Author Topic: Differences in the playing-technique: Bearing/Normal  (Read 6442 times)

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
Differences in the playing-technique: Bearing/Normal
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:50:47 PM »
hi everone!
in times of hightech diabolos like the Flys, bearing diabolos get more common...

which tricks are only possible with bearings, which are only possible with fixed axles, which are easier and which are harder with bearings - and how can you convert tricks from one to another...

like:
stingclimb - only with fixed axles (right?)
2d transfers - easier with fixed axles
sprinkler - easier with fixed axles
sfan - easier with bearings
antispin tricks  - easier with bearings
vertax generally - easier with bearings

and so on...

how do you handle late 2d backwraps with bearings, and that stuff - just collect your thoughts about the differences in playingstyle and technique in this thread..

thank you,
Peter

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

looby

• Donator
Re: Differences in the playing-technique: Bearing/Normal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:00:25 PM »
You beat me to it Peter! ;)

I've had a bit of a dabble with the fly bearing diabolos and noticed a couple of things. 

It's quite suprising how much the bearings affect even the basic 2d shuffle.  Even with a lot of momentum, the shuffle always feels as i it is dying.  I didnt think the string climb aspect would have an affect but I really miss the sprinkler wrap exit  :( as well as using the string climb for armstall variations and anything else that comes to mind. 

Maybe its just me but I see the bearing diabolo as perfect for 1 diabolo tricks but struggling if it was to be incorporated into a general 2 diabolo routine.  Some of you who prefer 2d fans and 2d whips may disagree but I feel if someone wishes to develop their 2d trick base, fixed axles will provide a much easier base for nailing various groups of tricks.

It's an interesting topic though and I'm liking the ideas for new tricks such as axle grabbing and the opportunity for developing new grind combos as a result of the bearing axle.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
yes 2d is really completely different with bearings but not harder or easier i think its just different... and the bearings open a huge bunch of tricks where you just put a wrap on the diab and let the stick loose:

===----,         Hand
                        \      /  \
                          \  /      \
                          (o)       (o)----=== <-stick

you can swing the diab with the stick and try crazy things like 2d integrals and 2d infinites, but also for 1d its a cool thing that you can do this without killing the spin immedeately... dont want to think about 3d, there are more competent people out there ;)

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 11:06:06 AM »
for training the 3d shuffle, is it harder to use the bearings? im so bad in 3d, i cant tell... 3dexperts plz help!

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:45:59 AM »
for training the 3d shuffle, is it harder to use the bearings? im so bad in 3d, i cant tell... 3dexperts plz help!

I have run three with bearings without much trouble.  It felt very different, and I haven't put much time into it, so it still feels very unusual when I try it.  But that's not necessarily a difference in difficulty.  The wrap start is no harder.

Because three is so difficult to learn, I think fixed axles are a good thing - a bearinged diabolo might continue to spin when you're not generating enough power from the shuffle, while a fixed axle will give much more immediate feedback.  If I'm doing something wrong, I want to be able to work out how to do it right, and I think that bearings will unhelpfully cover mistakes up.

I'd not recommend bearings for learning three.  But they'll probably open up possibilities for people who have already learned three.

It's like only being able to drive an automatic.  You'd only have to learn a subset of the necessary skills.

Dan

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 12:24:39 PM »
I find it hard to do mini-genocides and genocides in any combination with bearing fly's.  It just seems to slide off the string.  Also suicides of every sort become harder because i never seem to get the response to bring it back to a normal position. 

With 2d i miss being able to enter a fan from sprinkler exiting with a wrap and other transfers like vortex.  But if i manage to get into a fan i can hold it for way longer than fixed axles.

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »
thanks, dave... seems that nev will get a new order very soon ;D

you are right, dan! at the beginning all stick releases feel very different but after a while it gets familiar it think...

is there a way to do 2d transfers with bearings or are they just impossible?

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 05:45:30 PM »
You can do stuff like votexs but you have to put alot more pressure on the swinging diab and push the wrapped diab over a bit. Theyre always a bit dodgy...
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

nev

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
OK - rather than talking about it - why not just go out and experiment with them - its much more fun just creating new stuff all by yourself  8).

That said - virtually everything is possible - just needs a different technique.  I now find transfers easier with bearings than fixed - Btw - yes transfers are more than possible + you can do anti-shuffle transfers also  ::)

There are also several ways of getting straight from a sprinkler to a fan for instance.

I have a couple of video projects in the pipeline which will show a few more techniques etc.
One has been in planning since before "Hot Teen On Cam" so I purposely held a lot of stuff back from making an appearance in Hot Teen.

Hopefully I'll get off my arse and film again soon.

Till then - experiment and above all - have fun with trying the impossible - you never know !!!
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 08:10:29 PM »
yeah, just came back from hours of experimenting - but my flys are just to new and i was way too excited to relearn tricks that i already can do, haha the new possibilitys are so overwhelming :)

hmm, i still want to know how to handle a backwrap that slipped down on the string too far (2d)...

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 12:26:27 AM »
i only just got a yoho superspin (for free ;D). old school yoho! i havent gotten use to it yet. its annoying when you put it on the wrong way  :Ddoesnt work so good. string climbing tricks are the most obvious that dont work. its great for webs and stalls

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »
Yeah and whats great about Superspins is they let out barely any noise. Cause Superspins don't actually have a bearing- They have a clutch system.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 05:48:21 AM »
Yeah and whats great about Superspins is they let out barely any noise. Cause Superspins don't actually have a bearing- They have a clutch system.
yeh i noticed that, its so small. ive been doing vertax with it, so much easier. is the clutch system better than normal bearings?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »
I dunno. Personal Preference?
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »

hmm, i still want to know how to handle a backwrap that slipped down on the string too far (2d)...

If its a left backwrap, there is no way of geting out of it, as you can not elevator because the clutch wont allow it, say it was for a fan, you need to have other entrances, the one most like a left backwrap is probably a trapese entrance, but i still prefer armstall entrances. This was probably the thing i found most anoying when i started playing with the flys, but you get used to it quickly.

Now, after a couple of months with my flys i have realised there are so many posibilities with the bearing axle, you just need to find them :D
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 12:47:21 PM »
If its a left backwrap, there is no way of geting out of it

Oh yes there is - and you can also get to fan from it in a rather nice way - I'll leave you to find these things for yourselves though - I wouldn't want to spoil your fun  ::)
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 12:51:54 PM »
Haha, i stand corrected!
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 10:55:38 PM »
i ignored your tip to learn 3d without the bearings, Barnesy(at least until i get my next 3 flys ;)) - im just to lazy to change the flys to the fixed mode everyday and i only have 2 of each kind of my other diabolos...

however, here my question:
is it neccesary to move the left or right hand more to keep the (3d)shuffle going when i use the bearings? because of the bearings the diabs dont move on the string by itself, i know this from 2d, it needs a slightly more circular motion with the right hand to get a big 2d shuffle with the bearings... is there anything to keep in mind when doing 3d with bearings?

yes i have tried to keep the amount of the word "bearing" as low as possible  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal