Author Topic: What next?; suggestions for future products and what a diabolist really wants  (Read 17424 times)

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
Re: What next?; suggestions for future products and what a diabolist really wants
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 07:06:38 PM »
wouldnt be very practical would it? :P a bit of felt is definitely strong enough for infinite suicides :D

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: What next?; suggestions for future products and what a diabolist really wants
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »
Plastic on the outside with glue and stuff?

Actually that's a thing I'd like to see: Stick ends made from rubber that doesn't chew up on concrete.
Behind your back is your front.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
Re: What next?; suggestions for future products and what a diabolist really want
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »
xtreme g2s with the silicone grips, and aluminuim screw tips.

p.s. anyone know where i can get silicone tubing?
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

nev

• Donator
Re: What next?; suggestions for future products and what a diabolist really want
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 06:45:19 PM »
p.s. anyone know where i can get silicone tubing?
Devilstick handsticks
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »
They'll fit on extremes g2/g3 ?

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »
The 2mm diameter handsticks work fine with the g2 xtremes.

http://firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Devil_Stick_Hand_Sticks.html

Get a pair, cut them up to the length you want, and slide them on. Hairspray seems to work for keeping them stuck on the aluminum, although there are probably better options.

As for g3s, some sets have the silicone option already, so there's almost no reason to strip that off and put devilstick silicone on.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
Quote from: Nev
Devilstick handsticks
Now that idea, i like. Give that man a prize.

Quote from: Duncan
As for g3s, some sets have the silicone option already, so there's almost no reason to strip that off and put devilstick silicone on.

I hate g3's. But thanks for the link to the handsticks.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 12:29:34 AM »
Now that idea, i like. Give that man a prize.

I hate g3's. But thanks for the link to the handsticks.

No probs - hope the steel thread is working out for you OK?.

The g2's also came with silicone grips as far as I remember - & I hate the g3 also
(Still have a supply of g2 tips ;D)
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

nev

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 12:37:27 AM »
also i would love to see carbons that dont waste string! i like long carbons and they waste loads of string!

Like these?
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1373.msg31069#msg31069

seán_

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »
Henrys yellow in white (stylish suit -check, rakish hat-check, gleaming white diabolos and sticks-check, classy looking workable string-???)
Oh and why not have a variety of colours while we are at it.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 09:14:35 PM »
http://firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Devil_Stick_Hand_Sticks.html

Thanks for the link, makes me want to try to use the splitted colours models :P

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »
Saw the effect of UV light on my henrys yellow for the first time the other day, looked pretty cool especialy as I was performing in a dark pub. Made me think how great glow-in-the-dark white henrys string would look if it existed, is that even possible?
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 01:02:44 AM »
It would probably play like poo on a stick, not very useful and sticks to everything.  It's such a fine line with string that any sort of coating or change to the plastic would give it drastically different properties, I think.

I think Pete is looking for some aluminium threads if someone who's allowed to use a lathe and ring-die could sort him out.  Silicone handgrips are the way to go, they protect the ends of the sticks and are nice and grippy.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 04:55:39 PM »
I'm sorted for aluminium threads now, got an engineer friend to whip some up for me. A little short but they'll do for now. Thanks anyway.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 08:13:24 PM »
One of the current trends in yo-yoing is the use of hub stacks. These are 2 additional bearings securely mounted along the same axis as the yo-yo's axle. See the picture below (the hub stack is the white plastic part in the middle):

I made one kit with this idea for a circus with this idea. It is not very good yet, makes the diabolo wobbly and doesn't have actual bearings.. But it works. Let's just call it a prototype. I'll post you pictures if you want to. Or even video if come up with something funky with this thing  ;).

diabolofreak617

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 08:19:55 PM »
I'll post you pictures if you want to. Or even video if come up with something funky with this thing  ;).

Sounds great! I'm curious as to what direction this idea will go. Maybe hub stacks will someday be a neat addition to diabolos.
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »

Ok, there you go. With crappy quality and little overview of my messy desk. Basicly the black/grey part spins, so you can crab it while rest of the diabolo keeps spinning.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 08:29:53 PM »
does it work well?

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »
To be honest, it's not great. The hub stack works fine (I guess it could lot better, no experience with other stacks of any kind) when is used. When you hold it the diabolo keeps the spin quite nicely. But the kit makes my diabolo annoyingly heavy and wobbly. Wobblynes is mainly due to bad engineering, I couldn't get the 'stack' or whatever perfectly straight with the parts and tools I have at the moment.

Maybe I'll try to make it nicer in the future, But I'm proud of it for now, it is, after all, made of two little wheels and some iron bolts and nuts.

edit: I made some significant changes to the system, it is sweet now. More info/pics later.

Jim!

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »
That would be ideal!

I also think that a diabolo company should work on a pair of strong wooden sticks that don't have you tying the string on and then have it get all twisted up during routine play. 

When I started a mate gave me a pair of old wooden sticks that had the string going in like an alloy henrys. They were quite beefy & did brake in the end (the pressure on the hole was too much in their old age, & this seems to be the case with many conversions on cheap wooden sticks.), but I only got them cos they had been chewed by a dog!

Anyway, I would really really like to see a better range of coulors for Finnese G3's, especially BLACK so I can have Skankin diabolo's! Could Mr Babache please make these whilst he makes the white G3's please?!?!?!?!?!?! Oh, and a white hub just to finish it off!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal