Author Topic: tricks thesaurus  (Read 5605 times)

n3mo

tricks thesaurus
« on: April 10, 2007, 02:48:11 AM »
anybody try to come up with a sort of thesaurus for tricks? I just started diabolo for a few months (after years of chinese yoyo) and was immediately lost with the names of tricks. i thought i knew nothing about diabolo until i read the names in diabology. a few examples:

"ant up the tree" is now a 'lift'
'folding a blanket' is now a 'trapeze'
'drumstick' is now simply 'grind'
'hook' is 'backside/darkside'
'loop' is 'sun'
'around the ____' is 'satellite'
'spider web' is 'cradle'
'golden finger' is a 'fingernail grind'

anyone ever try to compile a thesaurus of different names for the same trick, for people like me who have learned tricks under names in different languages/cultures? if not, anyone want to add?
- Princeton Juggling Club -

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: tricks thesaurus
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
Nobody has in my knowledge. Some of the stuff in diabology is different to what most english speaking people would call it, probably lost in translation.

eg: 'satelites' are usually either 'orbits' or 'around the X' (X being the part of the body the diabolo is going around.)

I think that this might be useful for people making the transition from chinese yoyo to diabolo and for people who have just started to learn. The amount of tricks and their names probably seems a bit overwhelming to someone who has only just started to get into diaboloing.

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

Nahxela

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:33:08 PM »
Wow, this is a really good idea :) since I also come from a Chinese yoyo origin, although I noticed that you might want to add some more variations...

a crossed stick sun = shooting star

A stick grind is also "chicken hopping on one foot"

Windmill = Eagle spreading it's wings

Magic knot = Cicada shedding its shell [OR] Bring back the yoyo (for more complex knots)

a leg orbit = Crane on one leg

a lift/ant climbing a tree = squirrel climbing a tree OR elevator
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

n3mo

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »
ah yeah, the cicada and eagle sounds familiar.
shooting star i always knew as holding the diabolo with a wrap..but grinding at the same time so that you can hold it up to the sky.

Nahxela

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:23:36 AM »

ah yeah, the cicada and eagle sounds familiar.
shooting star i always knew as holding the diabolo with a wrap..but grinding at the same time so that you can hold it up to the sky.
I think that's something like looking up to the sun? I'm not quite sure, never really bothered with that trick...
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:03:58 AM »
Here's a list of 2 diabolo tricks.

SUN
-right/left inside sun
-3/5 point sun
-big sun also known as osiris sun (I think)
-cross stick sun
-front to back suns
-sun to armstall
-sun to knot
TRANSFER
-Vortex = External giving transfer
-Internal giving transfer
-External taking transfer
-Internal taking transfer
(variations of these can be done to armstall....)
FAN
-AC fan = anti clockwise fan = regular basic fan
-C fan = clockwise fan
-S fan = fan with a darkside
-swinging fan
-fan 180/360 etc etc...
-fan laying down
-staircase fan (dunno if anyone has nailed it...)
_____ICIDES
-vortex suicide
-regular suicide
-antisuicide
-mini genocides/ wrapped minigenocides
-armstall suicide
-herr flick
SATELLITE
-around the arm/s
-around the leg
- around the body

Maybe someone can do the starts like rocket starts and all copy and paste it into one post?  

Josh
SPRINKLER

The Vitamin Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 05:38:48 AM »
What is an 3/5 point sun? An explanation? Or better, a video?
The Vitamin Guy

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 08:37:50 PM »
A 3 point sun is just a sun in the front, turn 180, sun in the back, turn another 180, and one more sun and you should come out with an open string.  A 5 point sun is just a 3 point sun w/ right between the arm sun and left between the arm sun.

Josh

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:08:15 AM »
The swinging-type one Josh? I always knew that to be a two sided sun- Like dekels VotW
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

The Vitamin Guy

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
No, I don't think it's that. In this one you turn a 360, unlike the two-sided sun. In it you don't turn at all. And thanks for the explanation J_J777!
The Vitamin Guy

dave from the grave

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:51:39 AM »

STARTS
-rocket start
-wrap start
-flat start
-throw start
-duplex throw start
-hundreds of combo starts
SUN
-right/left inside sun
-3/5 point sun
-big sun also known as osiris sun (I think)
-cross stick sun
-front to back suns
-sun to armstall
-sun to knot
TRANSFER
-Vortex = External giving transfer
-Internal giving transfer
-External taking transfer
-Internal taking transfer
(variations of these can be done to armstall....)
FAN
-AC fan = anti clockwise fan = regular basic fan
-C fan = clockwise fan
-S fan = fan with a darkside
-swinging fan
-fan 180/360 etc etc...
-fan laying down
-staircase fan (dunno if anyone has nailed it...)
_____ICIDES
-vortex suicide
-regular suicide
-antisuicide
-mini genocides/ wrapped minigenocides
-armstall suicide
-herr flick
SATELLITE
-around the arm/s
-around the leg
- around the body
-around the sholders
SPRINKLERS
-left
-right
-wrapped
-sun entry
-double
-triple
-quad
-cinq (and so on)

Beware of the super secret guild of shadow spooners!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »
Am i wrong, or is that list totally pointless?
Isnt the idea to name a bunch of tricks, and then all the other possible names for them?
how is just a long list of tricks going to help anyone with that?

Jester

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 11:18:34 AM »
well spotted
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Nahxela

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »
Am i wrong, or is that list totally pointless?
Isnt the idea to name a bunch of tricks, and then all the other possible names for them?
how is just a long list of tricks going to help anyone with that?

Well it's mainly for people who started with Chinese Yoyos, and came to diaboloing, since a majority of the Chinese yoyo tricks are named from mainly literal translations (or just romanizations) of the Chinese trick names.

pus

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 07:08:58 PM »
Haha.. funny subject!

I remember back when I first discovered diabolo when I was 7. One of the most insane tricks we knew about then was 50-50, witch really just was a regular Grind ;D  I think they called it that inspired from the skateboard grind, 50-50. That's kinda lame though, cause the diabolo grinds at just one point, not two like a skateboard xD

-pus
ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »
Well it's mainly for people who started with Chinese Yoyos, and came to diaboloing, since a majority of the Chinese yoyo tricks are named from mainly literal translations (or just romanizations) of the Chinese trick names.

right, but how does it help anyone?
The idea is to name all the tricks, and what they are also called.  A huge list of tricks wont help the crossover if they have no idea what they are.

Or am i missing something.  Can someone help me.

n3mo

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 11:23:08 PM »
hm thats more of a dictionary than a thesaurus...i was hoping for alternate names of tricks (especially common ones...there probably isn't a traditional chinese name for comparatively newer areas like vertax and integrals). I had trouble adjusting to the terminology, and wanted to help any other fellow chinese yoyo-ers (is that a word? =D) out.

Nahxela

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 07:00:05 PM »
right, but how does it help anyone?
The idea is to name all the tricks, and what they are also called.  A huge list of tricks wont help the crossover if they have no idea what they are.

Or am i missing something.  Can someone help me.

It helped me ._.

Erm... Let me try to rephrase what I was trying to originally say: This thread is for those who came to diabolos after yoyoing with Chinese Yoyos, and so they know a number of tricks, but the names of the tricks they know for Chinese Yoyo are different than the ones used for Diabolos.

It's kind of like how someone from a foreign country is a diaboloist(sp?) and knows all the names in their language, which don't necessarily translate properly into English.
For example, the French name for the Suicide trick is "laché," meaning release, so if a Diaboloist from France who didn't know the English translated trick names might be more than a bit confused...
Same thing for Chinese people, i.e. Lift/Elevator tricks are called "Ant/squirrel Climbing a Tree," and if they read the trick name "lift," then they wouldn't know what it actually is, unless they asked around or spent tedious work to find an explanation, so that's what this thread is for: to allow people to know what names are synonymous to each other and to allow people to communicate with people more effectively

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal