Author Topic: Learning 2 diabolo! keeping the shuffle going  (Read 106227 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Learning 2 diabolo! keeping the shuffle going
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 03:21:42 PM »
Quote from: seán_
I believe -Fred- has a really nice clip of corrections but I cant see it on his site

I don't think there is a link on his site. It is a great video. Fred, hope you don't mind us reposting it here:
http://diabolos.zonealta.net/videos/2d/divers/2dcorrections.avi

(That's in an XVID codec)

Sean

Eduardo

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 04:14:04 PM »
I'm starting to try two diabolos, I tried a few starts and the wrap one seems to be the only one I can pull, the throwing one either myself or someone else only pops the already spinning diabolo out of the string far to my right side and I didn't managed to unwrap the diabolo fast enough in the wrap start.

The problem is, I can only manage a few shuffles, the diabolos start to get closer and closer and they crash.

Maybe my handsticks are too close? I need some tips... thanks in advance

diabololi

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 04:34:20 PM »
Eduardo-
Which stick are you using to shuffle the diabolos, are you pushing each one over with your left stick? Or are you following each diabolo round with you right?

Oli

Tom_G

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 05:06:19 PM »
A few things:

1. When I'm correcting the far cup, my string almost always goes too far over the diabolo, and it falls off the string. Should I catch the diabolo normally and then just after it lands try to correct it, or should I just try tapping it a bit closer the axle?

2. When I'm doing the shuffle, the diabolo I throw in always ends up facing to the left (the axle of the diabolo always looks like  \  compared to |  ) - I guess this will just get better in time, but if anyone has any tips...

3. How do you do a wrap start?? Sorry if I'm being dim, but I cant find any tutorials or videos anywhere  :? (the correction video doesn't work for me :( )

4. Once I've got a fairly good shuffle going, what would be a good trick to start trying? Something easy that will give me a bit of confidence please  :wink:

Thanks a lot!  :D

One piece of advice to Eduardo: concentrate on the left stick to start with. I know this is completely the wrong movement, but it will get about 10 or 15 shuffles going before the diabolos fall off the string. Once you're fairly confident with the general feel of this, start using the right hand more and the left hand less. Hey, it worked for me, but I guess everyone's different... Also, the sticks are supposed to be close, so youre probably right there.

Keep trying  :)

Tom
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

seán_

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2004, 05:38:57 PM »
Quote from: Tom_G
A few things:

1. When I'm correcting the far cup, my string almost always goes too far over the diabolo, and it falls off the string. Should I catch the diabolo normally and then just after it lands try to correct it, or should I just try tapping it a bit closer the axle?

This caused me kittens at first so now I turn my hand so the point of the stick kind of faces me, this might help but I do remember the whole far cup correction thing took a while. some people correct the near cup 'normally' and use a grind to deal with problems that involve the far cup.

2. When I'm doing the shuffle, the diabolo I throw in always ends up facing to the left (the axle of the diabolo always looks like  \  compared to |  ) - I guess this will just get better in time, but if anyone has any tips...

Probably just a practice thing or if you know it happens a correction early on (first pass or so). If practice doesnt help maybe find a slightly different throw in style. I throw in from the left butterfly style most times as this seems to work well for me.

Video of Left Hand Butterfly start forgive my ropey shuffle and slight missalignment ;)

3. How do you do a wrap start?? Sorry if I'm being dim, but I cant find any tutorials or videos anywhere  :? (the correction video doesn't work for me :( )

Get one up and spinning, gather both sticks in one hand (left) now you have to put the other diabolo in a backwrap (I'd sugest looking at a few videos to see how they do it) there are a few ways.
One is to hold the far cup, place the axle on the inside of the string, lift the diabolo anticlockwise over the handstick, you now have a wrap on the diabolo and your hand holding the far cup. this can be span from here but is awkward so move your hand so you are cupping both bells (right hand side), when you are ready, give the diabolo a spin, grab the handstick and send the diabolo over the lright stick and into the shuffle. A bit of practice is needed so get the right action.

There are other methods of getting the backwrap on but really it lends itself to pictures or videos

Older string might help here, really new string can be a bit too slippy when learning wrap starts.
Also people find that this method can turn the diabolo / so maybe try starting the spin with the diabolo slightly \

4. Once I've got a fairly good shuffle going, what would be a good trick to start trying? Something easy that will give me a bit of confidence please  :wink:

Thanks a lot!  :D

I'd suggest backwraps or stopovers, both are covered on www.2diabolo.net , both are simmilar . Backwraps are handy because they are a great way to get speed up.  They are also good practice for wrap starts (and vice versa), there are more tricks there that I think most diaboloists have a pop at when getting to grips with tricks (I was happy to get two going, I never thought I would be able to do tricks)

One piece of advice to Eduardo: concentrate on the left stick to start with. I know this is completely the wrong movement, but it will get about 10 or 15 shuffles going before the diabolos fall off the string. Once you're fairly confident with the general feel of this, start using the right hand more and the left hand less. Hey, it worked for me, but I guess everyone's different... Also, the sticks are supposed to be close, so youre probably right there.

Keep trying  :)

Tom

Yup, I'd say one thing with the left is that it is worth thinking about what kind of motion you have, I think if you lift up and then slightly to the left you might find the shuffle starting to open up, then as Tom mentions get the right hand driving and ease of with the left.

I dont think its wrong to use the left in the shuffle but I do think its important to get the right hand driving down so I usually say you need to use the left to get the shuffle started then let the right do the work. Some people stick to this others use both hands (asynch) or a combination of hands as and when they have the basic shuffle motion down.

Hope that helps a bit
some more tips can be found in this post
Starting and correcting 2 diabolos

Seán

diabololi

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2004, 06:30:01 PM »
Wow, you're probably right, I've been teaching my friend 2 diabolos and he only uses his left stick and I told him he was doing it wrong. I guess I should just let him get on with it.

Oli

Tom_G

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2004, 06:49:50 PM »
That's great, seán_ - everything I need to know! I didn't expect such a long reply - and in such a short time!  :D

It's all down to practice now I guess.... that backwrap is going to be annoying me for a while  :P

Quote from: seán_
(I was happy to get two going, I never thought I would be able to do tricks)

Don't get me wrong - I'm really happy to be able to do two :) I guess I'm just impatient  :lol:

Thanks again
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Eduardo

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2004, 07:34:26 PM »
Thanks a lot people I'll give it another go today at the club (I don't have two diabolos else I'd try it everyday, I'm happy my sister will buy me one for the christmas :P) I'll tell you tomorrow if I made any progress.

j0hn

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »
hello,

i'm new to here (although been reading it for 6 months or so), and i'm hoping that some of you more experienced with 2 diabolos can help me out on something causing me unecessary frustration!

i started learning 2d earlier this year, and through all the advice given on this forum, various videos and a massively good workshop by sean and dave p at shefcon this year (thanks muchly!) i have my shuffle technique down and bagged a few simple tricks too. however, something that has been constantly hindering me is the position / angle of the handsticks and how that affects the alignment of the diabolos.

basically, i got  told by a number of people that if the sticks are roughly pointing towards each other, it helps. what tends to happen when i have them like that is they fall out of line very quickly - not tipping backwards and forwards, but instead of circling parallel to the body, one of them (usually the right) will tend to go further away from the body. i've watched loads of videos of people shuffling 2 and tried to copy their technique, especially from the barnesy "just 2" vid, but to no avail. no matter what angle i put the handsticks at, none of them seem to want to keep pushing the diabolos around level to each other.

any ideas? if anyone could give me any advice or tell me the exact stick positions they use when shuffling 2, it would be greatly appreciated  :)

seán_

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 01:51:29 PM »
Hi  J0hn

Glad that Dave P's workshop (that I was helping with) was of use to you.

It sounds like you might be popping a diabolo out of line with one or the other hand (Most likely the left))

the things I did when this was happening to me

I had somebody look at my shuffle from the side
I tried to use my right hand a bit more allowing the shuffle to pop the diabolo over.
I played around with how I held the sticks from both pointing forward to both in line with the string and mixing the directions.
I tried holding my sticks shorter

My standard stick position (one that works for me) is sticks at  nearly right angles, left stick pointing right, right stick pointing forward ( actually 2 oclock and 11) but I change the positions when I do certain tricks and change the shape of the shuffle etc. When I do this, especially with the left, I try to move the sticks in such a way that i dont disturb the string alignmnent too much.

HTH of you go and practice
Sean_

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 01:09:54 AM »
I've got this problem a bit as well with misaligned sticks.  It tends to make me correct more than I should need to.  When I notice it happen, it's usually my left hand infront, so I try and pull it back bit by bit to move the shuffle back to plane.  This is a very annoying habit that I need to really sort. Although you'll need to break plane with lots of moves unfortunately like vortices.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

wua05

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2005, 02:43:06 AM »
hi i just started working on 2d about a week ago.  when i throw in a diabolo, i manage to "drive" the diabolo.  However, i can only drive 1/2, instead of how everyone can do 2/2.  this may sound confusing, but i mean that when i drive the 1st diabolo, the second diabolo comes in and i dont have time to drive it.  by the time im ready to drive the daibolo, the 1st one comes.  is there any advice i can get?

Hoop

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2005, 06:21:35 PM »
Are you having one diabolo orbit the other?  I think that is a trick in and of itself.  What I mean is, does the shuffle keep going or fall apart from your problem?

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2005, 04:39:54 AM »
Quote from: wua05
hi i just started working on 2d about a week ago.  when i throw in a diabolo, i manage to "drive" the diabolo.  However, i can only drive 1/2, instead of how everyone can do 2/2.  this may sound confusing, but i mean that when i drive the 1st diabolo, the second diabolo comes in and i dont have time to drive it.  by the time im ready to drive the daibolo, the 1st one comes.  is there any advice i can get?

I'm not 100 percent sure what you mean, but if you are having the second diabolo come down to close to the one already on the string, that's a problem I had for a while.
I had to force myself to focus on getting the on-string diabolo as far to the left as possible as quickly as possible.
Also, getting the on-string diabolo to roll up towards the left hand stick should give you a little more time.

don't forget to download barnsey's video of himself doing 2d with no tricks. Very helpful.

wua05

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »
can you give me the link to that video?

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »
Quote from: wua05
can you give me the link to that video?

http://dreamhost.barnesy.org/just2.mpg

Here you go!
 Also what a great opportunity to say, Thanks Barnesy!

wua05

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2005, 05:32:38 PM »
Thanks Barnesy!

Quote from: tomangleberger
getting the on-string diabolo as far to the left as possible as quickly as possible.

yes i think this is where i am having trouble, because i do it too slow.  when i drive one, i dont have time to drive the next one, so i wait for the first one again.  yes, kinda confusing, but sorry  :lol:

wua05

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2005, 04:21:47 AM »
i seem to have fixed this problem.  now i am faced with learning how to correct :-/

edit- okay now i can do it pretty much the same way as barnsy does it.  but, after a while one diabolo is much more "forward" than the other one, although they are still paralel, if u understand that.  what am i doing wrong?

oh btw is it better to have the diabolos revolving in a circular way or an eliptical way?

mofosyko

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2005, 03:11:38 AM »
It depends really, circular is a better position to enter some tricks with. The shuffle should be pretty circular anyway, if its not then the diabolos are probably hopping onto the other side instead of rolling around.

eggy900

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2005, 04:03:59 PM »
Quote from: Matt Pang
Some times taking a break from something you've been doing a lot can help as well....i know when i was learning to juggle 5 balls (bit different i know, lol.) if i took a break for half a day or a day and went back to it, it always seemed to be better than it was before, dunno why. Just don't let yourself get frustrated...

i agree, a couple of months ago i could only do a few shuffles but when i tried again last week i managed a good 30 or so, a break does help

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal