Author Topic: 2D Chinese Whipping  (Read 20012 times)

Alex

2D Chinese Whipping
« on: January 22, 2005, 03:17:56 AM »
Right now, all I can do to pick up speed with two diabolos is backwraps and hovers.  I keep seeing people doing multiple whips, and would love to learn it.  I have tried, but the other diabolo always flies off the string.

What is the secret to this trick?

Sean

• Administrator
Re: 2D Chinese Whipping
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 05:06:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Alex. :D

There are many variations on 2 diabolo repetitive whips. I can think of the vertical, horizontal, and circular whips right now. Probably most common is the vertical whip. Strangely, the most efficient seems to be the horizontal whip, but it's not nearly as nice looking.

For all of these whips you must move your non-dominant hand (left for most people) in a way that keeps the stationary diabolo stationary. For the vertical whip, the non-dominant hand must do the opposite of what the dominant whipping hand does. Partly it has to be relaxed and partly it might help to think of it as a wave motion. Same as if you were doing an exagerated 1 diabolo chinese whip.

I think there are two main variations of the vertical whip. A large smooth variation (popularized by Yabe I think) where the non-dominant hand deliberately does the opposite of the dominant hand and the fast jerky variation (popularized by Trash I think) where the non-dominant hand totally relaxes and lets itself get moved around as necessary.

Here's some footage of that large smooth vertical variation that I happened to have on my computer:

http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/sean_2d_chinese_whip_large.mpg  (1mb)

(Watch the left hand closely.)

Maybe I'll film a short clip of all the variations I can think of next time I've got the camera out. The whip can be even larger than it is in that video... but at some point it just becomes ridiculous. ;)

Sean

staticjuggler

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 03:53:54 PM »
I know what you're talking about, but I do them a different way. My way only allows 4 up and down whipping motions, such as 2 up, 2 down.

You backwrap 1 diabolo and let the other fly up about 2 feet above your head. While the 1 is in the air, do vertical chinese whipping. Then catch the other and resume. I've been trying to figure out a way to do chinese orbits while the other is in the air, but they are way too slow unless you pop the other diabolo really high.

Static
www.staticjuggler.com

How mad would a wood chuck get if a big neon pink Koala bear named Ishtar ran into the woods and chucked all the wood before the woodchuck could chuck the wood?

Alex

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 06:11:11 PM »
Sean: Thanks, that video helped a lot.  I knew it must be something with the left hand, but I never saw anyone moving it that much.  The diabolo still bounces off the string a little bit, but that's just practice, I suppose.

pedrojuggles

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:58:32 PM »
at the club where i juggle, two diabolos is becoming reltively normal for most diaboloists. all of the people i see doing two just kinda pop one a lil higher, do a chinese whip really fast with their right hand and stick and then unwrap and get the shuffle going on.
And the Lord said let there be light, and I responded "Turn it on yourself, I'm juggling!"

nev

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 03:20:35 PM »
Any chance of a re-post of that vid sean?

I'm struggling like hell to get this solid - 4 up & down is the best I can muster and it usually goes wrong at about 2.  Mine is the short jerky varient at the moment (non dominant relaxed - not activly moving) though I much prefer the look of the longer one which is my goal here.  The open diab is ok but I can't seem to control the one I'm whipping very well.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 04:34:24 PM »
Maybe my tutorial will help? I tried to explain backwrapping every pass and chinese acceleration. You can find the thread here: http://diabolo.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9092#9092

Good luck!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 04:58:40 PM »
Already have that vid Martijn - helped me a LOT in learning BW every pass so thanks for that.  Just wanting more vids of Chinese Whips - not that yours doesnt show it - I just cant get it.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 05:48:05 PM »
Right, a video doesn't always have to mean you can learn from it. I didn't know you already saw it. Great to hear it helped with bw's every pass. Glad I could help! :)

Sean will propably re-upload the clip this week. I think it's all down to practise though :wink:. In the beginning, this method wasn't helping for me at all, cause I couldn't do it properly.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 01:37:30 PM »
I find it easier if I whip up and to the right then down and to the left rather than trying to go straight up and down. I use the small jerky whip by the way.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 03:05:22 PM »
Right, I just reposted it.

http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/sean_2d_chinese_whip_large.mpg

My whipping has changed significantly since that video... but hopefully it will help.

I think the most important thing is to completely relax the non-dominant hand and let it get whipped back and forth as needed. I focus my attention on the stationary diabolo and do whatever is necessary with my non-dominant hand to keep that diabolo as still as possible.

It's that stationary diabolo that tells you how you're doing and what you need to adjust (and whether it's going to smack you in the face when the whipped diabolo wraps up!)

nev

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 03:46:39 PM »
Many thanks for the re-post

Quote from: Sean
It's that stationary diabolo that tells you how you're doing and what you need to adjust (and whether it's going to smack you in the face when the whipped diabolo wraps up!)

Yep had that happen a few times - I tend to whip further away from my body now due to 'the fear' ouch - that may be part of the problem.

Maybe I need a crash helmet :lol:

jia

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 10:08:49 AM »
Why when i do the chinese acecelerate, the left hand side diabolo will fall down, other condition is right diabolo will slide near the left diabolo and finally touch the left one?
jia

fredo

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 11:03:38 AM »
Oh come on, just have ONE look through the trick and video archive-sticky!

here's a video tut: Tijns speed wrap tutorial

and here the thread about it...

it's like the third topic you opened like this one... :roll:

mod edit - merged

Roland

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 04:07:27 AM »
I started learning these a few days ago, and it seems to work pretty well...
however, the diabolo being accelerated seems to turn right and lean forwards.
maybe it's because I'm not aligning right yet, or maybe my string is too thick.
help or advice?
Oh and for some reciprocation, I found that pulling the left hand also to the left instead of just up is pretty important.
and practice timing of moving left hand and right hand...

monkiatzu

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:15 AM »
wait can circular accelerations and horizontal be done with 2d?
heres wat i can do, i speed one diabolo, throw the next one in and speed it up with the chinses vertical pretty nicely
when i try to speed the original one it wraps up the string. WHY!!?? its driving me crazy
Also, im trying the continuos acceleration with the chinese vertical, i can do around 3, the one not being sped up flies off too fast. Please give me some advice :'( could holding the stick from the middle help?

Chris
(so much to learn)

Scooby

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 03:05:10 AM »
I started learning these a few days ago, and it seems to work pretty well...
however, the diabolo being accelerated seems to turn right and lean forwards.
maybe it's because I'm not aligning right yet, or maybe my string is too thick.
help or advice?
Oh and for some reciprocation, I found that pulling the left hand also to the left instead of just up is pretty important.
and practice timing of moving left hand and right hand...

Your Diabolo is turning when you whip it because of the back-wrap. this is because there is more string contact on the back side of the wrap than the front side. this is common when backwrapping.

i suggest hitting the diabolo's back cup in place with your stick, which is a form of axis correction that i use most.

and you are right about your left hand. if the left hand doesnt move then when you speed up your backwrapped diabolo in your right hand, your diabolo in your left hand position will fall off.
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!

monkiatzu

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 08:40:36 AM »
thanks again (btw ur inbox is full)

Scooby

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 08:54:46 AM »
Cheers.

No Problems!
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Aaron Z

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »
Dear god accelerating 2-D's is difficult to learn... yeesh.

Anyways- here's my experience so far:
I just been practicing right into 2D'CWA' (Chinese Whip Acceleration) immediately after gaining some stable spin with a wrap start, I have one diabolo spinning quickly on the string, get my second into a RH-BW (Right-hand backwrap) and give it a little hover to get it fairly stable.
From there I (Without unwrapping it) get it as high-up the string as possible and begin a firm CWA on the wrapped second diabolo, a slightly rightward up-and-down medium-strength whip.
Habitually I raise my left hand about half a meter above my whipping right hand, and then try to get into a pattern:
Right hand snaps up - Left hand streaks leftward, diagonally upward (More so leftward).

Unfortunately, the movements of my left hand seem to usually propel the 1st, unwrapped diabolo off the string and away from me, it also rolls considerably close to the diabolo being whipped (Because of the raised left hand?) and so is heavily influenced by the strong movement of the string nearer the diabolo being whipped.

I'm desperate to get a solid acceleration method before proceeding to practice tricks made frustrating by slow diabolos, all I know ATM is an unreliable Hook Catch and a short sprinkler, both of which would be made easier with fast-spinning diabolos.
I'd happy make a short video demonstrating my current 2DCWA, if that is of any use...  ;)
Thankyou!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal