Author Topic: Finger Grinds  (Read 29162 times)

Tom_G

Finger Grinds
« on: January 18, 2005, 08:24:04 PM »
Inspired by Diabology, I thought this deserved it's own thread :)

The variations I have tried so far are:

1) Left magic knot, bring up to hand and pull the string away. Throw and whip catch (anywhere you like  :D )

2) The one that Eric does a lot in Diabology - throw and grind the diabolo on your finger, holding one stick and letting the string swing. Throw back onto the string and catch the stick as it suicides round the diabolo (once or twice), unwrap and carry on.

3) Same as above, except batting the diabolo down into the floor after grinding it and then catching it on the string.

4) 2d - put one diabolo in some sort of stall, throw and grind the other, then throw back on the string (treating it as some sort of version of (2) with an extra diabolo on the string). Unwrap both diabolos and resume shuffle, with big grin on face. (Actually I just sort of made this one up from vague memories of other videos I'd seen - maybe I've got it wrong, but it seems almost possible).

Those are just the ones I've tried in the 2 or so days when I've actually been able to do the finger grind at all. I can do (1) and (2) but the others present a slightly bigger problem - I've done three once and never done the fourth one. The main problem I have with the third one is losing speed - I don't have a finesse, just a regular circus, so this is obviously part of the problem. I can't seem to get enough sideways momentum on either the string or the diabolo to be able to make the stick suicide around after it lands (I can only swing the stick left then back again once before the diabolo loses all speed). The fourth variation is just plain hard.

I know there's loads of other stuff that you can do, this is just a starter. I know Arjan did something in his Christmas gift thing, which foolishly I didn't save, thinking "I'm never going to be able to do that!" :D

Any other thoughts, tricks or tips would be welcome!

Tom
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Arjan

Finger Grinds
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 08:41:11 PM »
With the finger grind is so much you can do. Remember Eric switching sticks, while he grinds the diabolo on his other hand, with the string around it. This is seen in Diabolos and Baguettes movie.

Also combo`s on the fingers are possible. Use a wide axle for nice long ones.
With 2 diabolo`s there are more combo`s I`m just thinking of, which I`ll try tomorrow.
I like finger rides/grinds/action!! It was one of the first mind blowing tricks I learned!  :D

martijn

Finger Grinds
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 07:21:29 PM »
Finger tricks are awesome! 8) I only have my Finesses 2 weeks, but I already have a few nice combo's with it. Other variations:

Throw it back in to your string under your leg or back
Catch the stick under your leg or behind the back
Grind all your fingers (Diabology)
Let the diabolo bounce back when it's hitting the string and the stick at the same time, when you're throwing it back in (Diabology).

and all 2 diabolos finger grind stuff is wicked! :D

diabololi

Finger Grinds
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 09:16:10 PM »
grrr! I really wana do finger grinds but I can't... stupid circus axels  :(
Ill wait till i get 2 finnesse G2s to get finger grinding axels.

Oli

P.s. Is it possible to do a more thand 2 seconds finger grind on normal axels?

Arjan

Finger Grinds
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:17:57 PM »
Quote from: Martijn
Other variations:

Throw it back in to your string under your leg or back
Catch the stick under your leg or behind the back

I am doing this stuff all the time, Martijn, you seen me doing at Heerlen right?  :D  I never saw anybody doing it before... was I new with this?

Sean

• Administrator
Finger Grinds
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 09:30:07 PM »
Quote from: diabololi
Is it possible to do a more thand 2 seconds finger grind on normal axels?

I just checked and I can get between 6 and 7 seconds with a normal metal axle and hub circus diabolo.

With a wide axled finesse (which I don't have set up to test right now) I'm pretty sure you could get about 3 times that much. I know I've clocked in a stick grind with Henrys carbon sticks and a wide axled finesse at 1:19 before. Equipment doesn't get much better for grinding than that.

One of my favourite finger grind tricks is the finger grind into an s-fan. Probably one of the easier starts to an s-fan too.

Sean

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Finger Grinds
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:32:45 PM »
sean, you could probably do about 30 seconds or so (maybe more) with wide axled finesse, diabology has one for a long time while eric's talking on the phone.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Matt_

• Donator
Finger Grinds
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 09:45:50 PM »
sean, how on earth can you do finger grinds on a standard Henry's? i've tried, i can get about half a second before it goes totally crazy, or it catches on my finger and flies straight out. is there something im missing here?

Sean

• Administrator
Finger Grinds
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »
OK, with a wide axle I usually get around 30 seconds. That's a fingertip/nail grind though.

Matt_, I used to think it was impossible for me. I was sure that my fingers were just too wide for even the wide axles. Then I saw Antonin and Eric ginding with regular axles up close and it all clicked. It's possible, you just have to relax, line up your finger and the diabolo perfectly, and be at one with the fact that your hand is going to rub all over the hub.

At first, it might be easiest to let it rub all over that space in your hand where your thumb meets your index finger. You'll get better grind times if you move up your finger, though.

Yeap... just got to 'be at one with the friction' [insert meditation sound here: hummmmmmm]

Sean

diabololi

Finger Grinds
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 10:15:29 PM »
i gave it another try and got 5 seconds. Its not long enough to do anything with it for me becuase it takes about 2-3 seconds to get the string off which leaves with with 2 seconds to get it back on the string  :? Oh well

Tom_G

Finger Grinds
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 08:31:25 AM »
I only have circus diabolos with normal axles, and I can get about 7-8 seconds if I'm lucky.

Oli - I guess you're magic knotting it and pulling the string away. I don't think it's possible in the time you've got to do anything apart from throw, hand over the stick and catch normally OR do a left hand whip catch (which need a bit of practice on my part :) ). Just keep throwing it up, not too high, and trying to catch it on your finger. For me, it just clicked.

The magic knot way is good practice for getting the angle right before you go into catching the thing properly.

You also look really stupid when you've caught it and thrown it back towards the string only for it to miss and bounce away into the distance - one to practice next to a wall :wink:

Tom
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Matt_

• Donator
Finger Grinds
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »
:D sean, thanks man! for some reason, after that little piece of advice i went over to the diabolo, spent some good finger hurting quality time, and got the grind. i can manage about 5 seconds tops until it completely slows down...i havent worked on throwing it back in yet.

for anyone who can't get it, i suggest tilting your hand back, perhaps at about a 30-50 degree angle. that's what works best for me.

lemony

Finger Grinds
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »
i've just taught myself finger grinds with a circus... once i really thought about it it only took about a half hour to get down.

The keys (as i see them) are to:

a.) make sure the diabolo lands between two knuckles rather than on one, this stops the diabolo gripping your skin as it lands and either giving you nasty friction burns or pinging off your hand copmpletely.

b.) make sure you get your finger lined up perfectly with the axle, if you don't then the diabolo will begin to wobble and thus tend to grip your hand and fly off.

c.) get the angle of your hand right. I tend to try an angle around 45 degrees and then tilt my hand back towards horizontal if it's too much

d.) persevere, the catching action isn't quite what i expected so i suspect it mightn't be what you anticipate either.

that's about it, hope it helps.
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Ifrit

Finger Grinds
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 04:04:16 PM »
Bit of a spooky coincidence but life’s full of them I suppose.
Any way YAY I got it. I never thought it possible (for me that is) but I gave it a go and it worked first time, 6 seconds. Of course it didn’t the 2nd through to 10th time but still. I’ve got it down now to a consistent rate of grindage and I’m loving it.

I’m already playing with swapping fingers and have also got it into a little grind combo. Next I’m thinking of giving it a go from some around the body moves. Maybe a finger out and back it to a leg puppet master as I’ve already got the feel for the in and out part. But that will have to be done 2moro, as right now I need lots of ice on my friction burns. A lot worse and any burns I’ve every got from fire.
Isn’t it the oddest feeling the first time you see it just softly sitting there on your hand. I really did go into shock (still caught it mind).

Matt_

• Donator
Finger Grinds
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 06:56:19 AM »
Quote from: Ifrit
Isn’t it the oddest feeling the first time you see it just softly sitting there on your hand. I really did go into shock (still caught it mind).

yeah, when you do it right, it's a beautiful thing  8)

Ifrit

Finger Grinds
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 12:43:43 PM »
Has any ever tried any kinda protective stuff to help practise finger grinds?
Its just 2 day i thought i could really do anymore because the nice burn mark ive got (yeah im a pussy big deal), anyway i could help it so i found that using a plaster or a piece of tape over the first knuckle really helps.

Plus it gives you an indicateor of how much you would have fecked your hand up due the the way it wears away after a coupple of hours.

Has anyone else ever givin this a try when giving new fingergrind tricks ago? it really helped with that one hand thing as i just removes the slight aprehenction that comes with using a scratched up diabolo.

lemony

Finger Grinds
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 01:17:11 PM »
i've not tried it yet but i think i will... i've now got a dirty line round one cup of my diabolo where i've bled on it as it's been grinding... :?
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

BlueNovember

Finger Grinds
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 10:27:36 PM »
@Tom_G (& others):
Once the diabolo is spinning along the index finger, allow it to roll to the thumb. With enough spin it catches on it and launches into the air. :)

As for protection... :\ Just use a different diabolo. I've got a set of Oddballs; great for learning, but killer for finger grinds.
If you're really desparate, I pressume clingfilm would probably do the trick. Rubber gloves, perhaps? (Grab a few from a petrol station)

pottergs18

Beach diabolos
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 05:14:54 AM »
i may have seen this topic before but i dont know where it was.. but can you do fingur grinds w/ a beach diabolo?

Arjan

Finger Grinds
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 06:39:52 AM »
Yes, the principals are the same  :wink:  maybe the axle is smaller then a circus or a wide axled finesse.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal