Author Topic: No practice equals learning tricks?  (Read 4061 times)

diabolofreak617

No practice equals learning tricks?
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:53:03 PM »
Hi all,
I've been diaboloing for a little over a year now and I have by no means been practicing faithfully every day. With that said I was attempting to do a couple arm orbits the other day (without practicing previously at all) and after a few tries I got them down consistently. Well I couldn't believe that I had mastered arm orbits in about 15 minutes flat and was wondering how I could complete a trick that had had me stumped for over a year :o. Anybody ever had this happen to them before?

Jon
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

Matt D

Re: No practice equals learning tricks?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 03:01:52 PM »
I think with all basic tricks this happens with, because they don't really take practice, you just need to get the feeling and once you get the feeling you can do it.

diabolofreak617

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »
I think with all basic tricks this happens with

I thought about that but when I started to work on the mini-genocide it started to come to me in the same way. To me a Mini-g is a close to expert trick but to the general crowd here it may not be. ::)

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »
Sometimes it can be good to take a break from trying a trick. When i first started learning fans i was hopeless. So i stopped and learned other things and didn't even think about fans. Came back to them a month later, tried it and came easily. Your brain needs time to work things out, even if your not doing it, your brain thinks about it. And also theres the argument that you gain other important skills in the time you aren't practicing the trick, even if you don't know it. So when you come back to it, it's easier.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:05:05 PM »
do you think it will work for three low? because i have been working on it for AGES and i am really getting annoyed now.

Tom Derrick

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »
do you think it will work for three low? because i have been working on it for AGES and i am really getting annoyed now.
Nope. I've not been practicing three low for a year and a half, and I've made no progress whatsoever.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:17:41 AM »
I'm a great believer in the power of Positive Mental Attitude, if you think you can, maybe you can.  Always ending a practice session on a high-note gives your mind and body time to reflect on what has been achieved so muscle memory can kick in.  

What Pete says is very true, practicing other things and doing other things allows for cross-learning and develop skills you may require in other areas.  So don't agonise for hours over one trick, go and do something else like playing Scrabble or doing your homework.

Chiok
*edit* - ah, you're just rubbish Tom, that's all :-P
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

diabolofreak617

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 12:00:15 AM »
It was a mere week ago that I created this thread and at the time I was just starting to get the hang of Mini-gs. I've run into a small snag which is not completely devastating but still enough to make me think about what I'm doing wrong. It seems that when I attempt a mini-g the tip of the handstick always catches the axle when it is about to clear the diabolo. I've tried putting more tension on the swinging stick, letting the stick go early and late yet it still manages to catch the axle. I can still do a mini-g most of the time but it is always accompanied by a loud "clang" and the possibility of it losing it smoothness while in flight. I'll think about this some more but I was curious what you guys would come up with.

Jon

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 05:46:16 PM »
swing it more perhaps? im not sure, never had that problem, but sounds like it could be in the momentum. i never liked min gens or any stick releases with henry alus, dirty sticks.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Nahxela

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
I suggest holding the string a bit closer to the held stick while you're swinging. That way the length of the string that you catch the diabolo on will be longer so  you'll be able to avoid hitting the stick on the catch.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

diabolofreak617

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 08:37:11 PM »
Maybe I should have explained it better earlier but my problem occurs during the beginning half of the trick (the stick release after a right backside).

seán_

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:06:46 PM »
diabolofreak, maybe taking your minig probs to a thread about minig's might get you the answers you are looking for?

Please attempt to keep threads ontopic guys, it makes the forum a lot more usefull.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal