Author Topic: 2 diabolos in one hand  (Read 6616 times)

Chiok

• Donator
2 diabolos in one hand
« on: January 29, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »
Hey there, after giving three diabolos a bit of a go without much success, I think I'm jumping the gun a bit.
I'm trying to use a wrap start, like in the Diabology, thought it'd be the most convenient from a speed notion.  But getting into that position has proven most problematic as the idle shuffle is all too small when I transfer it to one hand, and when I try to jerk it to open it up, just seems to collapse the shuffe.

So are there any techniques as to how one might get a better one handed shuffle going?  Or any body that has had similar problems.  It'd be cool to do like Ryo at WJF with 2 in each hand.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Arjan

2 diabolos in one hand
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 11:51:05 PM »
I believe holding your sticks wider... making more speed... and be sure the pattern is still large when you go holding it in one hand. And practice a lot! Good luck with that!

barnesy

• Administrator
2 diabolos in one hand
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »
It helps to start with a big shuffle, with the sticks almost at right angles to each other so the gap between the ends of the sticks is quite wide.  I put my thumb between the sticks to keep them apart.

If you do two using both hands but with your hands close together, you'll get a feel for what you need to do for 2 in 1 hand.  

When the grip is right, you can just bounce your hand up and down, and the shuffle will stay at the same size as it was with two hands.   I twist the sticks clockwise a little.  I think that makes the right hand have more effect than the left, so my one handed shuffle is the same size and speed as my two diabolo shuffle.

You can see that a little in this movie: http://2diabolo.net/media/onehandrocketstart.mpg.  I'm hoping to film something a bit more helpful than that soon, maybe next weekend at the Glasgow convention.

2 in one
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »
when i try 3D with the circus, i cant seem to keep the 2D going until i can get the 3rd diabolo rapped and everything. one diabolo always comes off, any help on keeping the 2D shuffle going with one hand

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
2 in one
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 08:21:54 PM »
First of all you need to learn to accelerate the diabolos, usually by using a wrap acceleration then the diabolos will shuffle themselves so all you need to worry about is the alignment. If you are struggling with this though, I suggest working on some more 2 diabolo moves before even thinking about 3 diabolos.

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

2 in one
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:41:23 AM »
i already know 2D well, its just when i put both sticks in one hand, one falls off. maybe its because my strings aren't aligned parallel.probably

n3mo

Re: 2 diabolos in one hand
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 03:40:54 PM »
i haven't gotten anywhere with 3d, but ever try a trapeze stall (left diabolo is open, right one is in a trapeze, i think william does it)?
when you start the shuffle again by unwrapping the trapeze, it already gives it the basic shuffle motion/shape.
- Princeton Juggling Club -

Chiok

• Donator
Re: 2 diabolos in one hand
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:39:32 AM »
I've discovered holding the sticks wider apart to be very helpful.  Sticking a finger inbetween the two sticks to make an X gives plenty of spread.  If you find one diabolo popping off, it is because they're not inline which might be something inherent to your 2D shuffle anyway which you will have to work out with more practise.  It's all about making sure they're inline before you transfer both to one hand.

If this eludes you, 3D will see you running around trying to catch each diabolo.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal