Author Topic: 1d Bouncing over arm/btb  (Read 6111 times)

fredo

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« on: March 08, 2006, 04:44:06 PM »
I couldn't find a thread, so I opened a new one...

Could someone describe the trick where you're in over leg / behind the back satellite position but let the diab bounce to and fro? I don't get anywhere with it..

What's the trick about it? What's the movement?

Over the leg seems to be possible, but no success with btb...

HELP! :P

frank0072

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:55:24 PM »
yes, I have been trying it too, it looks soo easy, but I can't pull it off. What's the secret.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Matt_

• Donator
1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:52:02 PM »
let me take a stab at what you mean, do you mean over the body ricochets? if you go to my new years video (SCJ - new years.avi, if you search for it like that), go to 5:10 and you see me doing over body satellites to ricochets. is that it...? or did i totally miss the point.

if that's it, then i can explain, if i missed the point then nevermind :P

ming

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:53:20 PM »
The trick to it is to keep your string tense and don't let the diabolo roll when it hits the string just absorb the shock then flick it back over the other side.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 07:12:27 PM »
I struggled with this trick for ages because no one I knew could do it. Keep your arms nice and wide and string tight. Then if you practice it will click suddenly and you will be able to do it.
Behind your back is your front.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:20:29 PM »
I think the trick you're referring to is one i first learnt as over the foot window wipers, but can be transferred to over the leg or over both legs or whatever.  Generally with over the leg or foot keeping the string tights right, but i find that with over both legs (btb) its more the precision of being able to catch and throw without the diab rolling along the string at all so it needs to be a very controlled catch, so rather than just catching the diab and trying to stop it as quick as possible you're trying to slow it down gradually to keep control.

fredo

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:17:57 PM »
Yes I mean the ricochets...So I have to keep my arms wide...

Ceri-Anne showed me over bothe legs ricochets in Ieper, it was amazingly fast and she was able to do it while looking around...RESPECT for that...

Thx for your help, keep on writing anyway :P

Chiok

• Donator
1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 09:26:03 AM »
Quote from: JGherkin
I think the trick you're referring to is one i first learnt as over the foot window wipers
I fully understand what trick Fredo is looking for, but isn't the term "window wipers" reserved for that family of tricks such as "milking the cow"?  

But what's in a name, the trick's the same.  Ricochets sound cool though.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 10:16:09 AM »
I completely agree, I didn't know if ricochets were a different trick or not though cause I haven't seen/can't remember the vid Matt_ mentioned, and then I thought they must be referring to a completely different trick when fredo said they were ricochets.  :?  O well, all sorted now :)

Twilite

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »
When I learnt them, first I was trying to bouce the diablo off the string and straight back to the other side. This really doesn't work very well, is inaccurate, and I failed quite miserably.
When I though "catch, then throw back" it worked much better. Don't try and hit the diablo straight back, cushion it's landing then flick it back over. That's much smoother and more reliable. Once that works, you can work on making the catch and rethrow into one smooth movement, and it looks like you're just bouncing it, but without the unreliability of swatting at the diablo.

Hope we're talking about the same thing!
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

fredo

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 03:16:57 PM »
just to make it clear we're really talking about that trick Matt_ described. It's at 5:10 in the new years video...

Thx for your help. I'Äll try later... :)

frank0072

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 03:48:22 PM »
yes, this makes it all a lot easier to understand. the problem now is that I can't practice, the living room is full of women...  8)
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

martijn

1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 04:55:27 PM »
Quote from: frank0072
the problem now is that I can't practice, the living room is full of women...

Is that really a problem? :P But we're going offtopic now :wink:

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 06:10:41 PM »
For me, it was important to really move the string behind my body. A lot of string on the side where you "catch" the diabolo, and when you bounce it to the other side, you move your hands so that you have enough string on the other side.
A second thing.. I think you should make the amount of time that the diabolo is in contact with the string as short as possible. Don't panic and hop the diabolo everywhere, but try to do it controlled. And slowly make the contact-time shorter, so that you eventually get the real bounce-effect.

Matt_

• Donator
1d Bouncing over arm/btb
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 06:57:51 PM »
i dont know how you guys havent seen the video im referring to, but here's the link just in case: http://lpbk.net/jugglemirror/SCJ_-_new_years.avi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal