Author Topic: Too Early for 2d (and vertax)?  (Read 8248 times)

jaigoda

Re: Too Early for 2d (and vertax)?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 04:21:06 PM »
I was currently using an approximately half-week-old string that had gone to a light brown. I just switched my string, though. Also, should I try to do sharper pulls? Or maybe not as hard pulls? This whole thing is so confusing! ??? Well, maybe someone will help me out at the convention I'm going to on Saturday (I finally found a place).

Midoryu

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 04:55:53 AM »
I want to start doing vertax, but like jaigoda, I keep having trouble, particularly which direction to turn in, and what positions my arms should be in.  I tried to do it, but it just ends up flying off the string like our buddy here.  What should I do?  Where should my right arm and left arm be?  How often should I snap and turn?  How should you balance the snap and turn so that you won't oversnap or overturn?
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Aaron Z

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 02:24:04 PM »
Sorry to interject here, I guessed it'd be suitable to ask my questions here  :-\

Anyways, for Christmas this year I got a second Finesse G3, and for the 4 following days I've been lightly (Around 20 minutes a day) practicing 2D. I've mostly practiced starting with a personal variation of a right Throw-In, but have intermittently attempted Wrap-Starts.

So far, I've been having frustrating problems with both starts, with throw-ins I infrequently get it right, and there seems to be little consistency in my throws; they usually fly to far forward/backward or to the left/right or just have no spin on the thrown diabolo, or it wobbles out of control in the air.

With loop starts, I feel very awkward setting the string around the axle. I wrap the string like a would a normal right-hand wrap with one diabolo, A usual wrap, not a backside wrap, is this right? - and then I feel even more awkward trying to position my hand on the diabolo and trying to give it some stable spin before releasing it and trying to accelerate it further with my right stick before unwrapping into a shuffle.
- The only part of the loop start i get correct is up to trying to spin the diabolo by hand before releasing it, it turns and drops into the first diabolo and I don't know how I'm supposed to accelerate it; do I just quickly tug at the string or do a few quick-short Chinese Snaps?

Also, every once in a while when I properly capture a  throw in, I'm just so surprised it worked that I forget to start trying to aid the shuffle and just watch it auto-shuffle a few times before grinding to a stop, so I've made little progress  :(

Should I just keep on practicing? How did others progress?

TomMiller

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 03:15:15 PM »
keep trying, as with the wrap start try to relax yourself more,never give up i know how fustrating it can be
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

tipiphil

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »
Can't comment on throw starts as so far they have eluded me too...

With wrap starts, you want a right back wrap on the second diabolo, so when you unwrap it by swinging clockwise it ends up unwrapped.  Personally I just give it some spin with the hand and then unwrap it straight away before it has a chance to slip too far down (with new Henry's yellow string it can get very frustrating!!)

And finally... Yes keep practising, you'll get there soon.

Good luck.

Aaron Z

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 01:21:23 AM »
Thanks a lot for the help ;D

Just to clarify, I wrap the second diabolo by pulling the string down over it's axle and continuing around in a full clockwise arc?

Aaron Z

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »
Is a backwrap a;
'Right-Hand wrap' that you'd usually do with one diabolo, or a right-hand BACKWRAP which is wrapping the string down and over the axle of a diabolo?

Or is it one of the the variations of a right-hand wrap in which you either:
1. (with the 1st diabolo spinning, open axle on the string already) place your 2nd diabolo inside your string, and wrap your string around the axle going around the near of far cup?

I'm having difficulty explaining this, to simplify it could someone please make a detailed, close-up video of a backwrap from a preferably over-shoulder perspective? :D

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 12:09:19 AM »
Like a normal right handed wrap. Around the near cup. I'll find a video somewhere..
Get Diabology ;)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Aaron Z

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 02:32:33 AM »
OK, thanks  :P

Also, is there a special method for quickly and smoothly wrapping the 2nd diabolo?
At the moment I hold the far cup with my right hand, both sticks forked in my left hand- 1st diabolo spinning; then after reaching around the string with my right hand, I put the axle on the string and move the diabolo to put it into a Right-Hand-Wrap, then I have to rest the diabolo against my chest so I can let go of the far cup and instead grab the near cup and give it a spin before releasing...

That whole process is pretty quick, but it doesn't look great.

Beni

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
You don't have to balance it on your chest; you have enough time to quickly grab the near cup.
However, I'm a near cup thrower but I start 2d with the near cup. You'll find you hardly need any spin at all to get going — cold starts aren't very hard. Some people give spin to the axle but it sounds like you're not one of them. Of course, all these methods work, and learning them all is easy enough once you've got your most comfortable one solid, but near cup is a bit messy.

Beni

Midoryu

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 05:23:55 AM »
Hey, "Aaron - 'Squiddo' - Z", it sound like you haven't really got the "feel" for the shuffle yet.  Not that I'm in a position to say so myself, but I think the main point of getting 2d is to make your muscles remember the RIGHT movements.  Which means, yes, practice makes perfect.
But there is another way...(Haven't been on for a long time, so my progress is outdated...)

-Practice just throwing your diabolo until it can turn smoothly and without wobbling.  I have NEVER thrown a ball more than 10 metres, so the least I could do was to make the diabolo spin smoothly

-Imagine yourself standing on a grid.  Or, if you're not on tiles but on carpets, use the biggest ruler you can find and make parallel marks in the carpet.  And voila, instant guidelines to restrict your throws within the ruler marks.

-A little bit on your shuffle is, practice leg orbits.  Then, DON'T USE YOUR LEFT HAND (assuming you're right-handed).  That way, it forces only your right hand to move the diabolo.  The result should give you a scoop with your hand down and up to spin the diabolo.  This is the biggest key in 2d, is the motion of your hands to scoop the diabolo down.  notice pranay's or the Sharpe brothers' right hand movements when they are doing 2d.  You'll notice that they are actually pushing downwards.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that you're an idiot, nor do I want to, so if you already know all of this, then I would suggest a throw start.  If it knocks into your 1st diabolo, tough.  It'll just come naturally to you, so don't worry.

Maybe I should put this in the proper thread...
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

luabduch

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »
I have learned 2d with 2 months and a little of a lot of practice per day.
vertax i just learned 2 weeks ago.

first try to learn genocides, tomicides, infinite suicide and some basic integral suicide variations.
I did it in my trainings...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal