Author Topic: Summer 2007  (Read 12799 times)

looby

• Donator
Re: Summer 2007
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »
Thanks to Jacob (I think) for adding some sense to this thread.  Responses like Arjan's can only discourage people (both Ilias and other people reading) from sharing their enthusiasm for diabolo.  I read the comments then watched the video, wondering what could be so bad that it deserved that kind of response.  I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.  So maybe it won't be winning any cinematography awards, maybe we've seen most of the tricks (there were certainly some in there I hadn't seen before), but that doesn't mean that nobody else will get anything from the video. 

Amen Barnesy.  Everyone hopes to come up with completely original material but it all comes down to it being very difficult to do.  Not all of us can get a couple of hours practice in each day, and sift through hundreds of videos seeking inspiration.  Even if you did, it takes a very creative and imaginitive mind to come up with stuff outside the box.  Its a credit to those who can but those individuals need to realize for others it isnt so easy.  I completely agree with Barnesy with regard to being discouraged.  I was hoping to post a video of some progress mainly for some improvement pointers and constructive criticism but if all videos are judged on 100% originality and editing then thats me screwed.

On topic, alright it wasnt the most original effort weve seen but Ilias did say it was progress over summer and progress can sometimes be slow.  Howabout toning down the superiority Arjan and trying to come across a tad more friendly, or even ignoring something that doesnt interest you?

Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Flo

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 05:19:22 PM »
Now for some non-negative words:
I liked your video, high skill level, good filming and editing (another proof that even with movie maker nice videos can be created - it was movie maker, right?).
If the video isnt liked by someone out there it still contains the information "hell theres another 14-year old doing 3 diabolos".

Flo (who also makes videos to show his progress - now come on and kill me :P )
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

mo3

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:12 PM »
Ilias i really enjoyed your vid.. i just wanted to say that it doesn't stand out of the crowd, because most of the videos out there are made like yours!

arjan ( and so do i ) likes videos that "tell you a story".. you know what i mean? It's not about being good, bad or anything else, it's just about the video itself..

and i liked the btb 720.. but you can't say it's new because you added one rotation ;)

I think you just rushed it :D .. like you already said in the beginning! I edit my videos for more than two weeks, and I release it when I'm completely pleased with the video i made :P

Greetings, I'm looking forward to seeing more videos from you.. talented guy :P

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »
I think you're a great diaboloist and I agree with Barnsey & Co.

If people can't demonstrate to others their skill level to compare and contrast skills and tricks why bother?

Furthermore, despite the fact that some tricks may be the same as others seen in other videos what's the big deal? Even if a trick is the same it's interesting to see how different people perform it as a question of style.

When I make a video and post it on the forum it's a big deal to me as I expect it is for Ilias and it's subsequently not pleasent to get over criticised for doing it.

My consrructive critism Ilias is perhaps improve on your backdrops to make the video a bit more interesting. Otherwise, great job.

Cheers.

karl e dangerous

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 07:49:51 PM »
i agree the kid is talented but havent we all seen it before DIABOLOGY contains almost all of them tricks somewhere on the 2 disks and no i cant do many of them i have only just attempted 2d and yeah i can pull off geno's and integrals but who cant on here thats why i dont make vids but if people stop making vids then there will be no next gen for diab so leave the kid alone well done ilias hope to see another vid soon and yeah there right do your feet have magnets get them movin kid much the love the dangerous one
sorry for my bad grammer

TimEllis

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 08:46:17 PM »
You can do soooo much more with video than using it just as a medium to show your tricks on the internet.

I'm curious.  What else can you do with video?  Showing my tricks to family/friends/diabolo.ca/the internet is certainly why I bought my camera and started filming...

To Ilias...I liked your video.  Very technical stuff, and well executed.
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

The Void

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »
yeah i can pull off geno's and integrals but who cant on here

Me. :-)

The Void
1997 or bust!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:17 AM »
I think the general response to posts like Arjan's is "don't feed the troll."

But, it sure got a good discussion going didn't it? This forum could use some more lively ones like this.

Ilias

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad to know there were people who did like my video :)

Arjan

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
I think the general response to posts like Arjan's is "don't feed the troll."

But, it sure got a good discussion going didn't it? This forum could use some more lively ones like this.

Yes Duncan, that's what I'm mainly trying to do recently. There where times when I saw video's and just kept my mouth, and I don't think that's why people open a topic and share their creations.

Especially this video from Illias, he has got a load of skills. It really disappointed me to see the usual diabolo video. Give it just a litle bit more effort and time, and it will come out much much better.

I apologize if I turned people down or demotivated them but you must understand I not doing this because I like bitching at people, I'm doing it because I expect much more from you guy's.

It was a bit rude, but it got the attention.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal