Author Topic: Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2007 (organizational thread)  (Read 22519 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2007 (organizational thread)
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »
You've waited for it. Now it's here: The 2007 Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video.

In case you've forgotten, have a look at last year's awesome video to remember what this is all about.

Get your video to me by August 31st.

Ways to get your clip to me:
-If you can, upload it to your own server and send me a link
-Upload it to a free temporary file host. There are many available. For ex. http://www.wikiupload.com or http://www.mediafire.com/
-If you don't want to use a free host, let me know and I'll create a temporary ftp account on the diabolo.ca server for you.

Then email me at sean "at" diabolo "dot" ca and tell me where it is.

-Please also let me know your name as you would like it to appear in the video.
-To keep video quality high, please submit in DV-AVI format (ideal) or a compressed but very high bitrate and full-framed video format

I will do my very best to include everybody, so please keep the quality of the video recording high! Borrow a real video camera if you must. Think about proper lighting and being visible on your background. Use a tripod if you can!

I would encourage you to keep your clip relatively short (5-10 seconds); submit multiple short clips if you'd like; and above all have fun with it! Tricks do not have to be hard, although creativity and experimentation are encouraged.

Don't miss your opportunity to be a part of this great community project. It only happens once a year. Get your video to me by August 31st. That's only 2 weeks away, so get filming!

Sean

yonm13

Re: Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2007 (organizational thread)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:23:27 PM »
Hey Sean..
yeah, you're right, i've waited for it.
I was wondering... does it have to be our trick in order to be accepted into this collaboration video?
i mean, what if i saw the trick i am willing to send or any trick that looks pretty close to it on someone's video?
i was willing to send my 2/3 times floor bounced Excalibur Whip catch.
and i was also wondering about how good should the video quality be..
is the video quality appearing in the beginning (0:00-0:11)  of this video of me and my friend( http://youtube.com/watch?v=apmFUCXCUuA ) fine?
or maybe the video quality appearing on 2:20? (with less light on the take..)
thanks for your answer!
Absolutely NOTHING Here.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »
It's hard to tell on youtube because it's resized and highly compressed. It looks better around 2:20.

I'd say you'll need to have a frame size of at least 640x480 and ideally recorded with a real video camera (not a digital camera).

Please send in your footage unedited and ideally uncompressed.

Of course, ideally you send in something completely new. It's probably bad form to completely copy someone else's signature move (and not that interesting)... but I'd say very few moves fit into that category. We're looking for something entertaining to watch that pushes what we've thought of doing with the diabolo. ie. rehashing old stuff probably isn't that entertaining.

yonm13

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:40 PM »
Yeah, but on last year's collaboration video, Martijn added tempei's continues Excalibur Genocides (Which i think is something really great, but not very creative and undone by other people... by the way, i am not talking about tempei's original style which i personally like but  don't think it helps the trick itself get out of the "done things" category).
i wrote that i was willing to send some excalibur move, such as 2/3 floor bounced whip catch, or some nice suns i figured out myself.. i remember seeing someone doing an excalibur genocide with a floor bounce and maybe even a floor bounced whip catch, but i think making it double or triple makes the move "cooler" or at least more difficult.
even though you said it yourself, the move doesn't have to be that complicated but at least original.. i find those things pretty orignal.
about the video quality..
the video on 2:20 is an eyetoy camera.. i don't know it's exact size and compression but what i can tell is that the video was 2.87 MB for 1:15. (I can capture a bigger file- way bigger one, but i think it's just like that because it is uncompressed).
I don't think i might be able to get a video camera, at least not in 2 weeks.
thanks again..
Absolutely NOTHING Here.

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:07:22 PM »
Thanks for taking up the editing-job Sean, since I've got my hands full this year. I've got a lot of new stuff and our D.ca collaboration video is a great way to share them :)

Yeah, but on last year's collaboration video, Martijn added tempei's continues Excalibur Genocides...

You're right, not ALL the tricks I received were very creative, even though I asked people to submit new/creative/experimental stuff. Some of them didn't make the video, simply because they didn't fit. I decided to put in this very trick because it was executed with such style and was filmed on such a nice location, it had to go in (besides... if this was Tempei's only clip, I would have asked him to film something more original, but that wasn't the case, he had like 2 or 3 very nice excalibur tricks). So it depends. Don't try to be the odd trick out that's not original... if you know what I mean. See your submission as a VotW.

As said before and stated in the "How to submit a VotW" thread, you don't need a lot of technical skill to think of something new. The most simple little things are often the most beautiful. Can't wait for the final result!

seán_

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
yonm13, Send the best you have/can get, if it makes the grade it will be in keep in mind

...I will do my very best to include everybody

... and above all have fun with it! Tricks do not have to be hard, although creativity and experimentation are encouraged.

Don't miss your opportunity to be a part of this great community project. It only happens once a year. Get your video to me by August 31st. That's only 2 weeks away, so get filming!

Sean

So less analysing and more action please... (plus talking about which trick you are planning to submit in public like this ruins the surprise)

yonm13

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:23:34 PM »
Thanks Martijn for your answer.
I understand it right now. from what both of you wrote i understand that using this kind of thing just won't go, so i will start looking for something else.
Sean, i thought about that exact thing you mantioned in your last message, but knowing if this kind of trick would fit was more important to me then keeping it secret untill the video is published..
Don't worry, i'll get something else to work =]
thanks all.
Absolutely NOTHING Here.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 12:01:39 AM »
Wow I defo want to take part in this !

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 01:09:12 AM »
Yeah, all those that wished they had taken part in this last year better get their skates on as it's a long time to wait until the "next time" (unless you move slower in skates).  I think I will come up with something a bit more fitting this time around, my hands aren't nearly that interesting.

Is there a theme for this years?  I like themes as I think it gives direction, "Experimental" on last year's video was quite nice as many of the clips were "outside of the box".  Thanks for kicking this off Sean, I think it'll be super.  Remember high-quality video capture!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »
I think we wanna keep the same theme :) Worked well last year!

Ilias

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:53:44 AM »
Yes I waited for it ;D I think I already know something to film, I only have to learn it first :D

looby

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »
I really really need to find a video camera.  If I do and capture my proposed moment on tape I will be absolutely gutted if it doesnt make the final cut.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
Sean, we totally have to get a couple of those new tricks filmed for this one ;)

-Duncan

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 04:36:45 AM »
The videos are already starting to pile in! To save me from writing this over and over: To export DV-AVI in Windows Movie Maker:

Now your file is big. Don't you dare try and email that as an attachment. ;) Upload it somewhere and let me know.

Martijn

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »
Yup, what Sean said. And just to state the obvious: if you live in Europe it will say 'DV-AVI (PAL)'.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »
I'm leaving to weeks in the north of france, and I'm back on the 1st.
I'm not sure they will be computers where I'll be able to upload my files, any chances I could have a extra delay of 1-2 days if I don't find anything ?

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 02:22:12 PM »
Is it the overall mb of what we send in or just if one video is that long. For instance can we attach many small clips.
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 04:51:26 PM »
You have 15 days to get your video clip into the 2007 Diabolo.ca collaboration video.

If your clip is less than 100mb might I suggest http://www.mediafire.com/

If your clip is bigger than 100mb, http://www.wikiupload.com/ should do the trick.

If you really don't want to use one of these, let me know and I'll give you a temporary diabolo.ca ftp account.

DV-AVI please. If you can email me the clip, it's not in DV-AVI.

any chances I could have a extra delay of 1-2 days if I don't find anything ?
Probably, but I can't guarantee it. Better late than never!

Is it the overall mb of what we send in or just if one video is that long. For instance can we attach many small clips.
Not sure I get what you're asking. Yes you can send multiple clips if you'd like. The point is, if they're DV-AVI they're going to be rather large in size no matter how short they are.

n3mo

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
just wondering, by DV-AVI do you mean the file extension is .avi?
the only recording device i have is a digital camera that records in quicktime; i can convert it to these:

is the .avi fine?
- Princeton Juggling Club -

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:06 PM »
No, avi is just a container format - it's just an extension that can represent many types of compression. Send it to me in the original format. Don't recompress it!! Video cameras typically capture in DV-AVI, hence DV-AVI is the highest quality you could send it in. Converting formats will only lose some quality.

A quicktime video from a digital camera may not be high enough video quality. It should be at least 640 x 480... even then we'll have to see. Can you borrow a video camera?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal