Author Topic: Stopping Yoho Superspin from loosening  (Read 3055 times)

William

• VotW Contributor
Stopping Yoho Superspin from loosening
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:15:04 AM »
Hey guys.

Well, after practicing Vertax for an hour or two at a time the diabolos come loose and unstable many, many times and it gets annoying continually having to re-tighten the diabolo. Does anyone have any suggestions to stop them from coming loose? Or at least staying tight from longer?

I'll upload pictures of the inside or the cup to show people what it looks like soon.

Cheers
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Nick

• Donator
Re: Stopping Yoho Superspin from loosening
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:27:57 PM »
I'm not familiar with the axle setup on a Superspin, so this is just generic advice.
You could try wrapping the axle thread with PTFE Plumber's Tape. This should provide a tighter seal, making it less likely to undo. You could also try using Loctite to hold the nuts on, for a more permanent solution.

I'm not sure how either of these will affect the YoHo's bearing system, though.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:17:47 PM »
Not getting it close to the bearing will normally be fine.  Getting any loctite into the bearings will most definitely seize them all up.  So apply carefully.  You'd be better off with the plumber's tape as Nick suggested.  It's a rather stretchy, surprisingly unsticky tape you can buy in the *shock* plumbing section of hardware shops on a small roll.  It gives the threads a bit more of something to engage, although if the pitch of the threads is a bit small, this might not be possible.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 04:25:28 PM »
off topic

does anyone know whether superspins are still readily available?

lz

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
i have a spinabolo and it keeps going loose and it seems everytime i tighten it again it doesnt tighten quite as much. would the answer to this be the same? plumbers tape?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:04:09 AM »
loctite or any other threadlock solution is the best method (PTFE tape works for a while but will eventually come loose again) - just apply a small drop of threadlock onto the thread of the bolt, screw on the endcaps and leave for about an hour - it should never come loose again (you may need some grips to ever get it undone again though).  It wont get anywhere near the bearing part if you do this with the cups still on.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 09:08:11 AM »
off topic

does anyone know whether superspins are still readily available?

lz

No. They have stopped being manufactured. Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to mod them when (or maybe before) I get Flys. Any ideas for getting rid of the grooves inside the cup? I think I might sand them off and see if it improves UFO grind ability.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 01:10:28 PM »
Any ideas for getting rid of the grooves inside the cup? I think I might sand them off and see if it improves UFO grind ability.
might work, the diabolo diffinately wouldnt be as strong though. sanding will take for ever! maybe chisel off first.
my superspin is always coming loose too, you must be getting tired of tightening it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal