will help this.. Also u might not be opening ur sticks up enough, when i hold the sticks with one hand i have the sticks nearly at about 160o.. if that makes sence

Beni

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 10:23:29 PM »
I love this trick! After practicing quite a bit I have got this as solid as my normal whip catch. A good way to practice is to through the diabolo (with your hand) over your right shoulder and glance behind you as you whip it. try and get the sticks really close to the diabolo and catch it as a shprt flick of the wrist. When you through over your shoulder, you know exactly where the diabolo is going, so it is easier. To get into this trick properly I magic knot (or inverse trapeze) it, gather the sticks in my right hand, and sling it upwards over my shoulder, as if I was throwing it with my right hand.

Squiggle

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 04:31:08 AM »

Something else that helps is if you have a friend who can hold the yoyo in the general area where you usually toss the yoyo, so you can get used to whipping in that area

My problem is getting an open whip catch... usually when I whip the yoyo, I catch it and then it goes into crossed strings (crossed once) so I have to switch sticks or do something like that. I know its easy to get out of... I'm just lazy  :P

Maybe the problem is your using a "yoyo." :P

Nahxela

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 01:52:53 AM »

Maybe the problem is your using a "yoyo." :P

>_> Just used to using the term "Chinese yoyo" >_>

I am chinese after all, so i think i can get that leverage...

Nahxela

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 01:55:21 AM »

nahxela, The problem u mention abotu the string crossing over when u whip it is usually due to the string being twisted... simply hold one stick up so the other isnt touch the ground, and let the string un-wind... running ur thumb and index finger from top to bottom will help this.. Also u might not be opening ur sticks up enough, when i hold the sticks with one hand i have the sticks nearly at about 160o.. if that makes sence

Oh, that's not the problem I'm talking about, what you're talking about is how the strings tangle like when you do a crossed sticks sun without unweaving your sticks.
In that situation the strings are crossed twice.

What I'm talking about is where the strings are only crossed once. I'm guessing, it's just based on the way I catch it...

n3mo

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 02:00:48 AM »
yeah, i think i know what you mean. if you can (my aim isn't that good ^^;;), aim for the other cup. if whipping around one cup gives the backside situation, try the other cup. i believe hitting the far cup works for me. or you could always be fancy and do a mini genocide =D

Matt D

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 02:39:37 AM »

or you could always be fancy and do a mini genocide =D

I wish I could catch it with the strings crossed because that would be a great start into a mini-geno.

Nahxela

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 03:14:52 PM »

I wish I could catch it with the strings crossed because that would be a great start into a mini-geno.

Yeah!

You could always just switch sticks  ;D

tRPz*

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »
yeh that does work..

when u catch far cup u've still got both in 1 hand..

so simply with ur left hand (or right) grab oposite stick
_            _        _     _
ll_Grammer_Street_Elite_ll

n3mo

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 08:27:35 PM »
yeah thats true.
i've found throwing over the right shoulder and whipping straight down to be pretty good.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »
Like n3mo said, if you overhand whip the far cup, you'll be in an open string position, if you overhand whip the near cup you'll be in crossed string (normally right infront of left).  The opposite is true if you underhand whip.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal