Author Topic: Taibolo Diabolos (Gong-Qun)  (Read 81612 times)

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: NEW DIABOLO'S - Grand Contenental Diabolo (Tiabolo brand)
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 08:07:59 PM »
It seems we have several people on this forum that are developing gear, or distributing gear. It would be cool if they joined up and started a online shop that had all of their really cool gear. Just a thought...

I can't wait till I get paid, I'm going to get some Fly's and some of these along with a couple of the Circus's and JC's hubs and hardware, and some diamond sticks ;D. All of their stuff is so shiny I just want all of it!
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 11:34:27 PM »
@ JC - OK I do understand your point of view - however I also believe that this design came about completely independently from your own - I know the company was producing diabolos with a similar "concaved" curve for many many years before your Henry's kits - Taiwanese diaboloists will be well aware of these - though they are a differant cup shape - the curve of the cup leads to a large curved brass axle

From my recollection Norbi posted decent photos of these a while back (which are since offline) - the best I could find are

As William was still using one of these for 1d when he was using Yoho's for 2, 3d - it follows (in my mind) that his design was one which had the traditional Taiwanese axle shape in mind, combined with a continental cup shape - not a copy - just the same idea from a different prospective.

Independent trick invention is definitely not unheard of & my homemade stick designs share a lot in common with those of Chiok (without any contact of knowledge of them) - My light up sticks had a lot in common with Peters early designs - again without any knowledge of these sticks....... so - the same idea's will come up from different sources from time to time.

That said.....

The diabolo "camping session" was a complete thunderstorm washout - I got to play a little with very wet string - so cant comment yet on the true playability - I'll give them an indoor workout at Juggling club tomorrow and let you all know ;)

Still shiny though  ;D

Oh & cheers to Mark for covering my back :-*.

Nev
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

seán_

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 12:52:34 AM »
...though concave curves aren't unknown in western diabolos either

albeit the curves arent as agressive as JC's and the playability of these particular diabolos is woefull.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 01:31:50 AM »
OK Folks

so after the weekend washout - I (and others ;)) gave these a good workout tonight - & In an unconventional way, I'll review them with a series of quotes:-

Non diaboloist No. 1 "ohh, I've never seen diabolos that shine before!"
Non diaboloist No. 2 "christ Nev, how many diabolos do you need?" (ignore that one) "but thats a damn fine looking prop"
Non diaboloist No. 3 "There must be something good about those - everyone who's come in has had a good look"

In short - They look damn fine folks

1st Diaboloist to arrive "Arh, so these are the fabled grand continentals then,  Oh they feel really light - damn they are shiny" (picking one up in hand) - "ooohh they feel really smooth" (playing with one) "they feel like diabigs but lighter" (Playing with 2) "Damn it I cant afford new diabolos but..." - coming from someone who tried and didn't buy the Flys - "I can only justify new props when I get the wow factor - the Flys didn't quite do that but these certanly do - please save me these colours (Black & White)"
2nd Diabolist to arrive "God that colour (purple) is amaising - it looks like there's an oily film over it - it just changes colour in the light" & after playing & seeing his face, his girlfriend said "no - you cant buy more diabolos, but if you ever buy ME a diabolo (Not that I want one, but If you ever do) - I want that purple one"

Thats it I'm afraid as only me & 2 others tonight - I'll give you my (unbiased) thoughts
People that love Circus (with POM hubs) and/or diabigs are gonna love these - they feel so smooth on the string, look great & are nice and stable.  The slightly wider (than a circus or diabig) axle means that they can handle 2 or 3 x wraps fine with newish string - I like this feature as it opens up fresh trick areas.  They grind as long & well as expected both finger or stick due to the design.  The bigger diameter axle (about the same as a diabig) means they get up to speed quickly - but the reduced weight means then maintain spin less (again somewhere between diabig / circus).  The cup material is also somewhere between the two - Its damn shiny, but holds up much better that the Fly's for example on concrete etc - again I'd say they are better than a diabig on concrete but not as good as a circus for resisting marks and scratches. 

Above all - theses diabolos feel very smooth, gain speed fast, & are very stable

The only downside I can think of now is that the purple ones I used tonight left purple marks all over the wooden floor (and my alu sticks) - the diabolos themselves are still shiny  ;D- but it seems (at least when they are new) that anything they touch turns to purple.
(just to prove this is unbiased)

Cheers
Nev

Are the inside of the cups different colours like William's?

No - William puts stickers on the inside of his - the stock diabolo is all one colour.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

nev

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 09:06:46 PM »
Ok folks - the replacement colour for the Green apparently has not yet been decided upon.

If anyone has suggestions as to what colour they would like to see in a diabolo, - I'll pass the most popular choices on to the manufacturers  8).

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 09:31:50 PM »
Hmm, good description there nev, you've got me really considering a pair now ;)

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 09:41:42 PM »
Yellow! or Pink! or glow?
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

martijn

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 09:53:36 PM »
Yellow and (manly ;D) pink would be my suggestions as well :)

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »
Pink again, a really bright pink like the flys, or maybe brown, you never get brown diabs these days...
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 09:57:25 PM »
manly pink? thats a new one! but why would you want it manly, unless there was somthing to hide :o Jokes! :D
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

onewheeldave

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 10:27:34 PM »
Ok folks - the replacement colour for the Green apparently has not yet been decided upon.

If anyone has suggestions as to what colour they would like to see in a diabolo, - I'll pass the most popular choices on to the manufacturers  8).

Turquoise

martijn

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »
Pink again, a really bright pink like the flys, or maybe brown, you never get brown diabs these days...

Maybe because brown is... ugly? It makes us human beings think of something we don't wanna associate our beloved diabolos with :P

nev

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 12:14:18 AM »
So which pink are you guys thinking of ? - the Fly comes in 2 pinks

My choice would be the darker one!

Dan

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 01:18:11 AM »
My choice would be the lighter pink since i think the darker one is a little OTT and looks slightly more tacky.  Thats my opinion though and im guessing others will have similar and different views.  Is there a metalic blue colour for the Contenental diabs?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 02:27:40 AM »
Green like finesse but brighter! If you want a brown diabolo go smear yours in mud.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

martijn

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2007, 08:44:02 AM »
Hard to choose Nev, I like them both... but I don't think I like the glitter on the bright pink one. So yeah, I'll go with you on the dark one.

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »
I'd say the light pink but without all the glitter (thats only good in flys)

Maybe because brown is... ugly?

A nice light brown wouldn't be too bad, and it would go well with green diabs ::)

Or maybe even gold. A shiny gold diab would look nice!
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »
I played with these at the BJC too, definately a must have purchase, even though i dont really play diab anymore, i thought i'd add my 2 pence. THEY ****ING ROCK! ahem. Laters
GT
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2007, 06:08:23 PM »
Argh - and I just bought the flys!!! It is nice to have money for groceries, rent, etc.! :P

Sigh, I will debate getting set of these... although I find it hard to imagine something nicer than the flys.

I'd vote for red as the colour I'd most want, except that there's already a dark orange and I doubt they'd have both. Otherwise I'd vote for yellow, green, or blue in terms of colours I would actually consider buying.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2007, 06:28:23 PM »
I would vote for yellow or that bright pink color (but without any glitter).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal