Author Topic: BJC 2008  (Read 61705 times)

fat_hampster

• VotW Contributor
Re: BJC 2008
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
The Convention was really great, learned a fair few new things, (though mostly with staff rather than diabolo)

The Public Show was also brilliant, the highlights of which have already been pointed out.
And learning dice stacking was brilliant.
I also had a go on a ripstick on the last day, which was also great fun.

I may have gone a bit overboard with spending on diabolo stuff though, buying 5 diabolos, 3 sets of handsticks, and all of Donald Grant's books.  :P

looby

• Donator
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »
I just typed a 40 minute recap only to see it somehow dissapear in front of my very eyes!!

Unbelievable, but in summary:

-  Hitting the 24 hours even during toilet time, teeth brushing was attempted but it was hot water, oh no no.
-  Raising £242.43 during the convention making a total of £564.74 in total so far.
-  GT and Melissa helping no end with the fundraising, big love to you both.
-  Banter.....endless banter.
-  The public show was quality.
-  Jacob and Nate.  Professional but still humble and very decent chaps.  Cheers for the business card gents, a wicked little addition.  Congrats for doing your duo act justice, although San Maru was 'it' in the show your act was absolutely sublime and it was nice to see the back to front vertax passing getting a 'whoa' from a couple of rows back.
-  Sunday's 7am McDonald's visit, it went down well.
-  Figuring out some double handstick stuff.
-  Getting some 2d grinds down.
-  Being a number one seed for the first time ever!  Qualified the Kendama speed trick list in 37 seconds, 7 seconds faster than second seed.

Lows:

-  Weather.  Even with a beanie, cords, two shirts and jumper on, I was shivering in my sleeping bag every night.  What makes it worse is waking up in the morning to a sauna in effect.
-  Feeling s**te throughout most of the 'thon', boredom, repetition etc.
-  Still not nailing a 2d seesaw grind.  Getting there but slowly.
-  Jacob missing his 2 high genocide trick.  I think it's safe to say everyone here really wanted it to land and I felt bad the audience didn't get to see it in all its glory.  But....bravo on the 3 high adjustment to the centre stage.  It was sick seeing the last diabolo just peek above the rafters only to see it drop back into the pattern.  Definitely a diaboloist appreciation moment right there.
-  Royally ****ing up the Kendama championship and the speed trick finals.  Damn nerves.

Sweet stuff in general, cheers for making the experience guys.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

The Void

« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2008, 07:00:31 PM »
My photos are here.

The Void
Flagging
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »
my summary that hasnt been said so far hopefully

Great points- meeting new and old faces again .ca and more
                  mini .ca swim was amazing in every way.
                  asda being across the road
                  donalds Shepards poi joke
                  went to nicks slack and dave p's click workshops

Bad points -  haveing an ankle the size of a grapefruit from wednesday till sun and not having the brain power to go to the medics
                  didnt get very much diaboloing done though i did get to learn a string rejection and the suicide grind both of which are fantastic
                  missed all but 2 workshops which i'm pretty gutted about
                 Eric the finale of the public show not being on form (due to having lost all of his equipment inc shoes/balls/costume) as he was absolutely amazing at chocfest

theres loads and loads more, i'm sure i'll add extra points later

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »
ah yes, i missed out that major thanks need to be given to Funty as he saver our skins from missing our train by him giving us a lift.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »
always a pleasure :)

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »
was an awesome convention, my first time diaboloing in a fair bit. I had a great time, a met loads of new diaboloist as well as catching up with ones that i already knew. There is lots to say, but i think Duncan has already done this very well ;D, it was great meeting the sharps brothers who are both really nice guys.

Highs:

Seeing Jacob sharps pull off every trick i told him to try, including 42 around leg, and arm, and feed the big sun. Also some cool passing involving the balcony.
Pulling off a number a 3d vortex's with clean runs after, doing 2 in a row on my first two attempts, although i haven't worked on it.
3d racing up stairs
The main show, highlights including sharps and the Japanese guy!!
Byjoty best trick, were a got a little trophy.

Lows:

non really except the weather and feeling sick after McDonald's
Only staying for 3days, missing wed and sun

I have a low quality 3d vortex that David sent to me that i might upload it.
and congrats for the 24 hour diabolothon

(first post in ages)
Zack
zack turner

Beni

« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
I'm so jealous :(.
What did San Maru actually do (propwise)?
Was the diabolothon 1d or 2d?

Beni

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »
Also an important note

I have found a pair of olobaid's light sticks in my bag (sorry for accidentally stealing them) so pm if they're yours and i'll post them to you.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »
Must be my sticks! :P

Sounds like I missed too much, but looking back now I think it was probably a good idea I didn't go (health wise.) I suppose there's always next year eh?

I look forward to seeing some videos and stuff,

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

seán_

« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »
I really enjoyed that. Work meant I missed out on all the workshops and a lot of the sessioning (either through commitments or tiredness) but I still got to do plenty of diaboloing whilst there.

Nice to meet up with everyone again (new and old), glad to see Zack bothered to turn up, hopefully you'll get of your arse and start diaboloing properly again. Pleasure to see how well Ben was doing as well.

Shalafi, hope I was able to help you somewhat with vortex and mini c's, in fact I hope people were ok with what I came up with during GToms workshop, It was all of the cuff and I find teaching string control particularly awkward. GT said people seemed happy enough about it but as long as I haven't done any harm :)

A big thanks to people who fed me, gave me drinks, popped along to chat whilst I was working (and bought stuff making me look good to Annie and Steff).

A big shame on you to whomsoever decided to use my taibolo sticks (that I could have sworn I put in my 'ass'ass bag) leaving me without them for a day only to find them in the lost property with grotty string and lots of scratches and chips. Use my gear if you need to but do your best to treat it with respect and dont just dump it so I have to search the whole hall for it.
A big thanks to Bens [flirt] elder sister [\flirt] for keeping an eye out for diabolo stuff in the property cart.

Kudos to Loobie for doing the 24 hrs (and GT for doing a good proprtion of it, Mel for supplying cakey goodness)

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
100% official convention review.

Thank god somebody mentioned the beautiful mz Morgan before me.

okay as I am now back in Ranger cottage, the fire is roaring my faithful dog Steve is asleep on the rug. I have time to recount some memories.

For the first time ever! more diaboloists that you can shake a tiabolo stick at! [then dump it in lost property when the novelty runs off]. Their was such a strong contingent I don’t think we fully all got together at any point.

a few interesting things. As you can see by hathaways vid 1] I'm a  average yet stylish diaboloist and 2] I have a handle bar, this gives a man a certain amount of respect from his peers therefore I ended up organizing a games marathon that compensated for every convention ever and probably forever. gems such as -full body contact gladiators for infinate suicides/vertax/2 D 

If you ever want to see a woman regretting supporting a man in his interests, I think this years diabolo wags illustrated a point. So special mention to all the girlfriends, espeically garners who basically looked like a sleeping columbian street child by the diabolo jam on saturday. poor poor girl.

loosing 40p to looby backing Jacob sharp in the ancient and noble who can run up the stairs during 3 low races. I forgive him for having the balls to attempt that 2D genocide high thing on stage big props.

things that were awsome
8 pound bottles of whisky!
the diabolo.ca swimming trip
2am diabolo take over of renegade stage
langezezsez beer which I drank allot of
nev
mel for organizing muffins
spink/funty/ginger tom /langerz/the mods/hath/darragh/paul/chiok/tom/suzzaname/trebeleo/johnb/garner/mofro/sharpes/lots of diaboloists I forgotten
baby bono
me and darragh failing to imitate zack and the jacob by passing between the hall and the balcony
saying "ITZ  OKKAY"
looby, inventive tricks, heart of gold  If it wasn’t for his alcolism and firey temper i would marry him.
not having to deal with the glasto mud by camping on the hill.

things that would have sucked if i took life more seriously

the sharps showing me what can be achieved by clean living  ;D.
waking up with the top of my tent 50 meters away
some child calling me and trebelo gypsies on the first day! I was relatively clean! hehe
managing to miss the .ca poker got to play with barnsey though.
borgman not talking during his act
missing workshops and not practicing enough but i rekon you gotta just go with the flow on at conventions.

As a hole I found the convention well run, things like the size of the hall and the weather let it down slightly compared to last year, but then again you had a asda and a swimming pool.

Hope to see all my buds at the next convention!

Ow and passepasse suck I recommend.

-diabolomoves/butterfingers/oddballs for all your juggling needs.   

mofro

• Donator
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »
i had fun.

simplisity is a virtue.

(spink, will(alex!) mr BMC, matt, Nick, funty, ginger tom, paul, trebeleo(we makez moviez no?) sharpes(both))=absolout leg-ends

the fromo-(for you alex)
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

allsoppy5

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »
how do you post pictures onto the forum?
hehe I still don't know!

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
Press the "insert image" picture and paste the link.

allsoppy5

« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2008, 06:54:27 PM »
Press the "insert image" picture and paste the link.

what if it is on my documents and not on internet?

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »
Try uploading them somewhere. (eg. imageshack.us)

allsoppy5

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »
ok thanks

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2008, 07:11:32 PM »
If you have many photos, try something like
http://picasaweb.google.com/
or
http://www.flickr.com/
and post a link to the album
or... better yet - how about using the forum gallery up there?

allsoppy5

« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »

woohoo done it! lol
that is Funty and Duncan. Funty has 12 diabolos balanced on his head... 12!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal